Joshua vs Ruiz Jr - The Inquest. What Went Wrong?

Undefeated

Re: Joshua vs Ruiz Jr - The Inquest. What Went Wrong?

--- Now Ton, most every appraisal of Josh starts with he didn't look right. On paper Josh beats him hands down just like Joe Louis does Schmeling, only he took a beating far worse than Josh which gave the critics armed with typical racial stereotypes a field day in the press rooms.

Poor Schmeling didn't stand a chance in the rematch. Alas, there is no Jack Dempsey to arouse the fire in Josh like he did Joe. The rematch is 99% guaranteed this year, so let's see.

Meanwhile the Ring noodles have chosen the two Nancys who ducked a Kings Ransom to Nancy each for peanuts over the unified champ with Josh behind him...only in boxing!

Ring Ratings Update: Andy Ruiz crashes heavyweight rankings - The Ring

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--- Now Ton, most every appraisal of Josh starts with he didn't look right. On paper Josh beats him hands down just like Joe Louis does Schmeling, only he took a beating far worse than Josh which gave the critics armed with typical racial stereotypes a field day in the press rooms.

Poor Schmeling didn't stand a chance in the rematch. Alas, there is no Jack Dempsey to arouse the fire in Josh like he did Joe. The rematch is 99% guaranteed this year, so let's see.

Meanwhile the Ring noodles have chosen the two Nancys who ducked a Kings Ransom to Nancy each for peanuts over the unified champ with Josh behind him...only in boxing!

Ring Ratings Update: Andy Ruiz crashes heavyweight rankings - The Ring

As with any rankings it's all subjective and dependant on criteria.

I can see a case for both sides. He just walloped the number 1 man, thus he becomes the number 1 man. But then I also understand its about overall resume too, and Ruiz has a loss to Parker, who AJ beat, and could maybe just lose to Wilder or Fury.....again, it's subjective.

For me it makes sense to drop AJ down a few notches, have Ruiz above him and Wilder/Fury as the 1,2 due to resume and longevity at the top.

---Keep in mind Deyonce for years and now Fury have blatantly ducked Josh, and Parker #3 when Josh beat him, so by Rings own rules, Josh shoulda been their Ring champ and now Andy and no controversy save Ring dolts refused or are too stooopid to follow their own rules.

I don't make this up and you can't fix stooopid!

---Keep in mind Deyonce for years and now Fury have blatantly ducked Josh...... !

You keep riding that donkey like it's some kind of stallion.

Look in the mirror, brother. It has long, droopy ears and a sad face.

Edited by Cableaddict

Joshua reminds me a lot of Frank Bruno when he was active, muscular, but questionable stamina. Will he win the rematch, who knows? It depends if this loss affects him mentally. Look at David Price after his loss, he was mentally shot.

Price mistake was he took an immediate rematch which was stupid, he needed to regroup, learn from his mistake and build back up sensibly

Price mistake was he took an immediate rematch which was stupid, he needed to regroup, learn from his mistake and build back up sensibly

He came close to winning against Thompson the first time, to be fair, and the shot that took him out was a temple shot that would scramble anyone's brains.

I just added what I fought here - http://www.koboxingforum.com/showthread.php?t=112416&page=4

I'll do a quick recap here.

What I think went wrong was that Joshua's slow pace in the opening rounds played into Ruiz fighting style and game plan.

There was no determination from Joshua to set a pace early on that would of questioned Ruiz stamina. There was real lack of movement from Joshua and Ruiz didn't have to chase AJ or tire. Ruiz just stood there and walked slowly towards AJ when he wanted to get in range, He didn't have to over exert himself in the rounds.

Ruiz isn’t the fittest fighter and he fought the perfect fight by picking his shots and not over exerting himself in the rounds. Joshua fighting at a slow pace with limited movement and punch output suited Ruiz.

He came close to winning against Thompson the first time, to be fair, and the shot that took him out was a temple shot that would scramble anyone's brains.

You mean the second time? First time he was just blown out in 2, second time he put Tiger Tony down and was then worn out in 5.

You mean the second time? First time he was just blown out in 2, second time he put Tiger Tony down and was then worn out in 5.

You're right, I've got them confused - I thought the first fight went longer and he got caught, while the second fight he punched himself out really early.

Still, my main point stands - the rematch is defensible because anyone can get wiped out by one of those shots. At the time I think I was in favour of an immediate rematch, thinking Price would be able to redeem himself and move on. Poor guy never could catch a break.

There was no determination from Joshua to set a pace early on that would of questioned Ruiz stamina. There was real lack of movement from Joshua and Ruiz didn't have to chase AJ or tire. Ruiz just stood there and walked slowly towards AJ when he wanted to get in range, He didn't have to over exert himself in the rounds.

Ruiz isn’t the fittest fighter and he fought the perfect fight by picking his shots and not over exerting himself in the rounds. Joshua fighting at a slow pace with limited movement and punch output suited Ruiz.

Well Ruiz is fitter than Joshua so if Joshua tried to set the pace he would have been even more exhausted than he already was after the first round, I've watched the fight 3 times now and the last time I watched the SBO broadcast and Joshua was gasping for breath on his stool after a pretty relatively quiet 1st round, add that to the fact that AJ's chin isn't the best and I think it's clear why he didn't try to press the action

Well Ruiz is fitter than Joshua so if Joshua tried to set the pace he would have been even more exhausted than he already was after the first round, I've watched the fight 3 times now and the last time I watched the SBO broadcast and Joshua was gasping for breath on his stool after a pretty relatively quiet 1st round, ......

