What's the stupidest ruling you've ever seen a Ref make?

davemurphy

Re: What's the stupidest ruling you've ever seen a Ref make?

The ref basically warns Reid for punching Sven on the chin and doesnt call a knockdown, even though Sven is throwing the headbutt in constantly Reid is deducted for it....its the worst piece of corrupt refereeing I have ever seen!!

Edited by mofo2

Paul Sita in Gainer v Norwood

He rules a KO from a 20 count following a low blow...not sure what rule book he was reading

LOL, I remember that one. Paul Sita was a really good Referee, watched him work at least a couple hundred fights on USA Network's Tuesday Night Fights series, and that was the only time I remember him screwing up, but it was huge! I always wondered if there was something confusing in the WBA rulebook that he was misinterpreting, since it was their title that was being contested. I have no doubt that it was based on something, Scott, he wasn't just making it up, but it sure was bizarre.

The ref basically warns Reid for punching Sven on the chin and doesnt call a knockdown, even though Sven is throwing the headbutt in constantly Reid is deducted for it....its the worst piece of corrupt refereeing I have ever seen!!

LOL, I'd never seen that one before, Mofo. What the hell?????? :mlol:

Reid was completely robbed of the title that night!

For me it was in the disputed Emmanuel Augustus-Courtney Burton fight when Ref Dan Kelley deducts a point for Augustus SPINNING HIMSELF out of a clinch.

At the 38:22 mark of this clip:

--- Didn't see the clinch, spin or deduction.

Could write a dissertation of deliberate and congenital idiocies of Laurence Cole and Joe Cortez. Gotta figure that boxing, like the police force, military, politics, ect, they pull from the general populace attached to that kind of work which is where all the outrage comes since they are supposed to be a cut above but seldom are.

Good, rough fighters Burton and Augustus who was a big fan favorite for a while.

--- Didn't see the clinch, spin or deduction.

Look again.

The point deduction itself is at 37:12 on the YouTube Clip.

The 38:22 I mentioned is when they come back from the between-rounds-commercial-break and show the replay in the righthand corner of the screen, and then Atlas mentions that between rounds Tessitore had asked Ref Joe Kelley what he'd deducted the point for and apparently Kelley went off on him for doing so and questioning his judgement :laugh:

Look again.

The point deduction itself is at 37:12 on the YouTube Clip.

The 38:22 I mentioned is when they come back from the between-rounds-commercial-break and show the replay in the righthand corner of the screen, and then Atlas mentions that between rounds Tessitore had asked Ref Joe Kelley what he'd deducted the point for and apparently Kelley went off on him for doing so and questioning his judgement :laugh:

--- OK, now that I've seen the single spin in the weakest clinch that we can call a clinch and subsequent point deduction, I do believe at the time Burton was the up and comer and Augustus the smaller, weaker, "opponent." Thus a point loss to ensure the home fighter notches the win.

Have no idea if there was any previous warning, but Augustus did briefly turn his back on Burton, nominally against the rules, but how many times in this bout? Maybe the ref just wanted to aggravate the announcers, who knows with the lowbrow officiating boxing has been famous for?

I remember a Rodolpho "El Gato" fight where he knocked out the home fighter in some south of the border fight, probably central America. The ref called time, picked up the lifeless fighter to prop on the ropes until he recovered and then started time so he could chain hisself to Gato to prevent another KD, but the other guy was so far gone he eventually petered out on his own. Floydy would have to take the loss in that venue because he can't bust cotton candy from a baby's mouth.

--- OK, now that I've seen the single spin in the weakest clinch that we can call a clinch and subsequent point deduction, I do believe at the time Burton was the up and comer and Augustus the smaller, weaker, "opponent." Thus a point loss to ensure the home fighter notches the win.

Have no idea if there was any previous warning, but Augustus did briefly turn his back on Burton, nominally against the rules, but how many times in this bout? Maybe the ref just wanted to aggravate the announcers, who knows with the lowbrow officiating boxing has been famous for?

