2013 Boxing Awards - Nominations - Part 1

The_budweiser

Please add your nominations, we will run a poll to decide the winner.

Fighter of the Year:

Fight of the Year:

Round of the Year:

Knockout of the Year:

Upset of the Year:

Worst Fight of the Year:

Prospect of the Year:

Robbery of the Year:

Trainer of the Year:

Promoter of the Year:

Edited by the_budweiser

Re: 2013 Boxing Awards - Nominations - Part 1

Can we nominate 3 per category?

Fighter of the Year:

Sergey Kovalev

Katsunari Takayama

Danny Garcia

Fight of the Year:

Miura v Thompson

Eto v Porpramook

Tapia v Kirkland

Round of the Year:

Round 5 Eto v Porpramook

round 3 Miura v Thompson

Round 1 Korobov v Edwards

Knockout of the Year:

Ferrante v Isa Akverdiyev (SP)*

Matthysse v Dallas Jr

Yunieski Gonzalez v Rowland Bryant

Could fit another 5 in here though

Upset of the Year:

Simpiwe Vetyeka v Chris John

Oxandia Castillo v Hanna Gabriel (Female)

Doudou Ngumbu v Vyacheslav Uzelkov

Worst Fight of the Year:

Having just watched these I might be harsh but-Rigondeaux v Agbeko

and Lara v Trout both stunk

Akira Yaegashi v Oscar Blanquet (I expect more from Yaegashi and thus hold him to a high standard, this was more a disappointment than just a bad fight)

Prospect of the Year:

Naoya Inoue

Takuma Inoue

Kosei Tanaka

(I'm not counting Vasyl Lomachenko as a prospect)

Robbery of the Year:

Koki Kameda v Jung Oh Son

Chavez v Vera

Burns v Beltran

Trainer of the Year:

Abel Sanchez (Golovkin)

John David Jackson (Kovalev)

Joe Gallagher (various)

Notable mention-Ismael Salas

Promoter of the Year:

Top Rank

Golden Boy

ALA

Teiken

O.R. Promotions

(I know, more than 3 but ALA, Teiken and OR ALL needed a mention)

*this fight was later turned into a no contest

Fighter of the year:

Gennady Golovkin

Fight of the year:

Timothy Bradley vs Ruslan Provodnikov

Round of the year:

Bradley vs Provodnikov round 12

Garcia vs Matthysse round 11

Knockout of the year:

Stevenson vs Dawson

Gonzalez vs Mares

Frampton vs Martinez

Upset of the year:

Jhonny Gonzalez ko1 of Abner Mares

Worst fight of the year:

Mayweather vs Guerrero maybe...a boringly dominant fight as usual for Mayweather, tho it was expected to be rather close

Prospect of the year:

Ilunga Makabu

Matt Korobov

Callum Smith

Robbery of the year:

Burns vs Beltran

Froch vs Groves (yes, it was a robbery)

Chavez vs Vera

Trainer of the year:

Abel Sanchez

Ismael Salas

Adam Booth deserves a credit for the work with/on Groves

Promoter of the year:

Golden Boy

Top Rank

Teiken

Eddie Hearn

Edited by BoztheMadman

Fighter of the Year: Danny Garcia

Fight of the Year: Alvarado-Rios 2 Bradley-Provednikov (Tie)

Round of the Year: Alvarado-Rios 2 Round 2

Knockout of the Year: Adonis Stevenson-Chad Dawson

Upset of the Year: Simpiwe Vetyeka v Chris John

Worst Fight of the Year: Mickey Garcia-Juanma Lopez Garcia disappointed by coming in overweight, and Juanma shouldn't even have been in the ring with him.

Prospect of the Year: Jose Benavides

Robbery of the Year: Brian Vera-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Trainer of the Year: Abel Sanchez

Promoter of the Year: Top Rank

Fighter of the year:

Mayweather

Fight of the year:

Alvarado v Rios 2

Round of the year:

Bradley vs Provodnikov round 1

Knockout of the year:

Stevenson vs Dawson

Upset of the year:

Jhonny Gonzalez ko1 of Abner Mares

Worst fight of the year:

Mayweather vs Alvarez if only for the fact that Alvarez was expected to give him his toughest fight of his closing career. But I'd rather say disappointing than worst.

