Briedis vs Glowacki-fighting for Usyk's spoils

BoztheMadman

So, in 2 weeks we gonna see two of the remaining best cruisers duke it out, Mairis and Krzysztof. The vacant WBO belt is for the take and also Briedis' WBC Diamond belt. I favor Briedis, because in my eyes, he still hasn't been beaten. Only guy that made Usyk fight for his life and arguably beat him. Glowacki has also only lost to Usyk, but that was a clear loss, a domination. I reckon this will go the distance.

Re: Briedis vs Glowacki-fighting for Usyk's spoils

The CW division is still stacked, and obviously wide-open.

The fact that the unified champ has left puts a small taint on it, though, so we really need some fresh blood to take the mantle. This might take a year or more, but it will bring back what little prestige the CW division once had.

My bets are on Opetaia, & maybe Tabiti if he can improve his output.

- Unless one of the top LHW's moves up, like maybe Bivol.

I'd put money on Bivol to beat every current top ten CW, right now. (Not a LOT of money, mind you! :laugh: )

Edited by Cableaddict

The CW division is still stacked, and obviously wide-open.

The fact that the unified champ has left puts a small taint on it, though, so we really need some fresh blood to take the mantle. This might take a year or more, but it will bring back what little prestige the CW division once had.

My bets are on Opetaia, & maybe Tabiti if he can improve his output.

- Unless one of the top LHW's moves up, like maybe Bivol.

I'd put money on Bivol to beat every current top ten CW, right now. (Not a LOT of money, mind you! :laugh: )

I like Tabiti so far. He is a puncher and aggressive enough to be a crowd-pleaser. Still haven't seen enough to weigh in on the output.

I like Tabiti so far. He is a puncher and aggressive enough to be a crowd-pleaser. Still haven't seen enough to weigh in on the output.

Me neither, but he seems to have the raw talent.

Plus, team Mayweather's behind him.

--- Bivol was talkin moving down to 168 for golovkin or Canelo.

Just sayin...

Three division champ ! :haha:

But yeah, I forgot about that.

I think Bivol has the talent to be able to move down, or up and beat all in those divisions. He would be a light Cruiser though.

I favor Briedis, because in my eyes, he still hasn't been beaten. Only guy that made Usyk fight for his life and arguably beat him.

Have to disagree here Boz. I recall Briedis started off quite well, but once Usyk settled he took control of the fight. I think there were probably some tight rounds mid way through which could have been given either way.

I dug out my scorecard for the fight: https://fight-score.com/scorecard/56/oleksandr-usyk-vs-mairis-briedis

I think Bivol has the talent to be able to move down, or up and beat all in those divisions. He would be a light Cruiser though.

Have to disagree here Boz. I recall Briedis started off quite well, but once Usyk settled he took control of the fight. I think there were probably some tight rounds mid way through which could have been given either way.

I dug out my scorecard for the fight: https://fight-score.com/scorecard/56/oleksandr-usyk-vs-mairis-briedis

Agree to disagree. Usyk did have his moments in the second half but I thought Briedis def won it. At least 115-113.

Agree to disagree. Usyk did have his moments in the second half but I thought Briedis def won it. At least 115-113.

I recall it being a VERY close, defensive chess match, but that Briedas basically gave it away in round 12.

I think the fight was close more because Usyk didn't want to take any chances, than due to skill from Briedis.

(Not to knock Briedis, who is certainly no slouch.)

It certainly wasn't a fight that would make anyone assume Usyk can do great at HW.

If he showed Briedis that much respect, what's he going to do against AJ or Wilder?

Edited by Cableaddict

I recall it being a VERY close, defensive chess match, but that Briedas basically gave it away in round 12.

I think the fight was close more because Usyk didn't want to take any chances, than due to skill from Briedis.

(Not to knock Briedis, who is certainly no slouch.)

It certainly wasn't a fight that would make anyone assume Usyk can do great at HW.

If he showed Briedis that much respect, what's he going to do against AJ or Wilder?

Anyway, we can both agree Usyk had an easier time against Glowacki, right? ;-)

Anyway, we can both agree Usyk had an easier time against Glowacki, right? ;-)

No doubt.

Also, if Usyk-Briedas ended as a draw, I wouldn't have been mad.

I can even see how someone preferring aggression and big punches might have had it for Briedas, but I thought Usyk's defense was really solid, and he was slipping a lot of close punches.

No doubt.

Also, if Usyk-Briedas ended as a draw, I wouldn't have been mad.

I can even see how someone preferring aggression and big punches might have had it for Briedas, but I thought Usyk's defense was really solid, and he was slipping a lot of close punches.

It's possible, but I thought Usyk wasn't effective enough in his offense either.