It's really surprising how bad AJ's stamina is, even for a big, muscular guy. I think he simply lost the genetics lottery when he was born. Some people have a really low VO2 max, and or really low ability to bind oxygen molecules, etc. Training can only improve that a little bit.

But the real issue is AJ's trainer & his corner during the fight. They had what, 2 months to study Ruiz? RUIZ, mind you, who's great at what he does, but incredibly limited.

And they couldn't come up with a decent game plan?

They didn't realize that fighting from distance would be a sure fire win?

Well Ruiz is fitter than Joshua so if Joshua tried to set the pace he would have been even more exhausted than he already was after the first round, I've watched the fight 3 times now and the last time I watched the SBO broadcast and Joshua was gasping for breath on his stool after a pretty relatively quiet 1st round, add that to the fact that AJ's chin isn't the best and I think it's clear why he didn't try to press the action

I just watched the end of round 1 again and I don't think AJ looked exhausted sitting in the corner and I certainly don't think he was gasping for air.

Theres no way Joshua didn't train to the point he'd be tired after one round of boxing especially with the lack of effort from both fighters.

I'm surprised that Joshua stamina isn't a lot better especially with Rob McCracken as his trainer, considering how fit Carl Froch was.

It's really surprising how bad AJ's stamina is, even for a big, muscular guy. I think he simply lost the genetics lottery when he was born. Some people have a really low VO2 max, and or really low ability to bind oxygen molecules, etc. Training can only improve that a little bit.

But the real issue is AJ's trainer & his corner during the fight. They had what, 2 months to study Ruiz? RUIZ, mind you, who's great at what he does, but incredibly limited.

Rob McCraken had been his trainer from day one but not officialy due to his amateur comitments. They way he had Carl Froch prepared you'd think fitness wouldn't be an issue.

The more heavyier and muscly you are, your body works harder - maybe he needs to sacrifice some of the muscle/weight for fitness.

I think we'll see a different Joshua come the end of 2019 in the rematch.

I just watched the end of round 1 again and I don't think AJ looked exhausted sitting in the corner and I certainly don't think he was gasping for air.

Theres no way Joshua didn't train to the point he'd be tired after one round of boxing especially with the lack of effort from both fighters.

I'm surprised that Joshua stamina isn't a lot better especially with Rob McCracken as his trainer, considering how fit Carl Froch was.

OK maybe it was round 2, it was 1 or 2, I can't check now as Warrington fight card is about to start but I'll check and come back to you either way, it might just be that we disagree with our eyes but I recall the breathlessness being pretty pronounced so I'll double check.

I heard AJ was in Miami having a right old time, a bit like David Haye when he was "training" for the first Bellew fight. I think vanity might be the reason his stamina isn't better, he only fights twice a year but the rest of the time he probably likes having the muscles and size and is in love with the love he gets from the ladies because of it

Yeah it's McCracken's fault, definitely. He has to take responsibility but instead no one's seen or heard from him since AJ was knocked out. Froch obviously sings his praises and gives him massive amounts of credit and I'm sure much of it is warranted but I recall Taylor vs Froch, a round or two before the fight ended and after Froch had been dropped and was down on the cards, McCracken was reading Froch the riot act because of his defensive irresponsibility, Froch retorted "Don't worry, I've got him", McCracken responds "No, you haven't got him" and well, we know the rest.

Seems to me Froch just did what he wanted come fight night but it worked. The only time I recall Froch doing what he was told from round 1 until the end was in his last professional fight when he knew that the risk of losing was real and bragging rights were at stake.

He did but he didn't and ended up on his arse, the rematch was a big mistake imo

The game plan was going fine until he went in for the kill and got caught

The game plan was going fine until he went in for the kill and got caught

Yeah, but he wasn't done at that point. Instead of going into survival mode for a few rounds (easy to do with that reach advantage) he chose to move forward and box from mid range. It was insane.

• Like 1

I disagree. It was bad in this fight, but how did he stop guys like Takam in 10 rounds and Klitschko in 11 if he had bad stamina??

OK maybe it was round 2, it was 1 or 2, I can't check now as Warrington fight card is about to start but I'll check and come back to you either way, it might just be that we disagree with our eyes but I recall the breathlessness being pretty pronounced so I'll double check.

I heard AJ was in Miami having a right old time, a bit like David Haye when he was "training" for the first Bellew fight. I think vanity might be the reason his stamina isn't better, he only fights twice a year but the rest of the time he probably likes having the muscles and size and is in love with the love he gets from the ladies because of it

OK, @Budweiser, I'm watching it again now, here's the link, FULL FIGHT! Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr - YouTube scroll to 11:12 (which is the end of round 1) and watch from there, at 11:36 he sucks in the air, between then he's breathing way too hard for 3 mins of not that much action (look at AJ when the Vaseline is being smeared on his eyebrows, I'm telling you he's got fitness problems), you can't determine fitness levels by how one looks with their shirt off, if you neglect the roadwork or your muscles are too big then this is what happens after 3 mins of low activity.