British Boxing in a slump....

Ton

In recent weeks we had the shock defeat of AJ, and Fury walloped Schwarz, following a somewhat slow and dull year of boxing thus fair, especially on our home shores. It's seemed to me that 2019 so far has been a real disappoinment.

But now I don't thinks are even looking up either? It might also expand to just the whole of boxing too, but what the hell do British fight fans have to get excited about??

Dillian Whyte fights soon.....Warrington just laboured to a win in a forgetable bout this weekend.....Yarde vs Kovalev is dogged with problems and they're saying that MIGHT be going ahead in September.....

I've not looked at every fighter on the list, but I took a look at the ratings for British fighters to get a list of our top guys.....Unsure if any of them have anything scheduled or being attempted to be made.

It's fair to say British Boxing is in something of a slump.

Eddie Hearn has just had his main cash cow shattered and has been putting all of his efforts into Dazn and putting on shows stateside.

Warren is living off Fury's resurgence, and putting a bit of stock into building up Dubois, and taking a punt on Yarde...otherwise putting on shit cards on BT Sport. Boxnation is still loitering about, but I haven't seen a need to actually put it on for pretty much over a year or so.

s9pAwOU.jpg

Re: British Boxing in a slump....

--- Nay say Brit naysayers, all we have is the resurgent undefeated lineal hvywt champ, the former record setting unified hvywt champ waiting in the to avenge his loss, and the new p4p and WBSS winner.

Alms please!

Translate to English please, thanks.

Callum Smith - former European Champion, current WBA Super World Super champ

Chris Eubank Jr - current IBO World Super Middleweight champ

Josh Warrington - current IBF World Featherweight champ

Josh Taylor - current IBF World Super Lightweight champ

Tyson Fury - current 'lineal' heavyweight world champion

BJS- recently vacated the WBO World Middleweight Title to move up weight class

At least 11 other former world champions in your list, at a quick glance, maybe more.

I cant call this a slump, this is the state of British boxing. We have fighters of limited ability, always have had, with the odd standout talent. And I can remember the so-called 'golden era' of British boxing when the Lawless stable produced 5 simultaneous world champions, so we are in an identical situation to that currently, albeit not from the same trainer.

The future is very bright for Josh Taylor and Yarde and Tyson Fury has a $100m contract with Top Rank and AJ will surely be back soon too.

We have Gorman and Dubois on the verge of being challengers, and Buatsi is on the verge of a world title challenge too.

And today Kell Brook has quashed all rumours of a retirement, and at SWW is ranked No1 by the WBO and No3 by both the WBC and WBA.

Sorry Sel, my point isn't about British success in the ring......it's about actual plans for these boxers and meaningful match ups they can make. I'm more having a go at the promoters, putting together shit shows in the UK, anything only even hlaf decent onto PPV, and the concentration on fights in America plus the DAZN fixation....

What the fuck is happening with Callum Smith? He fought on the AJ undercard, why isn;t he headlining big shows?.....Eddie doesn't give a fuck about him, although he might do a bit more now that golden boy AJ has been twatted.

We usually have x. y, z coming up in the next few months.....or if guys have just fought and won, usually they have they next fight lined up......

There's nothing to look forward to at the moment, and granted a lot of those have had fights recently, or already this year....but where's the longer term vision......

Callum Smith has no one lined up.....not sure who the target is next?

Eubank Jr - Who's next? (IBO is a wank version :haha:)....what exciting match ups are there for him to take?

Warrington - 3 good wins....Leo Santa Cruz could be a target. Warren seems to care so he's doing alright.

Josh Taylor - Should be Prograis in the finals. THIS is mouth watering, but the WBSS has become so hit and miss lately.....lets see if this gets made

Fury - Does anyone care until he rematches Wilder or fights Joshua?....or now he's champ Ruiz is clearly another good avenue. Anything else is just a shit showcase. He's Warren's main man so his focus will be on Fury, and again in America most probably.

Sorry Sel, my point isn't about British success in the ring......it's about actual plans for these boxers and meaningful match ups they can make. I'm more having a go at the promoters, putting together shit shows in the UK, anything only even hlaf decent onto PPV, and the concentration on fights in America plus the DAZN fixation....

What the fuck is happening with Callum Smith? He fought on the AJ undercard, why isn;t he headlining big shows?.....Eddie doesn't give a fuck about him, although he might do a bit more now that golden boy AJ has been twatted.

We usually have x. y, z coming up in the next few months.....or if guys have just fought and won, usually they have they next fight lined up......

There's nothing to look forward to at the moment, and granted a lot of those have had fights recently, or already this year....but where's the longer term vision......

Callum Smith has no one lined up.....not sure who the target is next?

Eubank Jr - Who's next? (IBO is a wank version :haha:)....what exciting match ups are there for him to take?

Warrington - 3 good wins....Leo Santa Cruz could be a target. Warren seems to care so he's doing alright.

