Pound-For-Pound question

iamasadlittleboy

Re: Pound-For-Pound question

Which division delivers the most action on a pound-for-pound basis right now?

Go back maybe 12-18 months if you wish to look at several fights or fighters in that time.

Easily Heavyweight!!! (Just kidding)

For me over the last couple years or so, it's been a combo 140-147 (I'm including some fights that leaked over into Welterweight, like JWW Ruslan Provednikov challenging Tim Bradley). You think of the Alvrado-Rios fights, plus Danny Garcia, Matthysse, Khan, Maidana, and so forth. I think that's been the most interesting.

Looking ahead to 2014, I'm thinking that Light Heavy has the potential to be the hotspot, what with Kovalev on the verge of stardom, with Stevenson and Shumenov being credible Champs that make for good matchups, plus there is a pretty good collection of former Champs and guys looking to stay in the mix.

Easy....................154lb

[TABLE=width: 800]

[TR=class: tablefont]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff, colspan: 5]Super Welterweight/Jr. Middleweight (154 lbs)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffff66]WBC[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffff66]WBA[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffff66]IBF[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffff66]WBO[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffff66]FIGHTNEWS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]Floyd Mayweather[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]Floyd Mayweather

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]Carlos Molina [/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]Demetrius Andrade[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]1. Floyd Mayweather[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]1. Sergey Rabchenko

2. Saul Alvarez

3. Miguel Cotto

4. Willie Nelson

5. Emanuele Della Rosa

6. John Jackson

7. Damian Jonak

8. David Zegarra

9. Michael Oliveira

10. Jonathan Gonzalez

11. Charlie Ota

12. Yuri Foreman

13. Jermell Charlo

14. Cedric Vitu

15. Jermall Charlo[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]1. Erislandy Lara

2. Austin Trout

3. Miguel Cotto

4. Saul Alvarez

5. Alfredo Angulo

6. Sergey Rabchenko

7. Artem Karpets

8. Damian David Jonak

9. David Zegarra

10. Anthony Mundine

11. Jack Culcay

12. Michael Oliveira

13. Delvin Rodriguez

14. Daniel Dawson

15. Inocente Fitz[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]1. NOT RATED

2. NOT RATED

3. Damian Jonak

4. Sergei Rabchenko

5. Austin Trout

6. Jermell Charlo

7. Ishe Smith

8. Cornelius Bundrage

9. Miguel Cotto

10. Glen Tapia

11. Jonathan Gonzalez

12. Willie Nelson

13. Charles Bellamy

14. Jermall Charlo

15. Joey Hernandez[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]1. Brian Rose

2. Miguel Cotto

3. Glen Tapia

4. Charlie Ota

5. Jermell Charlo

6. Sergei Rabchenko

7. Omar Chavez

8. Zaurbek Baysangurov

9. Austin Trout

10. Vanes Martirosyan

11. Damian Jonak

12. Liam Smith

13. Emanuele Della Rosa

14. Michel Soro

15. Javier Maciel[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffcc]2. Saul Alvarez

3. Austin Trout

4. Miguel Cotto

5. Anthony Mundine

6. Demetrius Andrade

7. Erislandy Lara

8. Alfredo Angulo

9. Carlos Molina

10. James Kirkland

11. Vanes Martirosyan

12. Sergey Rabchenko

13. Ishe Smith

14. Lukas Konecny

15. Brian Rose

16. Jermell Charlo

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

In terms of action i agree with @davemurphy the class of 140-147 have had some major fights, Provodnikov-Bradley still gets me on my feet screaming and ive watched it countless times, truly exceptional fight. I'd love to see a Matthysse-Garcia rematch where Garcia can't low blow and Matthysse has two eyes. With one eye he still made a good fight of it, with two and vengeance on his mind i can see it being a tear-up

Also, I agree that 175 is going to be the place to be in the next few years, Kovalev, Stevenson, Shumenov will mix for good scraps, add in Ward and Beterbiev in the future and you have a lot of big punchers and good talents mixing nicely.

Any love for Cruiser? lots of great fights and a top 15 of evenly matched talents with lots of punchers, it always produces good fights but gets no love

Any love for Cruiser? lots of great fights and a top 15 of evenly matched talents with lots of punchers, it always produces good fights but gets no love

I know Gav thinks I was playing my "little man" card but I was hoping Cruiserweight would get a mention, specifically from Boz. Like you said, lots of very fighters, lots of great fights. In terms of talent that division is probably just below Flyweight, in terms of recent fights though it's the stand #1 for me.

I know Gav thinks I was playing my "little man" card but I was hoping Cruiserweight would get a mention, specifically from Boz. Like you said, lots of very fighters, lots of great fights. In terms of talent that division is probably just below Flyweight, in terms of recent fights though it's the stand #1 for me.

yep cruiserweight clashes always seem to be big punching affairs, Lebedev-Jones, Huck-Afolabi 2. I really want to see Hernandez-Huck and i cant wait for Usyk to start climbing the ranks

Jaimie-

I love the Cruiserweight division, but it gets frustrating in that we so seldom see the top names facing each other. It's been that way for years, and everytime I think it's going to change, we just see more of the same. It's a loaded weight class, but always has four champs who don't seem to have the slightest interest in unifying.

Jaimie-

I love the Cruiserweight division, but it gets frustrating in that we so seldom see the top names facing each other. It's been that way for years, and everytime I think it's going to change, we just see more of the same. It's a loaded weight class, but always has four champs who don't seem to have the slightest interest in unifying.

--- I know I beat on a broken drum here, but you could insert most modern fighters here, the prime example the current Ring darling Floydy, a certified 25%er his whole career until just this year, scarcely even defending the titles he did own the past half dozen years!

--- I know I beat on a broken drum here, but you could insert most modern fighters here, the prime example the current Ring darling Floydy, a certified 25%er his whole career until just this year, scarcely even defending the titles he did own the past half dozen years!

You know who the other prime example is? Ring/LRR darling Manny - he's had two fights in his career involving more than one big-four belt: Sanchez and Marquez. In the past 6 years he has attempted to defend world titles...4 times. Yes it's more than Mayweather, but hardly exemplary stuff.

Marquez, meanwhile, has been extremely prolific by comparison, having half a dozen fights for multiple belts during his career, including three in the past half dozen years, despite the fact he "lost" several times and didn't have the same leverage as Floyd or Manny.

Kudos at least for managing to blow your own trumpet while banging a drum. There's a set of knee cymbals out there with your name on them.

Edited by gavpowell

LOL, how do we go from Cruisers to talking Floyd? :smiley-signs108::faint:

LOL, how do we go from Cruisers to talking Floyd? :smiley-signs108::faint:

--- I mentioned the problem with cruisers is largely endemic throughout boxing, using Floydy as example numero uno!

In regard to unified titles, no heavy in history has unified more titles than Wlad, but you don't hear many on here touting his horn....http://www.ringnews24.com/boxingforum/images/icons/icon6.png