The Boxing Book thread - Recommendations

RAZZ-MCFC

well thought i'd start up a thread on boxing book recommendations as i've got a few and some are a really good read, and i've heard bad reviews on others so maybe we could all chip in and keep the thread fresh and up to date, to maximise reading pleasure mlol/

i'm halfway through reading Four Kings by George Kimball which is a fantastic read which i'd definitely recommend to others, it's about the golden generation of boxing; Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns and Roberto Duran

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/RAZZ-MCFC/fourkings.jpg

i've also got:

War, Baby: The Glamour of Violence - Kevin Mitchell

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/RAZZ-MCFC/warbaby.jpg

Hit Man: The Thomas Hearns Story - Damian and Brian Hughes

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/RAZZ-MCFC/thomashearnsstory.jpg

Hands of Stone: The Life and Legend of Roberto Duran - Christian Giudice

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/RAZZ-MCFC/handsofstone.jpg

Nigel Benn - Autobiography

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/RAZZ-MCFC/nigelbennbook.jpg

not had chance to read any of the 4 yet but bought them as i was strongly recommended to them so can only imagine they are also very good reads

will post once i've got through each of them

Edited by the_budweiser

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of my favourites

http://www.amheath.com/assets_cm/files/image/694_title.jpg

by Gavin Evans

Throughout heavyweight boxing history there have been many legends of the ring, fighters who have captivated the imagination of the public striving for the supreme prize in world sport.

This is the story of these world heavyweight title-holders, men who have often risen from impoverished beginnings to achieve fame and fortune through the power and artistry of their fists, men who placed their lives in jeopardy each time they stepped into the ring. It is a story not just of fights and fighters, but of what made them into fighting men, of what became of them when their bodies could no longer answer the call, and of the times in which they lived and the passions and prejudices that moulded their world.

This stylishly written, meticulously researched illustrated book chronicles the history of heavyweight boxing through the lives of these champions, from the 18th-century Englishmen who battled bare fist to Jack Dempsey, whose ferocious aggression attracted the first $1 million gate; Joe Louis, whose 11-year reign was viewed first as a triumph for black America and then as an American triumph; Rocky Marciano, who went through his entire career without defeat; and, of course, Muhammad Ali, a man who rose above his own sport, and all sport.

--------------------

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZQKHNNFHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

by Bob Mee.

Gives a guide to every fighter that has fought for the Heavyweight title. Alot of good, interesting insights by boxing historian and commentator Bob Mee.

I must admit that I've not been as good about reading the recent releases, I spend too much time online talking boxing and not actually reading about it :)

What I do read is usually of a historical nature, and like some of my peers in my Fifites now, I don't think of the Hearns', Haglers, and Leonards as "Old Timers" .

When I was younger and those guys were still fighting, I used to view guys that were still talking about Marciano and Robinson as "Old Farts".......now I've grown into that Role myself mlol/

Two reasonably recent releases tha I have read, only they involve old time fighters are:

Sam Langford: Boxings Greatest Uncrowned Champion by Clay Moyle

http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Langford-Greatest-Uncrowned-Champion/dp/1934733024/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285595800&sr=1-1

Charley Burley, The Life & Hard Times of an Uncrowned Champion by Allen S. Rosenfeld

http://www.amazon.com/Charley-Burley-Times-Uncrowned-Champion/dp/1420851748/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285595970&sr=1-1

As for reference books that I sometimes use. The Encylopedia of Boxing by Gilbert Odd, A Century of Boxing Greats by Patrick Myler, Boxings Greatest Fighers by Bert Sugar are all really handy.

Another one that you younger guys might like to read is In This Corner : 42 World Champions Tell Their Storied by Peter Heller. He intervies Champions who fought in the 1910's (including Jack Dempsey) Twenties, Thirties, Forties, Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies. It was first published in 1973, and ended with the Sixties Section, but then he came back and did two more with Roberto Duran and Alexis Arguello, both of whom he interveiwed in 1986. I have no idea why he didn't do more for the Seventies section add-on, it's just Duran and Arguello and a new forward by Ali.

It's not really interveiws, it's just trascripts of these 42 ex-champions talking into a tape recorder. Their versions of their careers, with things your not going to get from other places. I'm not sure why Heller never put out another one.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Corner-Forty-two-Champions-Stories/dp/0306806037/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285596920&sr=1-9

The best boxing autobio I read was Benn's.

