The Cotto V Pac Thread *Spoilers*

Faulks

Alright Guys/Girls,

Instead of clogging up the board with new threads about the same fight i thought id start off a thread for this superfight that goes off in 3 weeks time.

I will try and update it with new stories on a daily basis but feel free to add your own or comment on any articles posted..

Ta

Ianf

( Team Cotto )

LAS VEGAS - In boxing, the attributes of a fighter's physical strength and his knockout power are not necessarily one and the same.

Thomas Hearns, for instance, remains the prototype of a boxer who possessed one-punch knockout power yet often lacked the formidable body strength of his more muscle-bound opponents. Think of the electrifying knockouts he recorded against Pipino Cuevas and Roberto Duran - and by contrast, later in his career, the way Hearns was bullied on the inside on the way to losing a 12-round decision to Iran Barkley.

Other boxers from the same mold were, in reverse chronological order, the light heavyweight great Bob Foster and the hall-of-fame flyweight Jimmy Wilde.

The quintessential boxer with exceptional physical strength but modest knockout power against top-level opposition was probably Randall ''Tex'' Cobb, as illustrated by his inability to finish off an exhausted Earnie Shavers in 1980 (on the undercard of Hearns-Cuevas, coincidentally).

Also in this category were Evander Holyfield and fellow heavyweight Larry Holmes, who famously said: ''I didn't have the hardest punch in the world, but my punches were sharp and they were crisp - and if you took too many of them, you would be knocked out.''

In the most hotly anticipated fight of 2009, welterweight Miguel Cotto likely will have to synthesize those two qualities - strength and knockout ability - to score an upset victory against Manny Pacquiao on Nov. 14 at the MGM Grand.

Cotto, comfortable among the sport's elite at 147 pounds for the past couple of years, steps down slightly to a ''catch weight'' of 145 for the bout. Cotto's best hope is that his natural size advantage could neutralize the firepower of Pacquiao, who made his name in the sport's lighter weight divisions before moving up to face bigger opponents such as Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton.

Dominant victories against those two men solidified Pacquiao's reputation as perhaps the most crowd-pleasing and talented fighter in the sport.

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum has hyped the Nov. 14 showdown as potentially the No. 1 fight of the year (this is accurate) and even of the decade (well, it's a good fight, but let's not get ahead of ourselves).

For the ninth consecutive fight, Cotto is working with strength and conditioning coach Phil Landman, a fitness and nutrition expert from South Africa. Cotto began working with Landman when he moved up from the junior welterweight division to fight Carlos Quintana in 2006.

Cotto and Landman are preparing for the bout in Tampa, Fla., under head trainer Joe Santiago.

Landman is confident Cotto can put all of his skills together against Pacquiao.

''The best things with Miguel are with his strength and his speed, and the work we have done has shown, especially since he came up to the welterweight division,'' Landman said. ''We work on things in the gym to improve on his overall power and overall strength, and toward the end of the camp we will focus more on functional stuff, which is funneling that power and speed to work for him in that fight.

''That, along with conditioning, which I think will contribute to all of those things coming together to create a better puncher as well as a better boxer.''

Cotto, who owns the WBO welterweight belt, is coming off a split-decision victory against Joshua Clottey in June at Madison Square Garden. It was a brutal fight in which Cotto dropped Clottey in the first round, sustained a bad cut by his left eye via a head butt in Round 3, and weathered a furious rally by Clottey in the later rounds.

Team Cotto has dismissed concerns that the Clottey bout and his 2008 loss to Antonio Margarito, another savage fight, have taken a toll on Cotto.

''I commend him for coming in and fighting a tough guy like Clottey,'' Landman said. ''Getting a cut like he did in the third round, he never thought about quitting and he toughed it out for 12 rounds and he won the fight. I think you have to look at it from that perspective and give him credit for it.''

Arum used the opportunity to introduce another wrinkle to the buildup to Cotto-Pacquiao, which when it's all said and done will feature more subplots than a Trollope novel: The fight could serve as a sort of acid test of Clottey's abilities.

A tough welterweight, Clottey, who fights Quintana on Dec. 5 in Atlantic City, has yet to establish a foothold among boxing's most respected world champions. If Cotto does beat Pacquiao, Clottey's stock would surely rise.

