Dillion Whyte vs Oscar Rivas results

Re: Dillion Whyte vs Oscar Rivas results

To me Whyte's stock went down with this performance. He looked sloppy at times, and out of shape.

i thought whyte fought as well as he can, he is limited in his ability, he does need to get in better shape though, needs to ditch the cruising with the boys

--- Brit announcers as bad as Americans...ref credible... 30 sec...LHk knocks Whyte into ropes and ref breaks up follow up... I withdraw my previous praise of the ref

Yeah, that was pretty obvious. Rivas did throw low, but the punch very obviously hit Whyte's elbow, and Whyte didn't react in any way. The ref was just looking for an excuse to take away Rivas' last chance.

To be fair, the right man won, but that kind of thing makes my head explode.

To me Whyte's stock went down with this performance. He looked sloppy at times, and out of shape.

Well, he's never been seen as a master boxer, just a really tough & aggressive guy. Kind of the new Chisora.

And Rivas is really very good, in a limited way.

I thought Whyte fought just about the best fight he could have.

Like Layton said, his could use more stamina, but he looked fairly ripped, (much better than when he fought AJ) so maybe he's just one of those guys that will never have a good gas tank. He IS pretty muscle-heavy.

So... My opinion of Whyte hasn't changed a bit.. He's just exciting cannon-fodder for the top guys in the division. A hard night for anybody, but certainly not a future champion.

Edited by Cableaddict

And so much disappointment for me with Rivas. I really had hopes for him becoming the next Joe Frazier.

He has the guts, he has the inside ability, but clearly he just doesn't have the power. Oh well .....

Edited by Cableaddict

Whyte is overrated, end of story. This just confirms that fact. He will be exposed pretty soon...AGAIN.

After watching the fight Boz I kind of agree.

But, I do think Whyte can beat the best heavyweights as it only takes one punch in Heavyweight boxing, but it's more of wishful thinking than anything else.

You say he's overrated Boz but theres not much below him on the boxrec rankings that Whyte should be scared of. I think his rankings about right and not so sure if overrated the best word. Who is overrating him Boz?

6 Dillian Whyte

7 Jarrell Miller

8 Luis Ortiz

9 Kubrat Pulev

10 Joseph Parker

11 Adam Kownacki

12 Dereck Chisora

13 Dominic Breazeale

14 Oscar Rivas

15 Christian Hammer

16 Gerald Washington

17 Filip Hrgovic

18 Joe Joyce

19 David Price

20 Charles Martin

21 Hughie Fury

... but theres not much below him on the boxrec rankings that Whyte should be scared of.

6 Dillian Whyte

7 Jarrell Miller

8 Luis Ortiz

9 Kubrat Pulev

10 Joseph Parker

11 Adam Kownacki

12 Dereck Chisora

13 Dominic Breazeale

14 Oscar Rivas

15 Christian Hammer

16 Gerald Washington

17 Filip Hrgovic

18 Joe Joyce

19 David Price

20 Charles Martin

21 Hughie Fury

Wow, that's just depressing ! I haven't looked at the HW rankings in a while.

I think Hrgovic is the only one there that I'd feel confdent picking vs Whyte. Hrgovic has solid skills, excellent defense, a great jab, and a very long reach. Plus apparently very good power. I don't think Whyte would have an easy time getting inside on him.

Kownacki & Breazeale have a 50-50 chance, IMO. Kownacki-Whyte would be an interesting fight, as they are very similar fighters: Short reach, high output, & questionable defense. Rock 'em sock 'em.

Edited by Cableaddict

Wow, that's just depressing ! I haven't looked at the HW rankings in a while.

I think Hrgovic is the only one there that I'd feel confdent picking vs Whyte. He has solid skills, excellent defense, a great jab, and a very long reach. Plus apparently very good power. I don't think Whyte would have an easy time getting inside.

Kownacki & Breazeale have a 50-50 chance, IMO. Kownacki-Whyte would be an interesting fight, as they are very similar fighters: Short reach, high output, & questionable defense. Rock 'em sock 'em.

True, Hrgovic got the size and is a dangerous puncher too. So far he's shown he can tangle with the best today.

It all depends if you use the AJ-Whyte fight as the yardstick to ever measure Whyte by. On Saturday I thought Whyte fought well from behind his jab and every time Tibbs got him to box rather than fight he won the round. Frank has been mentoring him too - a limited boxer with heart himself but always fought from behind the jab too. Whyte's improving for sure in his technique, but everytime he tried to mix it for no apparent reason he got tagged by someone even as poor as Rivas. So will surely come a-cropper vs anyone in the Top 5.