Haye's Tall Order

WelshDevilRob

Haye is going to Germany a confident man

David Haye will have to slay the biggest heavyweight champion in history if he is going to win the world title, writes Tris Dixon

HISTORY does not always repeat itself.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/images/articles/2300684.jpg

But when 6ft 3ins David Haye steps into a German ring to take on a man who is a foot taller than him and the best part of eight stone heavier, there is a fair chance it might.

It was nearly 80 years ago that an American playboy named Max Baer stepped in with a one-dimensional behemoth in Italian misfit Primo Carnera.

Baer, shall we say , appealed to the fairer sex. He was a puncher. He was a good-looking, smooth-talking matinee idol who generally delivered when it mattered in order to back up his boasts.

Carnera, a freak of nature at the time – nearly 6ft 6ins when the average height of an Italian was 5ft 5ins – was floored 11 times and humiliated.

“Valuev’s known as the Beast from the East,” said a delighted Haye. “And there’s a reason he’s got that nickname – he’s a big, ugly, sweaty and hairy man from the Eastern Bloc.”

In a rare move for David he has made a fighting decision based on his brains, not his balls. And it is an outstanding move, sure to rile the Klitschkos even more than his full array of T-shirt stunts. In fact, the Klitschkos are said to be fuming at the vision shown by Adam Booth and Kalle Sauerland to drum up a Sky Box Office event within 24 hours of opening negotiations.

Haye knows Vitali and Wladimir’s dream is to hold the quartet ‘major’ world title and if he does manage to grab a slice of the cake then the brothers should, in theory, still be hungry to face him.

Of course, there is a danger he has alienated them. After first pulling out against Wlad in June and now from a proposed showdown with Vitali in September there is a chance they will not want to know. The thing is, Haye generates big bucks for the Klitschkos. He has the potential to electrify world boxing. He excites American TV. Hell, HBO were all ready to show him versus Wlad and, after he pulled out, they did not pick up Klitschko against Ruslan Chagaev, a man many felt was the third best (behind the Klitschkos) heavyweight in the world.

That tells you a bit about how much brand Hayemaker brings to the table.

Haye knows his worth. According to him, and as pretentious as it sounds, it was the Klitschkos who overplayed their hand.

”There have been long and exhausting discussions about the [Vitali] clash, but unfortunately I could never put my name to the fight contract the Klitschkos offered,” he said. “The level of disrespect they have shown me throughout has left me feeling insulted. As for signing the contract, now that I realise just how much support and interest I have from people in Germany, it would have been like selling my soul to the devil. I will not be a slave fighter.”

And if the mammoth Ukrainians get passed Alexander Povetkin and Chris Arreola by the end of the year they will have effectively fished the pond of contenders and there will be just one man left. Who do you think that is? That’s right, the WBA champion, be it Haye or Valuev.

For those reasons, it was always the fight he should have had before taking on the Klitschkos.

Look, the fight is still a gamble. The giant has a halfway decent jab, can fight 12 rounds, has never been floored and has been defeated just once but by Haye’s standards it’s hardly Russian roulette. It is a calculated business decision.

Valuev is ponderous, slow, technically flawed and was outboxed by a shot Evander Holyfield but still managed to earn the verdict.

“He is eight stone heavier than me and a foot taller than me,” continued Haye. “David only needed a slingshot and a stone to flatten Goliath, and I’m convinced my right hand generates more power than a slingshot.”

Baer’s right hand was more than enough against Carnera.

It’s a deliberate move and Haye can look to history for inspiration and to the future for a showdown with the Klitschkos, one or the other or both.

“Once I have snatched Valuev’s title,” says Haye, “I will be happy to battle out heavyweight supremacy with the Klitschkos, but only on equal and fair terms.

“Mark my words, I will be the first man to knock Nikolai Valuev out.”

Source: http://www.boxingnewsonline.net

David Haye v Nikolai Valuev confirmed for Nuremberg

The Nov 7 date had already been finalised.

While Haye is convinced he can become the first man to floor the Russian Giant, Valuev has been unimpressed by the verbal outbursts of his challenger. "He can say what he wants. I look forward to fighting in Nuremburg again. I will continue where I left it against Liakhovich.

"Haye is a strong challenger, but he will not beat me. I will defend my title and calm Haye down."

"We are delighted to return to Nuremberg," Team Sauerland General Manager Chris Meyer said. "Niko only has the best of memories of the Arena Nurnberger Versicherung.

"That is where he displayed one of the best performances of his career. Back in Feb 2008, he won every single round in the eliminator against former world champion Sergej Liakhovich. We look forward to another great night of boxing."

Valuev’s promoter Kalle Sauerland added: "After all the trash talk from David Haye, it as about time that someone shuts him out. I am sure Niko will gratefully accept this task. It will be a battle of David against Goliath but this time, Goliath wins!"

Billed as David v Goliath, the contest will be televised on Sky Box Office

Source: The Telegraph

LOL great pic bud and cheers for the post Rob. Puts it into perspective the task ahead of the Hayemaker. I laugh at the idiots who think its a foregone conclusion that Haye will win. Its a tough tough fight and if he can come forward with that right hand then yes he can win but its no surprise a man like the beast is a world title holder in the current heavyweight division as its a mess but the guy is a freak of nature.

we NEED haye to liven things up and floor this guy

DAVID HAYE reckons Nikolay Valuev is the ugliest human being he has ever met.

The Londoner will give away 100lb in weight and 11in in height when he challenges the 23st WBA heavyweight champ in Nuremberg on November 7.

And Haye, 28, was shocked when he faced up to the 7ft 2in Beast from the East yesterday.

The former world cruiserweight champ said: "He is the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

"I have watched Lord of the Rings and films with strange looking people but for a human being to look like he does is pretty shocking.

"I knew he was going to be big and he was exactly what I was anticipating when we stood next to each other.

"But he is beatable, he can be knocked down. He is a heavy guy and if he goes down it will be hard to get his huge frame off the floor.

"It is a lot of weight to get up and I'm not sure his legs can cope."

Valuev, 36, has lost just one of his 51 fights since turning pro almost 16 years ago.

But he has been taken the distance in each of his last four contests.

The giant Russian said: "I have heard all this trash-talk before, especially from my American opponents. But it means nothing to me.

"To be honest I had never ever heard of Haye until earlier this year when he upset the Klitschko brothers with his T-shirt that had Vitali's head decapitated.

"It would be stupid to give away my impressions of him but you can always tell he thinks too much about what he's doing."

Haye has lost just once in 23 fights but the Brit acknowledges he is stepping into the unknown in just his second fight at heavyweight.

Yet trainer Adam Booth believes his man can adapt and work his way around Valuev's size.

He insisted: "I don't necessarily think Valuev's style is wrong for David - he thrives on taller and bigger opponents.

"But we're not under-estimating Valuev.

"It's easy to say he's big so he's slow. But he's actually not that slow if you look at the tapes and he's very effective at going 12 rounds."

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090922/capt.130166e2cf53406d94180c85ab99edbd.germany_boxing_haye_valuev_nbg101.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090922/capt.7441486d79b1461eac381e3ca6c5ef59.germany_boxing_haye_valuev_nbg102.jpg