''I would like to say that Clottey is one of the best welterweights out there,'' Arum said. ''For Miguel to come back after suffering that cut and to come back and pull out a victory, I think it shows that Miguel is back, but it also shows an absolutely brilliant performance.''

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still sticking by my 9-12 round KO by Miguel. Though never ever write Manny off as the guy is Awsome. I agree with alot of the above article and im glad the writer picked un on the fighr of the decade line, steady on Arum i know youve got promoting to do but considering its at a catchweight theres been far bigger fights.

It could turn out to be the fight of the year though. I know the MGM is pretty much full for that weekend and noi tickets under $1000 were available off Ticketmaster last week..

I'm with you for Cotto mate...He's got to much for Manny, not only in strength to absorb his punches, but power to really hurt him!!

This fight is either pressed by Manny from early on and he could possibly stop Cotto such is his own power and strength or he loses it in 7/8 rounds being stopped...This is a close call, but I have to side with Miguel.......come onnnnnnnnnnn

By Mark Vester

WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto has hit back at his rival, Antonio Margarito. During a recent interview with ESPN Deportes radio, Margarito expressed his desire to land a rematch with Cotto in the first quarter of 2010 - if the Puerto Rican star is able to beat Manny Pacquiao on November 14 in Las Vegas. He said Cotto has to take a rematch to avenge his only loss but the fight will end with yet another defeat. Margarito handed Cotto his only loss with an eleven round stoppage in July 2008.

"I'd give Cotto a rematch. I think that fight will be good. The only loss he has is to me, and if he wants to remove that thorn from his side, then I will give him a second defeat," Margarito said.

Cotto doesn't care what Margarito has to say. He doesn't have any interest in a rematch or helping Margarito get a big payday. He said the Mexican fighter has lost all of his credibility. Margarito had his license revoked in February over a plaster-like substance being discovered in his hand wraps prior to the bout with Shane Mosley on January 24. Margarito is able to apply for a new license at the end of January 2010.

"I don't care about anything Margarito has to say. He lost all of his credibility, benefits and consideration in boxing. When it comes to Miguel Cotto, he will not earn another penny," Cotto told Puerto Rico's AP.

Yeaj ive mentioned this on another thread DAvieboy. Half of me would love him to smash his cheating face all rounbd the ring but i dont want the cheat to get any paydays & Cotto would be his biggest.

Oh and apologies the article had nothing to do with the up coming Pac fight but i thought it was worth a read anyhow

mlol/

by James Slater - Though his last few weeks in camp in his native Philippines have been surrounded by the outside chaos that typhoons and storms have been creating, pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach says his charge has not been affected; even though the natural disasters forced a move from one training camp to another.

30-year-old Pacquiao, training of course for his huge November 14th fight with the mighty Miguel Cotto, has managed to remain focused in camp, despite the fact that he had to be moved and despite the fact that over a thousand people died due to natural disasters in The Philippines recently..

"Pac-Man," who will head to America this weekend, has enjoyed a training camp that has, according to Roach, got him into "perfect" condition for Cotto.

"He is right where I want him to be, perfect," Roach told AFP after a recent sparring session had been completed by his star fighter.

And Roach insisted the move of camp, from Baguio to Manila, did not affect his warrior, either mentally or physically.

"We didn't let it affect our training," he said. "We worked right through it and never missed a day. It's been a really good training camp. He's been focused from day one, throughout."

Reportedly, Pacquiao will embark on two weeks of further training in Los Angeles, so as to complete his work for the eagerly anticipated Las Vegas showdown with the once-beaten Puerto Rican star.

In the past, good or great fighters, after having lost a fight, have blamed the loss on their having to switch training camps due to outside influences such as fires and floods and storms. Marco Antonio Barrera, for one, at least partly blamed his 2003 loss stoppage loss to Pacquiao on the fact that raging forest fires forced him to move from his Big Bear training camp. All fighters are different at the end of the day, and going by what Roach has had to say, this kind of disruption has not bothered his great fighter.

But then Freddie would say that, wouldn't he? Only time will tell if Roach is bang on with what he says, or if the moving of camp HAS bothered Manny unduly. Come fight night it's likely all this will have become a well forgotten issue, but if Pacquiao were to lose would he use the disruptions he's endured as an excuse as to why he lost? Again, only time will tell.