Prospect of the year:

Matt Korobov

Robbery of the year:

Burns vs Beltran

Trainer of the year:

Roach

Mayweather Sr (for making Floyd "invincible" once again)

Promoter of the year:

Top Rank

*Fighter of the year:

Adonis Stevenson

*Fight of the year:

Tim Bradley vs. Ruslan Provodnikov

*Round of the year:

Ruslan Provodnikov Vs. Tim Bradley, round 12

*Knockout of the year:

Sergey Kovalev KO 2 Ismayl Sillakh

*Upset of the year:

Johnny Gonzalez KO 1 Abner Mares

*Worst fight of the year

Alexander Povetkin vs. Wladamir Klitschko

*Prospect of the year:

Terence Crawford

*Robbery of the year:

Rey Beltran Draw 12 Ricky Burns

*Trainer of the year:

Roberto Garcia

*Promoter of the year:

Top Rank

Picks from writer Nick

Fighter of the Year: GGG Golovkin

Fight of the Year: Provodnivov vs Bradley

Round of the Year: Groves Vs Froch round 1

Knockout of the Year: Gonzalez vs Mares

Upset of the Year: Maidana vs adrietta brooooonnneeeerrrrr!!!

Worst Fight of the Year: Povetkin vs Klitchsko

Prospect of the Year: errol spence or lomachenko

Robbery of the Year: Burns vs Beltran

Trainer of the Year: Robert Garcia

Promoter of the Year: Eddie hearn/ Matchroom

Fighter of the Year: Juan Francisco Estrada (A major underdog versus P4P Brian Viloria, and he gave hime a beating. Then he took on undefeated Milan Melindo. A great bounce back year after losing to Roman Gonzalez the year before in a very competitive, entertaining fight.)

Runner up: Akira Yaegashi (really tough call. There are a handful of fighters that could be considered Fighter of the Year. For me, Mikey Garcia would probably be 3rd. 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th would be Danny Garcia, Sergey Kovalev, Katsunari Takayama and Guillermo Rigondeaux.)

Fight of the Year: Giovani Segura vs Hernan Marquez

Runner up: Timothy Bradley vs Ruslan Provdnikov

Round of the Year: Timothy Bradley vs Ruslan Provodnikov Round 6

Runner up: John Molina vs Mickey Bey Round 10 (It's not everyday where a fighter loses virtually every round only to come out with his hair on fire and get that KO in the final round.)

Knockout of the Year: Yunieski Gonzalez vs Rowland Bryant

Runner up: Stephen Smith vs Gary Buckland

Upset of the Year: Simpiwe Vetyeka vs Chris John

Runner up: Jhonny Gonzalez vs Abner Mares

Worst Fight of the Year: Wladimir Klitschko vs Alexander Povetkin (given the amount of hype and what not...)

Runner up: Manny Pacquiao vs Brandon Rios (Again, given the amount of hype. My expectations weren't high going into the fight and it didn't even meet my low expectations. A boring one-side. One fighter that didn't want to take chances and another that was just some goofy punching bag.)

Prospect of the Year: Billy Joe Saunders

Runner up: Felix Verdejo

Robbery of the Year: Ricky Burns vs Raymundo Beltran

Runner up: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs Bryan Vera (Both were equally bad though. Definitely splitting hairs here...)

Trainer of the Year: Joel Diaz

Runner up: Joe Goossen

Promoter of the Year: Golden Boy Promotions (I really enjoyed the mega cards Showtime/Golden Boy Promotions did this year.)

