WBSS Briedis vs Glowacki

Re: WBSS Briedis vs Glowacki

--- Tonight as the WBC withdraws sanctioning for the fight...only in boxing!

In Russia favors Briedis, but wacki gonna make him pay. Great fight!

https://fightnews.com/wbc-withdraws-sanction-of-briedis-glowacki/47984

--- My clumsy mistake!

Briedis born and still lives in Latvia. He's still the hometowner though. What's a Pole gonna do?

Stay tuned. FOY?

--- Bit put off by DAZN who tells me this event is almost ready, but not yet.

Anyway, here's Doogie's more descriptive version, and noteworthy the deplorable Robert Byrd stunk out the officiating. He and his deplorable wife should be banned from boxing save they make such a perfect set piece in a too often deplorable sport.

Mairis Briedis stops Krzysztof Glowacki in third round of wild scrap, faces Yunier Dorticos in WBSS final - The Ring

Yep great fight on paper, don't sleep on the other fight though, Dorticos vs Tabiti on the same card, looking forward to that just as much.

Nice !

I'll be rooting for Tabiti, but something tells me he's gonna' do something stupid in the early rounds, and Dorticos will drop that hammer.

(like he once dropped it on the hammer. :laugh: )

Tabiti is great off the back foot, and Dorticos' style is almost perfect for him, but he can't make ANY mistakes, and he can't take time off, like he so often does. I dunno....

-------------

As for the main event, I'd say Glowacki has about the same chance as Tom Shwartz.

A puncher's chance, for sure, but c'mon now .......

Oh wait. The fight already happened? Well, heck at least I was right. (for a change.:whistle: )

Edited by Cableaddict

Well, that turned out very controversial...what do ya think of the refereeing?

It was more than unsatisfactory, the sound of the bell was hurting my ears, sure I wasn't in the arena but the commentators said they heard it, Briedis says he heard it, seems only the 74 year old man in the middle didn't. He seemed to be admonishing the time keeper in order to save face but he or she couldn't have rung it any louder or for any longer, the ref is too old now, that should be his last fight. The four minute round of course wasn't the only problem, earlier he's seen the Latvian elbow the champion but then forces him to get up and fight on without even 2 yet alone 5 minutes to recover. Oh I still haven't finished, he counted the world champion when he's been knocked down well after the bell and at that time the ref knew it had gone because he finally heard it and was pushing Briedis off a split second before he landed the punch that floored Glowacki, so what the heck was he counting for??

This has to be ruled a no contest but unfortunately for Glowacki his elimination from the tournament cannot be overturned given the format and schedule of the tournament.

And a great KO victory for Dorticos beforehand, not the most exciting fight but the finish was beautiful.

The Winner should have been DQ Boz and both the 'Byrd's put back in their cage for life.

Worst refereeing ive seen in a long time

Well, that turned out very controversial...what do ya think of the refereeing?

--- Looks like the WBC saved themselves a major headache by withdrawing in advance of this self inflicted disaster.

Dont know now about the tourney rules that all have agreed to, but Glowacki to be storming the gates as he doth protest very much indeed.

Krzysztof Glowacki management to appeal controversial loss to Mairis Briedis in WBSS semi-final - The Ring

Breidis should have been disqualified. I would have understood if the referee simply hadn't seen it (and wouldn't have been surprised, given everything else that happened!) but, given that he saw and penalised it, I think it was very poor judgment not to have sanctioned Breidis more harshly. A deliberate elbow to the jaw is, in my view, a very serious transgression, particularly with the force with which it landed in this case.

It was also interesting to see Breidis's team up on the ring apron (and in the ring) more than once before the referee called a halt to the round. In principle, that is grounds for disqualification itself (though I'm not sure whether this is at the referee's discretion or not) - that said, a good argument could be made for the idea that the round had ended with the ringing of the bell, even though the referee hadn't called it.

A comedy of errors all around

--- OK, days later finally my DAZN link worked, hence my thoughts:

When the fighters locked up in an exchange, Glo in position for the rabbit as Bre in position upon unlocking for the back elbow response, tit for tat fouls.

Clearly the bell a nonstandard boxing bell with lesser tones, and at the end of the extended rd Byrd knows he missed and goes over to talk to the guy.

The KO punch was a rabbit by Bre, but Glo ducked below the waist and most refs allow that punch under that situation.

The Bre team both on the ring apron and later in the ring before the end of the fight, always a DQ unless you're a Mayweather.

Finally, Glo team made a vid that they will be showing at their protest, but who will hear them?

And yeah, not as bad as the fans and press made it, but pasture time for both byrds.

Vid:

https://fightnews.com/briedis-glowacki-you-be-the-judge/48256

I agree it should be rules a N/C, but that aside:

How did Byrd not call a point deduction on Glow, for that first rabbit punch? That was as blatant as they come, and even came after Byrd called "break."

Even if he thought the elbow "evened things out," it should have been a point for both.

Not as bad as all the other massive mistakes, but still pretty damned bad.