Of course, what the southpaw dynamo will be trying to do once the first bell rings in Vegas next month, is to turn Cotto into someone that resembles the victim of a natural disaster! Will Typhoon-Pacquiao be able to wreck the mighty Cotto?

Wouldnt really expect Roach to say 'the camps been crap and Manny is looking awful' though a boxer of Pacs pedigree i expect him to come into the ring on top form. You dont get to the top of the tree by being lazy whilst training.

Be interesting to see what weight he makes it to

By Cliff Rold

It feels like only weeks since the last journey though reality TV waters…mostly because it has been. Unlike the last time out, the hype this time surrounds a fight that isn’t a foregone conclusion, isn’t just a showcase.

Narrator Liev Schreiber’s voice over plays as the image of Yankee Stadium in unveiled. “…in the bowels of a modern sports temple,” we are introduced to the warriors at the heart of what will be the most viewed, and anticipated, fight for the rest of 2009. They share the same space but, at least for the cameras, don’t look much in each other’s directions. Highlights of one man’s highs, and another’s highs and lows, lead to clips of their press conference on the New York diamond.

“This is Pacquiao-Cotto, 24/7.”

Cue the music and real-timish review.

Raindrops fall over Baguio City as the World Jr. Welterweight champion, Manny Pacquiao (49-3-2, 37 KO) does his roadwork fish-style. A typhoon in the Philippines makes hitting the asphalt untenable so laps in the pool are the order of the day. It is reminiscent of Rocky III in that Pacquiao is struggling because he’s not much of a swimmer.

It’s hard to imagine this ending with a montage of Pacquiao looking Michael Phelps in the days before the fight, pulling Paulie in the pool while Apollo chuckles but, hey, one can hope.

The typhoon, of course, is no laughing matter. The haunting images evoke Katrina as citizens float down rivers which shouldn’t be, struggling to survive the wrath of Typhoon Parma (or Pepeng) amidst 28 inches of rain. Pacquiao’s choice to train at home, rather than in Los Angeles, is explored and Pacquiao states what would be the only thing he can, balancing his feelings for his nation and his need to prepare. “I feel bad. My sympathy to those people who are suffering in the storm. Right now I’m very focused and I don’t want to think about anything aside from boxing.”

Trainer Freddy Roach smiles uncomfortably describing how he’d liked to have had camp in Canada nut but was overruled because ‘it rains too much’ in Vancouver. A view of the Pacquiao entourage reveals the usual cast of characters from Pacquiao’s last two 24/7 outings, including a hair dresser…because ‘pound for pound’ can’t have split ends.

Roach laughs off the size of the crew and the episode segues to highlights of Pacquiao’s last victory, the second round decapitation of then-140 lb. king Ricky Hatton which made him the first fighter in history to capture lineal World titles in four weight classes. “I hate to say this about a World champion,” Roach states, “but he wasn’t that good.”

Pacquiao certainly made it look that way.

Dramatic drums and some singing in Spanish carry us to the camp of WBO Welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto (34-1, 27 KO). Schreiber describes that Cotto started training a full month ahead of Pacquiao, establishing the seriousness of the stoic Cotto before setting the storyline for why he needs to be serious.

Clips of some of Cotto’s 34 victories play out over the narration with images of leather landed against Zab Judah and Shane Mosley leading to a big Cotto “Whoo!” The festive music gets all dramatic as attention turns to Cotto’s lone loss at the hands of Antonio Margarito last summer. Cotto’s late, willful surrender in the contest is replayed and Cotto gives a reasoned reaction to that end. “Stop the fight for my benefit, for the benefit of my kids.”

Cotto’s father reflects on the struggle of seeing his son battered. The sport’s biggest controversy in 2009, the discovery of attempted altered hand wraps on Margarito prior to the Mexican’s loss to Mosley earlier this year moves to center stage. Schreiber asks, “How long had Margarito been fighting dirty? Had he broken the rules when he gave the brutal beating to Cotto?”

Fair questions.

Cotto simply states that there are people who know how long it went on. He’s had more to say in the press previously and has opined that he believes Margarito was dirty against him. History will probably never get a clear answer.

