Sean ‘Big Sexy’ Turner set for Belfast debut after signing with Alan Wilton

boxrec

Irish heavyweight Sean ‘Big Sexy’ Turner has signed professional terms with Alan Wilton and will make his debut in Belfast’s Holiday Inn on October 12. The heavyweight’s capture is a huge coup for the Belfast team as they fought off serious competition from America, Europe and the UK for the hard-hitting Dublin native’s signature.

Turner - a nine-time Irish amateur champion at various levels - is well known for his aggressive, destructive, all action and hard-hitting style and he will be looking to bring that knockout ability to the professional game. The explosive puncher not only won the Irish Senior Elite Heavyweight Championship in 2013 but has also fought in the World Series of Boxing for the LA Matadors in which his concussive punching with both hands made him a big favourite with the fans.

On two occasions as an amateur he pushed GB heavyweight and Olympic gold medal winner Anthony Joshua the whole way when they met in the ring. Turner is looking forward to making his professional debut in the Holiday Inn and the Dublin wrecking ball is itching to kick things off on the paid circuit.

“I cannot wait to get started in the Holiday Inn and if the knockout is there I will take it, you can count on that,” he said. “There are loads of fans coming to the fight to watch me and I want to give them a good fight, an exciting fight. I want to move up the food chain as fast as I can and no-one is getting in my way.

“If people have not witnessed me in action you can expect loads of knockouts, I am a big puncher and I had loads of stoppages in the amateurs and I intend to keep on knocking out opponents now that I am a professional. I like a good fight, a tear-up and I know that boxing is entertainment and I will entertain. People like knock-outs and I will give the fans what they want,” added Turner.

Respected Panamanian coach Bernardo Checa will be handling Turner’s training regime and the man who already looks after Brian Magee, Paul McCloskey and Eamonn O’Kane is impressed with what he has seen so far.

“He is a very good prospect,” waxed Checa. “He has power in both hands and he has all the tools to go a long way. He is still a work in process, but he has plenty of amateur experience and he has that KO power that all fans like to see. He is out at the Holiday Inn on October 12 and the fans will see then the talent and power he possesses. We are working him hard in the gym and his fitness is improving all the time. Sean is one to watch out for in the coming months and we have very high hopes for him.”

New manager Alan ‘Alio’ Wilton is relishing the opportunity to steer Sean towards title glory and believes that the young slugger, who also goes by the moniker ‘Showtime’, will be a welcome addition to the scene. Turner will certainly liven up the domestic arena with the same appealing combination of heavy-handed power mixed with a vibrant personality that a young Darren Corbett brought along some 15 years previous.

“We are delighted to have signed Sean; he was a top amateur and he has that great ability to knock people out,” said Alio. “He is an exciting come-forward fighter, he loves to fight and he can bang. Fight fans will love him because of his firepower and you will get your first chance to see him as a professional in the Holiday Inn.

“There will be fireworks when he fights. We believe he is the next big thing in the Irish heavyweight division,” added Wilton, who has since added Martin Rogan to the line-up on October 12.

More...