Matchroom Sports

Edited by DemolitionDan

Fighter of the Year: Gennady Golovkin (Was close between him and Danny Garcia - but 4 fights, 4 KO's against very credible opponents is hard to overlook)

Fight of the Year: Tim Bradley vs Ruslan Provodnikov (closely followed by Alvarado vs Rios II)

Round of the Year: Barker vs Geale (Round 6)

Knockout of the Year: Penalosa vs Sithsaithong - Rare to see a body shot drop someone to the deck instantly! You'll see a few putting fighters on their knees, but this one finished him. Second would be Stevenson vs Dawson imo.

Upset of the Year: Maidana vs Broner

Worst Fight of the Year: Alvarez vs Mayweather - Probably a controversial choice, but while I thought it was closer than many others did, I was already bored by the seeming inevitability of Mayweather's win, inside a round or two, and the apparent blindness to any good work coming from Alvarez as the fight wore on. It made for frustrating viewing and seized any hope there might have been left for this as a spectacle.

Prospect of the Year: Carl Frampton (Is it fair to still call him a prospect? Personally, I think given he is going to go a long way yet and still has all the potential in the world, which he has yet to fulfil, I would still class him as a prospect). Alternatively, Vasyl Lomachenko (whose stellar amateur record may also discount him in some people's eyes from being declared a "prospect?").

Trainer of the Year: Angel Garcia - as much as I dislike the guy, he's turned Danny into a real force, with great versatility - much more than I would have thought even possible.

Promoter of the Year: Kathy Duva (Main Event) - Not as many high profile fighters as some others, but always seems a class act from what I've seen of her.

Fighter of the Year: Gennady Golovkin (Was close between him and Danny Garcia - but 4 fights, 4 KO's against very credible opponents is hard to overlook)

Fight of the Year: Tim Bradley vs Ruslan Provodnikov (closely followed by Alvarado vs Rios II)

Round of the Year: Barker vs Geale (Round 6)

Knockout of the Year: Penalosa vs Sithsaithong - Rare to see a body shot drop someone to the deck instantly! You'll see a few putting fighters on their knees, but this one finished him. Second would be Stevenson vs Dawson imo.

Upset of the Year: Maidana vs Broner

Worst Fight of the Year: Alvarez vs Mayweather - Probably a controversial choice, but while I thought it was closer than many others did, I was already bored by the seeming inevitability of Mayweather's win, inside a round or two, and the apparent blindness to any good work coming from Alvarez as the fight wore on. It made for frustrating viewing and seized any hope there might have been left for this as a spectacle.

Prospect of the Year: Carl Frampton (Is it fair to still call him a prospect? Personally, I think given he is going to go a long way yet and still has all the potential in the world, which he has yet to fulfil, I would still class him as a prospect). Alternatively, Vasyl Lomachenko (whose stellar amateur record may also discount him in some people's eyes from being declared a "prospect?").

Trainer of the Year: Angel Garcia - as much as I dislike the guy, he's turned Danny into a real force, with great versatility - much more than I would have thought even possible.

Promoter of the Year: Kathy Duva (Main Event) - Not as many high profile fighters as some others, but always seems a class act from what I've seen of her.

Add as many as you want Brook - Its just a list were gathering before running any polls.

P.S good choice with Kathy Duva

Fighter of the year -- Adonis Stevenson

Fight of the year -- Provodnikov vs Bradley

Round of the year -- Provodnikov vs Bradley rd 12

Knockout of the year -- Stevenson vs Dawson

Upset of the year -- Mares vs Gonzalez

Worst fight of the year -- Rigo vs Agbeko

Prospect of the year -- Lomachenko

Robbery of the year -- Orucuta vs Narvaez

Trainer of the year -- Mayweather SR

Promoter of the year-- Golden Boy

Fighter of the Year: Guillermo Rigondeaux - Two fights and sublime boxing skills. Put on a master class against Top P4P undefeated fighter Nonito Donaire.

Fight of the Year: Timothy Bradley vs Ruslan Provdnikov - many exceptional fights this year.

Round of the Year: Groves vs Froch Round 1 - George doing exactly as he said - going out and landing right hands, putting Froch on his backside.

Knockout of the Year: Adonis Stevenson-Chad Dawson - Raw power from Adonis.