The cameras join Cotto for lunch and introduce Cotto’s trainer, Joe Santiago. Mitt work plays as the messy divorce of Cotto and uncle/trainer Evangelista Cotto is described. “The success of any relationship is the communication and Joe and me have great communication.”

The typhoon has settled as attention is returned to Camp Pacquiao. Roach heads out for his morning walk…culminating at Starbucks. There’s something oddly perverse about this image as the show plays out. Amidst the devastation wreaked upon the land, Starbucks still stands. During a montage of the masses devastated by, among other things, brutal landslides, Schreiber tones in that “disasters like this take the most from those who have the least.”

Starbucks still stands.

Images of refugee camps, families displaced by the flooding, are almost too tough to watch. Members of Team Pacquiao head into disaster areas to lend moral support. The smiles of the people say how much such small gestures can mean.

Cotto’s final training day in Puerto Rico before leaving for Tampa, Florida features an open workout and chance for viewers to see that, like Pacquiao, Cotto is a national idol. Next we get a trip to the tattoo parlor where Cotto is touching up his ninth piece of ink as his children and wife look on.

Family time at the tat house…whod’a thunk.

Cotto’s marital struggles are briefly touched upon as the Welterweight titlist describes that he hasn’t “always been the best husband” (easy to understand given the, um, beauty of the island) but that he and his wife are working on reconciliation after a three year separation. A family dinner leads to farewell hugs.

Back in Baguio City, U.S. military assistance is landing while Pacquiao is able to return to normal roadwork. Former World Lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo arrives for sparring. Watching these two go at it could well be an episode in itself and, if they ever release these shows on DVD’s, the full sessions should be an extra feature.

The well reported, almost tabloid-esque, turmoil alleged in the camp of Pacquiao is alluded to with the physical confrontation between business advisor Michael Koncz and conditioning coach Alex Ariza a topic of chatter. Roach seems to laugh it off and Koncz downplays it while the cameras show stern faces around the gym to heighten the sense of drama, even danger, for Pacquiao.

Whatever.

Seriously, can anyone imagine if 24/7 had been around when Muhammad Ali was at his height? How about the time he got caught pawning off the wrong woman as his wife in Manila? That would have been good TV. Ali following it up by beating Frazier in the greatest Heavyweight fight ever was even better.

The lush climate of Tampa is the next stop and Team Cotto, in a rented mansion, is barbecuing and goofing at poolside while camp elders sip red spirits. The team heads “Renaissance Dogs” style into the gym. 76-year old cutman Joe Chavez is shown in his workout gear and, dear Lord, everyone should want to look like that at his age.

Dude is ripped for his age.

Cotto and crew express their focus and excitement at the success of camp so far. Santiago states, “Nothing else is on our minds besides Manny Pacquiao on November 14th.” Cotto speaks with measured calm. “(Pacquiao’s) just another fighter whose come to my division and challenge me for my title, you know. The night of the (fight), I’m going to be prepared for him and I’m pretty sure I’m going to beat Manny Pacquiao.”

Schreiber: “The fight is 21 days away.”

The episode finishes back in the Philippines where rain is pouring again as a new typhoon, Ramil, prepares to land. Roach is arguing to get out of Baguio and head to Manila but Pacquiao is resistant. He agrees and then relents the next morning, leading to Roach threatening to leave without the fighter, in front of a local politician. “I got pissed off enough to tell Manny, ‘you know what, if you don’t want me to be part of this, I quit.’ But he called and asked me to please calm down, so I did.”

The move shows off where Roach comes from in his school of thought. Mentored by the legendary trainer Eddie Futch, a man who more than once was said to threaten his fighters during fights that he’d sit out if they didn’t get it together, Roach’s ploy was classic. It all wraps up with Roach speaking to Koncz about how urgent the need to leave is.

Author’s note: Pacquiao is already in Los Angeles to finish training camp so don’t let the drama overwhelm the senses.

Final Thoughts: This was a fascinating start to the series. The tragedy in the Philippines added a weight and drama, a reality, this show often lacks in its various incarnations. It was impressive work by the documentary crew, balanced well against the Pacquiao camp issues and training story, never feeling exploitative. On the other side of the ledger, Cotto is hard to gimmick. He comes across as a fighter’s fighter going about his business.