I remember a Rodolpho "El Gato" fight where he knocked out the home fighter in some south of the border fight, probably central America. The ref called time, picked up the lifeless fighter to prop on the ropes until he recovered and then started time so he could chain hisself to Gato to prevent another KD, but the other guy was so far gone he eventually petered out on his own. Floydy would have to take the loss in that venue because he can't bust cotton candy from a baby's mouth.

Was it Wyatt Earp or Bat Masterson that once literally picked up a fighter who'd been knocked down and held him up until he'd recovered when they were a Ref?

You should watch the full fight - it's the single most disgraceful piece of refereeing I've EVER seen in boxing.

Reid had pretty much given up in the end - he was being deducted points and for nothing and given warnings for punching his opponent in the face...knockdowns were not counted, and this ref HAD to be on the take.

You should watch the full fight - it's the single most disgraceful piece of refereeing I've EVER seen in boxing.

Reid had pretty much given up in the end - he was being deducted points and for nothing and given warnings for punching his opponent in the face...knockdowns were not counted, and this ref HAD to be on the take.

Oh God, at the point where the Ref took a point from Robin Reid for being HEADBUTTED BY OTTKE I simply had to turn it off. This Ref, Roger Tilleman, only worked the ONE World Title Fight as far as I can tell and it's pretty obvious that he was brought in for one reason and one reason only. Here's his empty resume via BoxRec http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=401009&cat=referee&pageID=1

Dave it still pisses me off even after all these years, I can honestly ive never seen corruption and a refereeing interpreting rules to fit like that before, its a one off regardless of how many fucked up decisions there have been over the years!!

The Ottke vs Reid ref is the worst I've ever seen.

Rob-

Being made more aware of this fight and this particular Ref made starting this thread worthwhile. I'd been hearing for years about the screwing Robin Reid got in this fight, but I never really looked into it and watched it, or at least didn't want the full fight. This was easily the worst Ref I ever saw, it's not even close.

Reid vs Ottke is almost impossible to beat - I never liked Reid but I felt for him that night, as the referee just would not let him throw a punch.

Other notable examples include:

1) Cole telling Marquez against Jaca "You're ahead on the scorecards!" - suggesting he should feel free to use the cut as an excuse to stop the fight and retain his title. Cole later apologised, but said, and I quote "I didn't know what I was doing..I wasn't even sure if I'd said it until friends told me and I watched the tape - I was shocked."

2) Cleverly vs Kovalev. It's the end of the third round and Cleverly, having been down once in the round already and reeling all over the place, gets belted again and falls apart. As the time ticks down to the end of the round, referee Terry O'Connor jumps in and grabs Cleverly, not to stop the fight but to end the round and physically carry him back to his corner! Never seen anything like it.

1) Cole telling Marquez against Jaca "You're ahead on the scorecards!" - suggesting he should feel free to use the cut as an excuse to stop the fight and retain his title. Cole later apologised, but said, and I quote "I didn't know what I was doing..I wasn't even sure if I'd said it until friends told me and I watched the tape - I was shocked."

2) Cleverly vs Kovalev. It's the end of the third round and Cleverly, having been down once in the round already and reeling all over the place, gets belted again and falls apart. As the time ticks down to the end of the round, referee Terry O'Connor jumps in and grabs Cleverly, not to stop the fight but to end the round and physically carry him back to his corner! Never seen anything like it.

It's interesting to note that both these guys, Cole and O'Connor, had numerous questionable performances, but never had any trouble getting fights. At least with the Reid-Ottke fight, they limited that clown to the one screw up.

It's interesting to note that both these guys, Cole and O'Connor, had numerous questionable performances, but never had any trouble getting fights. At least with the Reid-Ottke fight, they limited that clown to the one screw up.

--- Proof that Germany is a few grades ahead in the fairness scale. Cortez was the Vegas go to ref for too many outrages to count.

BTW, dummy Cole gave an interview at Ring that he botched his facts worse than he refs. He gets the top Texas jobs because his Daddy is the Great Poohbah of boxing in Texas.