Carlos Baldomir: jailed for sexually abusing his 7yr old daughter

selij

Carlos Baldomir: jailed for sexually abusing his 7yr old daughter

http://thumbs2.imagebam.com/76/9b/9e/342f271290011574.jpg

World champion Carlos Baldomir was sentenced to 18 years in jail for the repeated sexual abuse of his seven-year-old daughter.

Argentine former welterweight world boxing champion Carlos Baldomir was sentenced to 18 years in prison for the repeated sexual abuse of a child, a court announced. The 48-year-old, who was World Boxing Council champion for 10 months in 2006, was arrested in 2016 following allegations that he had abused the girl over two years, starting when she was just seven, in 2012.

He was unanimously convicted of “repeated sexual abuse” of a minor. When the trial began on Thursday, Baldomir showed his middle finger to those present, a provocative gesture recorded by television cameras. Baldomir’s greatest career highlight came in January 2006 when he shocked the unified welterweight champion Zab Judah. After a successful defence of his WBC crown against the late Arturo Gatti, Baldomir lost his title to Floyd Mayweather in a November 2006 unification bout. He retired in 2014 with a record of 49 wins, 15 by knockout, 16 defeats and six draws.

He started his career as a trainer and in 2016 was given an award by the Argentine congress for achievement in sport. Baldomir had been held in pre-trial detention since his arrest but before that was living with his wife and four-year-old son. He has three daughters from his first marriage.

Various sources:

BBC News

News.com.au

Re: Carlos Baldomir: jailed for sexually abusing his 7yr old daughter

--- I remember while still writing for Fightnews I sat in on a phone presser for the Judah fight. Judah was highly abusive and deriding him as a no account bum, but of course Baldo couldn't understand a word.

And of course their fight with Judah starting off flashy, but after a few cracks, Baldo made him understand perfectly he had to go on a chicken run for survival.

Presuming the Argentine court got it right, a big if in that country, all I can say is apparently there is no hope for a certain segment of the world population. Kids are precious and deserve better than the current global crises. I used to think quite highly of Baldo, and though his career will still hold, I won't ever mistake conflating the man with his career again.