If this show failed, and it has three episodes to correct it, it was in the lack of perspective given to Pacquiao’s career. It was a similar problem in the 24/7’s for his bouts with Oscar De La Hoya and Hatton. The full scope of what Pacquiao has done, and is attempting to do, is not being fully conveyed. Pacquiao’s status as a ‘pound for pound’ leader was mentioned. Not once in the show was it noted that Pacquiao is challenging Cotto for a title in a seventh weight class, a feat never seen even in this watered down era of ‘belts for all.’

This author has some problems with the catch weight stipulation for this bout, noted on air at 145 lbs. It can mitigate the fullness of the accomplishment if Pacquiao wins in November, as does the fact that there are multiple Welterweight title claimants. However, it would still be an accomplishment. Cotto is, at worst, the second or third best active Welterweight in the world with a victory over one man with a case for the top spot, Mosley, and a range of competition within the division former lineal king Floyd Mayweather has yet to face.

When this decade began, Pacquiao was 21 years old and just months removed from the lineal World title at 112 lbs. Ten years later, he is challenging for a piece of the Welterweight crown and is favored to win.

Boxing has a richness of history which is second to no other sport. No Flyweight champion had ever risen to win the Featherweight crown before Pacquiao. No former Featherweight champion, even with an unnecessary catch weight, has tested the peak of the Welterweight division like this since Henry Armstrong.

Being that this is essentially a hype show, a commercial engagement, it fails the viewer in not making those points. A couple camp members getting saucy is interesting stuff but there are available, non-soap opera, elements available to make the fight feel special.

And that’s what this is all about ultimately. On November 14th, the world should be getting one hell of a fight. Grade: B+

Not sure if i agree with the Grade b bit, perhaps im getting a little over excited as its 2 of my current fav boxers battling it out and ill be there to see it....

Oh and if any of you guys can point me in the direction of a download for the 24/7 it would be apprectiated. I had 'company' last night so missed it.

MANILA – Canadian adviser Mike Koncz has joined American trainer Freddie Roach and conditioning coach Alex Ariza in declaring that Manny Pacquiao will certainly knockout WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto in the “Firepower” bout on November 14 in Las Vegas.

Koncz, however, thinks the KO will not come soon in the fight, contrary to what Roach has predicted.

“I believe it will happen but I don’t believe it will happen as quickly as in the [Ricky] Hatton fight,” Koncz told abs-cbnNEWS.com last week.

Pacquiao became the IBO/Ring Magazine light welterweight champion in May after stunning Britain’s Hatton with a 2nd round KO in the “Battle of the East and West.”

Roach told PhilBoxing.com that Pacquiao would KO Cotto in Round 1 if the Puerto Rican “doesn’t run.” Ariza, meantime, said the Filipino boxing superstar can KO Cotto “if he lands a shot” because of the immense power of Pacquiao’s punch.

“You know Cotto's a fighter in his prime. He's one of the best body punchers in the business, very strong,” Koncz said of the WBO welterweight champ.

“Certainly I believe Manny will prevail in the fight because his foot speed and his hand speed are just gonna be too much for Cotto,” he continued.

“But the knockout, I think so but I don’t think so [it will happen] until the later rounds.”

Pacquiao went to the United States Saturday night to wrap up his training there. Koncz said the pound-for-pound king will train in Los Angeles, California for two weeks.

Team Pacquiao will proceed to Las Vegas, Nevada on the Sunday before the fight to continue training.

A “very hectic schedule” awaits Pacquiao in Las Vegas, Koncz noted, as he is set to fulfill “contractual obligations” such as promoting the bout. – Report by Ma. Rosanna Mina, abs-cbnNEWS.com

as of 10/26/2009 12:47 PM

im not gonna let 24/7 influence my picks anymore. that show made me think hatton had a chance against mayweather and pacquiao and jones had a chance againt calzaghe. so im sticking with my pick of cotto by late KO. however, the 1st episode was excellent as usual. its really interesting seeing cotto at work because it seems like his camps are so private most of the time

im not gonna let 24/7 influence my picks anymore. that show made me think hatton had a chance against mayweather and pacquiao and jones had a chance againt calzaghe. so im sticking with my pick of cotto by late KO. however, the 1st episode was excellent as usual. its really interesting seeing cotto at work because it seems like his camps are so private most of the time

I also made that mistake with Hatton mlol/

Im seeing cracks in Mannys camp at the moment, He needs to get rid of all his YES men and listen to Roach. Im not complaing though as its all good for Cotto..

