Can Froch Beat Hopkins?

The_budweiser

By Scott Gilfoid: It seems like every time I turn around, I see Carl Froch’s die hard boxing fans saying how great he is, and how he’s going to destroy Andre Dirrell, Andre Ward and most of the other Super Six fighters in the upcoming tournament. So, I’m kind of curious whether these same fans feel that Froch could beat a fighter like Bernard Hopkins.

I mention Hopkins rather than the Super Six fighters, because I already pretty much know that many of the British fans feel that Froch will shred the competition with his power and outstanding boxing skills. Yeah, right. I’ll let them have their dreams for a little while longer before Dirrell sends them a little bit of reality when he destroys Froch on October 17th, in Nottingham.

Okay, so we got Hopkins, a 44-year-old fighter who hasn’t fought in about a year since making an example of Kelly Pavlik last year on October 18th, beating him by a lopsided 12 round decision. Since many people see Froch as being essentially a heavier, more rigid version of Froch, the logical choice between a fight with Hopkins and Froch would be for Froch to get beaten in an embarrassing fashion.

You would think, right? Froch does fight a lot like Pavlik, and is kind of a straight ahead plodder like him, isn’t he? So, what does the Brits say about this? Would Froch, the great, beat an old veteran like Hopkins? I don’t even need to see the answers because I already know what you guys will say.

Not only will Froch beat Hopkins, Scott, but he’ll knock him out early, imagine some of you will probably say. This tells me that many of you are a little detached from reality and need to step away from your keyboard, clear your heads, and try to look at the big picture. Hopkins is a master fighter who held into the middleweight title for 10 solid years, beating the best fighters in boxing.

He didn’t have a super middleweight belt, fighting obscure fighters that people have never heard of. Hopkins has fought the best fighters and never ducked anyone. Even at 43, he came close to beating Joe Calzaghe. I actually had Hopkins beating Calzaghe by two rounds, but that’s beside the point. Hopkins is a great fighter and he hasn’t lost too much in the past few years.

I think Hopkins would make Froch look silly if they fought. Froch would likely lose all of the rounds and if he was counting on Hopkins tiring out at the end, he’d be sadly mistaken. I couldn’t see Froch winning one solitary round of the fight. He could try to make a late surge like he did with Jermain Taylor and Jean Pascal, but Hopkins would shut him down by hammering him with right hands. Hopkins would go right hand happy if he fought Froch, because of Carl’s low guard. It would be an open invitation for Hopkins to hit him in the puss all night long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Gilfoid = Idiot.. Ive read many an article by this waste of space and he's so anti British its unbelievable i truly think he just writes to course provocation.

On this occasion i'd be tempted to agree with him but how much longer can Hopkins go on?

Scoring is subjective, which probably explains why this numpty thought Hopkins came close to beating J.Cal. It wasn't J.C holding like a limpet. It wasn't J.C crying to the ref, and it sure as hell wasn't J.C that cowardly turned his back to allow himself to be hypothetically analy raped.

The question if any exists is, who is the most dangerous opponent Froch, or Pavlik? I will leave that to others to discuss, but it seems to me that Froch has an iron jaw. That alone would make Hopkins posture and pose, and not want to get involved.

• 2 weeks later...
To be fair to the writer, he was partly right about Dirrell. He certainly didn't destroy Froch, but he won the fight, just didn't get the nod.

yeah absolutely! Dirrell didnt destroy him, but he clearly won. Froch is overrated !Granit chin but uni-dimensional ! He has never been able to adapt to the style of Dirrell.

No matter how you saw the fight Froch wanted to win more and Dirrell did not take the rounds. Froch actually deserved the win. First time I watched Dirrell and was not major impressed thought. He seemed ordinary too me ! espesially since I before the fight heard he had Roy Jones type speed. It was nothing near Prime Time Roy Jones speed to me !!!!

• 3 years later...

Re: Can Froch Beat Hopkins?

Wow, we are REALLY reaching back to revive this post, when I first opened up the replies I wasn't even looking at the date and then I saw a post from McBride and I'm like "huh?" and then I noticed the 2009 :laugh: At this point it becomes one where I can't imagine BHOP being able to slow the pace down enough to have much of a chance, I think Froch would win a comfortable decision, at least four or five pts. minimum.