Josh Taylor - Should be Prograis in the finals. THIS is mouth watering, but the WBSS has become so hit and miss lately.....lets see if this gets made

Fury - Does anyone care until he rematches Wilder or fights Joshua?....or now he's champ Ruiz is clearly another good avenue. Anything else is just a shit showcase. He's Warren's main man so his focus will be on Fury, and again in America most probably.

Well, Callum just had a fight 18 days ago...can't just go ahead and dive into the next fight right away, right?

Well, Callum just had a fight 18 days ago...can't just go ahead and dive into the next fight right away, right?

He fought on the AJ undercard, why isn;t he headlining big shows?

He's supposed to be one of our very top boxers, and he isn't even headlining his own shows.Who is he supposed to be being lined up to face next? He's like a ship with no sail, as are most of the guys in that list in my initial post. That's my point!

Eddie is engrossed in AJ and Dazn.....everyone else is seemingly a distraction.

Warren is engrossed in Fury and breaking into America too. His stable isn't as strong as Matchrooms.

Sky & BT are showing shit shows for "free" (basic subscription).....anything remotely interesting is on PPV.

He's supposed to be one of our very top boxers, and he isn't even headlining his own shows.Who is he supposed to be being lined up to face next? He's like a ship with no sail, as are most of the guys in that list in my initial post. That's my point!

Warren is engrossed in Fury and breaking into America too. His stable isn't as strong as Matchrooms.

Sky & BT are showing shit shows for "free" (basic subscription).....anything remotely interesting is on PPV.

Well, how many times has a smw led a big card? He's always gonna fall behind the hw star.

Well, how many times has a smw led a big card? He's always gonna fall behind the hw star.

Calzaghe did alright ;-)

So Eddie is right to only focus on his one big star?

That's right. Hearn only cares about the US now, Fury has been sold to ESPN and then they expect us to pay £19.95 and stay up until 4am to see him fight Schwarz, no thanks. We're getting the leftovers now, the shows that are being put on here now have got a 15-0 Conor Benn headlining them, or Billy Joe Saunders at the Stevenage Leisure Centre, they're taking the mick.

• 4 weeks later...

no still plenty of quality about yes we lost a few champions but plenty of young fighters coming through.

Who are they that we should be on the lookout for??

Only Dubois I can think of that has some excitement about him.

Who are they that we should be on the lookout for??

Only Dubois I can think of that has some excitement about him.

Really, great britain punches well above its weight for the population

Really, great britain punches well above its weight for the population

We have down the years, but still there's not ben a mention of one current name, an up and comer to get us a bit excited as per the poster said.

- Yarde might create some buzz if he can beat Kovalev.

- Okolie is building a record wioth a decent stoppage rate but he is pretty turgid to watch.

- Dubois going along nicely is a promising prospect.

Beyond the "up and coming" fighters...

- Warrington is at the top of his game now and has hit world level

- Callum Smith is in his prime and seems pretty directionless.

- Gobshite Billy Joe Saunders is talented but not much happening there and it's questionable if he can stay out of trouble long enough to be anything like relevant in the sport.

We have down the years, but still there's not ben a mention of one current name, an up and comer to get us a bit excited as per the poster said.

- Yarde might create some buzz if he can beat Kovalev.

- Okolie is building a record wioth a decent stoppage rate but he is pretty turgid to watch.

- Dubois going along nicely is a promising prospect.

Beyond the "up and coming" fighters...

- Warrington is at the top of his game now and has hit world level

- Callum Smith is in his prime and seems pretty directionless.

- Gobshite Billy Joe Saunders is talented but not much happening there and it's questionable if he can stay out of trouble long enough to be anything like relevant in the sport.

Josh Taylor is going to have a cracking career if he can win the World Boxing Super Series - He just won his first world title against Ivan Baranchyk.

Probably being biased but hes a breath of fresh air and just makes his fights look easy. He's only 15-0 and has already beaten Ohara Davies (15-0), Miguel Vazquez (39-5), Winston Campos (30-3-5), Viktor Postol (29-1), Ryan Martin (22-0) and Ivan Baranchyk (19-0).

Josh Taylor is going to have a cracking career if he can win the World Boxing Super Series - He just won his first world title against Ivan Baranchyk.

Probably being biased but hes a breath of fresh air and just makes his fights look easy. He's only 15-0 and has already beaten Ohara Davies (15-0), Miguel Vazquez (39-5), Winston Campos (30-3-5), Viktor Postol (29-1), Ryan Martin (22-0) and Ivan Baranchyk (19-0).

Taylor is indeed one of the brightest burning talents UK has at the moment. Prograis is gonna be a difficult assignment but if he wins, then he's the king of 140. I don't know how long he plans to stay at 140, a lad of his size, but I think he won't be in a hurry to leave.

I'd totally forgotten to put Taylor in with Smith & Warrington as our current TOP guys in terms of their standing within their divisions.

And at least there is seemingly some direction for him with the final of the WBSS to come. I really highly rate Prograis, so this match up is tasty!