Lookin forward to this fight now. I'm still undecided as to the outcome. I wasn't very impressed with Cotto the last time I saw him, whereas Manny has been brilliant in all his recent fights.

Anyone know if Sky PPV are showing it? It'll hardly be on normal Sky Sports like the Mayweather v Marquez fight, or could it?

Lookin forward to this fight now. I'm still undecided as to the outcome. I wasn't very impressed with Cotto the last time I saw him, whereas Manny has been brilliant in all his recent fights.

Anyone know if Sky PPV are showing it? It'll hardly be on normal Sky Sports like the Mayweather v Marquez fight, or could it?

Its free on Sky mate, its the week after the Haye PPV so they aint gonna rip people off 2 weeks in a row :-)

Manny Pacquiao has admitted his November 14 fight in Las Vegas against Miguel Cotto will be his toughest yet, but insists he will be prepared for the Puerto Rican.

The Filipino from General Santos City has continually stepped up to take on the biggest and the best and his upcoming fight with Cotto is another step up.

Cotto, like Pacquiao, is a hero in his homeland and has cemented his name firmly on the pound-for-pound lists. Despite a surprise stoppage defeat to Antonio Margarito last year, who was later found with an illegal substance in his gloves against “Sugar” Shane Mosley in a later fight, Cotto has demonstrated his skill, fitness and sturdiness.

However, a closely fought battle against Joshua Clottey has left many questioning Cotto so he will have everything to prove when he faces Pacquiao. This will make him hungrier on November 14, and Pacquiao is preparing himself for a peak Miguel Cotto.

"This is the toughest fight of my career and I won't waste the opportunity," said Pacquiao, who starred in a film in his native Philippines recently. "I'm treating this fight with the seriousness it deserves.

“I won't let myself get carried away with other people's comments. Many are saying the punishment from Margarito and Clottey has affected him, but I won't depend on that.

"Cotto is still a very strong fighter and bigger than me. I have to fight smartly and not underestimate him."

Pacquiao boasts impressive victories over bigger men such as Ricky Hatton and Oscar De La Hoya, but Cotto still represents a significant step up. Hatton was a light-welterweight while De La Hoya was clearly past his best. On November 14 he faces a tougher challenge than ever before and Pacquiao has been training accordingly.

"The intensity remains the same but maybe what has changed somewhat is the type of training, because we have to adjust to a particular style to fight Cotto," said the 30-year-old.

"We need to apply certain techniques. I have spent many hours studying with Freddie to identify Cotto's weaknesses and strengths, to find his key points.

"We are ready for what they bring. We have studied him very well. What I do is stand in the ring, box and put on the best fight possible.”

As for how the fight will turn out, Pacquiao added: "I'm not looking for a knockout but I'll welcome it if it comes."

Last updated: 28 October 2009, 16:54

Its free on Sky mate, its the week after the Haye PPV so they aint gonna rip people off 2 weeks in a row :-)

Delighted with that! Thanks.

Going by the first episode of 24/7, Pacquaios camp doesn't seem too great. Natural disasters, Inhouse fighting, tension between Roach and Pac over moving camp!!

If the ref had'nt been shit you would have been right!

u mean when joe cortez didnt allow hatton to rabbit punch and hold and hit mayweather............?

No...I mean when Joe Cortez let PBF do everything he was stopping Hatton from trying to do aswell as throwing the Elbow in and bending over to the floor...and then the point deuction mlol/

This was one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen...He had made his mind up on how Hatton was gonna fight before hand and then interfered at every juncture, this was biasness beyond belief!!

Watch these and if you can tell me i'm still wrong...your're a Lost cause!

I never have an objection to a fighter doing what he has too do to win....but the way Hatton come out of it labelled as the dirty fighterr was fucking laughable!

I originally favoured Manny forcing a late TKO but I watched Cotto vs Mosley again last night and thats levelled things up a bit for me. Cotto neutralized Mosleys speed brilliantly and took some big shots of shane which Manny probably isnt capable of throwing