Five-time world boxing found dead

Five-time world boxing champ Johnny Tapia is found dead in his home aged 45

Five-time world boxing champion Johnny Tapia has been found dead in his Albuquerque, New Mexico, home.

The star fighter, whose turbulent career was marked by cocaine addiction, alcohol, depression and run-ins with the law, was found by a family member who called police to the house at about 7.45pm on Sunday. He was 45.

The death didn't appear to be suspicious, Police spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2150937/Five-time-world-boxing-champ-Johnny-Tapia-dead-home-aged-45.html

Rip Johnny

At flyweight he was untouchable. He was an underdog against Danny Romeo and he schooled him easy. Good Bantamweight too but Alaya had his number. Manuel Medina beat him clearly but the judges did gift him that title. Could be outboxed but a good solid fighter. If he´d had a cleaner life i think he might have achieved more but i agree with the above posts...his lifestyle was always gonna catch up with him.

I haven't read his book but have wanted to since his life was both insane and interesting, if that makes sense.

RIP, another known figure in boxing passes.

Do.

Its a great read.

I always thought his career was a shame because he was better in the ring than he ever got credit for, but his out of the ring life was the thing that the press latched on to.

RIP