The last one was Duran's which I found oddly a bit disappointing. It's writing style just didn't entertain me.

As for getting books on the sport itself, I don't really bother now. The internet has taken over as a medium for pure information and whatever is found in books can often be found online these days.

I don't even buy boxing magazines to keep me updated with the news anymore as they are often way out of date compared to the net when news comes in at 24 hrs notice or even sooner.

Boxing books are my achilles heal I cant pass a book shop without going for a browse, I was in Bath last week & picked up two more which I've yet to start "Seconds out "by Martin Kohan &" Ringside" by Bud Schulberg.

I must have over 100 boxing books in my loft I just cant part with them. The most recent read was "The Gifted One" Kirkland Laing's story By Oliver Jarrett A good read

Thanks,Telboy66. Funny story about Conn, he used to speak at Events many years ago (Boy Scouts, Civil Groups, stuff like that) and he'd take around a copy of his first fight with Joe Louis and while they showed that, he'd sneak out for a Cigarette. One time somebody runs into him outside and asks him why he's not inside watching it, and he goes "I was there when it happened, and I didn't enjoy it all that much the first time" :)

Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics, and Strategies

Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics, and Strategies

With Thanks to neilbla---

This guide to the finer points of boxing provides the wisdom needed to make the transition from enthusiastic beginner to proficient pugilist. The ABCs of ring generalship, offensive and defensive ring movements, feints, and draws and fakes are examined and explained along with clinching techniques, head-hunting, body work, and counter-punching chains. Strategies for boxing against tall and short opponents as well as for a variety of fighting styles such as charger, speed-demon, stick-and-move, and slugger and brawler are discussed in detail. Specific drills focus on sophisticated ring stratagems such as throwing complex combinations, cutting off the ring, fighting off the ropes, generating power, and cornering an opponent are included

http://hotfile.com/dl/36956316/660b411/1884654215.rar

• 3 weeks later...
I have over 2500 boxing books which has been a passion in collecting over the years,many are old and rare but i also collect modern books on the sport of boxing.One book i would suggest is the life story of Harry Haft,this guy has a unbelievable story.Fought bareknuckle fights in German prisoner of war camps for the amusement of German officers,was nicknamed the beast of Belsen.Escaped and killed to survive and made his way to the USA,and ended up fighting Rocky Marciano this book has it all in my opinion.

I have over 2500 boxing books which has been a passion in collecting over the years,many are old and rare but i also collect modern books on the sport of boxing.One book i would suggest is the life story of Harry Haft,this guy has a unbelievable story.Fought bareknuckle fights in German prisoner of war camps for the amusement of German officers,was nicknamed the beast of Belsen.Escaped and killed to survive and made his way to the USA,and ended up fighting Rocky Marciano this book has it all in my opinion.

DA-

The Harry Haft book is at the top of my list. I just finished Sweet William on Billy Conn, for which I promised to write a review on here, and now I'm working on Lee Groves' massive work, might be awhile...... :)

No Bud 2500 have collected with a passion for many years,they are stored in bookcase and spare room where i store my boxing Memorabilia.About 500 signed photos,dressing gown of Colin Mc Millan fight worn,the dressing gown that Cornelius Carr wore when he fought Steve Collins for World Title.Framed boxing art,training gloves of Gunner Moir,the original ring bell From Blackfriars,Tommyy Farr original watch fob and chain.Oil paintings of Ali,La Motta.Gavilan,Basilio,Pepp all signed by boxers.Just to discribe a few of things i have Bud.

No Bud 2500 have collected with a passion for many years,they are stored in bookcase and spare room where i store my boxing Memorabilia.About 500 signed photos,dressing gown of Colin Mc Millan fight worn,the dressing gown that Cornelius Carr wore when he fought Steve Collins for World Title.Framed boxing art,training gloves of Gunner Moir,the original ring bell From Blackfriars,Tommyy Farr original watch fob and chain.Oil paintings of Ali,La Motta.Gavilan,Basilio,Pepp all signed by boxers.Just to discribe a few of things i have Bud.

wow

Dave they are spread around the room in cuboards and bookcases,when i learn how to put photos on the site i will put a few items which i think fellow boxing fans would be of intrest in.With Buds threats of doing a ram raid on my house to steal my collection Dave,i have to be careful about photos as not to give away the security systems i have installed.