Upset of the Year: Mares vs Gonzalez - Gonzalez seemed like he was on the slide entering the bout but put in a stunning performance over the unbeaten Mares.

Worst Fight of the Year: Wladimir Klitschko vs Alexander Povetkin - Really poor fight for such a prestigious crown.

Prospect of the Year: Chris Jenkins - Under 15 fights and shone in the Prizefighter tourney

Robbery of the Year: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs Bryan Vera - Chavez didn't win this fight.

Trainer of the Year: Abel Sanchez

Promoter of the Year: Eddie Hearn - has had a busy, busy year and gotten alot of his fighters opportunities. Has been great for British boxing.

Fighter of the Year: Adonis Stevenson

Fight of the Year: Bradley vs Provodnikov

Round of the Year: Bradley vs Provodnikov round 12 comes to mind

Knockout of the Year: Gonzalez vs Mares

Upset of the Year: Gonzalez vs Mares

Worst Fight of the Year: Bundrage vs Ishe Smith

Prospect of the Year: Lomachenko

Trainer of the Year: Freddie Roach

Promoter of the Year: Kathy Duva

Edited by GEOIMAGEZ

Fight of the year -- Alvarado vs Rios 2

Round of the year -- Rd 7 of Wlad vs Povetkin: Three of the ugliest knockdowns you'll ever see thanks to Povetkin holding on for dear life followed by Wlad

increasing his lifetime uppercut total by about 900% as well as toss poor Povetkin about MMA style. Sure it was ugly, but epic in scale and spectacle since

Povetkin had never been down as pro or ama.

Knockout of the year -- Jhonny Gonzalez vs Abner Mares, easy first round KO. Rematch looks like a foul butt ugly style as Mares looks for survival rather than risk any trades.

Upset of the year -- Maidana vs Broner: Maidana had to fight both Broner and Cole to beat the Broner out of Broner.

Worst fight of the year -- Scott vs Chisora: two fighters, one brain cell, and one potty flushed referee Phil Edwards to round out this shameless insipidity.

Prospect of the year -- Artur Szpilka: Don't care for the chap but he's taking international type of risks in a school of hard knocks. Jennings is his big hurdle and should be favored as the home fighter, but me thinks Sz stinks him up pretty bad win, lose, or draw and quite possibly a knockout of Jennings.

Robbery of the year -- Money vs Canelo: The sissified howls from Money's light in the loafer fans still reverberates the high range of the universe!

Trainer of the year -- Robert Garcia

Promoter of the year-- Kathy Duva

Fight of the year -- Alvarado vs Rios 2

Round of the year -- Rd 7 of Wlad vs Povetkin: Three of the ugliest knockdowns you'll ever see thanks to Povetkin holding on for dear life followed by Wlad

increasing his lifetime uppercut total by about 900% as well as toss poor Povetkin about MMA style. Sure it was ugly, but epic in scale and spectacle since

Povetkin had never been down as pro or ama.

Knockout of the year -- Jhonny Gonzalez vs Abner Mares, easy first round KO. Rematch looks like a foul butt ugly style as Mares looks for survival rather than risk any trades.

Upset of the year -- Maidana vs Broner: Maidana had to fight both Broner and Cole to beat the Broner out of Broner.

Worst fight of the year -- Scott vs Chisora: two fighters, one brain cell, and one potty flushed referee Phil Edwards to round out this shameless insipidity.

Prospect of the year -- Artur Szpilka: Don't care for the chap but he's taking international type of risks in a school of hard knocks. Jennings is his big hurdle and should be favored as the home fighter, but me thinks Sz stinks him up pretty bad win, lose, or draw and quite possibly a knockout of Jennings.

Robbery of the year -- Money vs Canelo: The sissified howls from Money's light in the loafer fans still reverberates the high range of the universe!

Trainer of the year -- Robert Garcia

Promoter of the year-- Kathy Duva

There I agree, that was the most disgraceful stoppage of the year! One of the most disgraceful I ever seen.