Joshua vs Ruiz Jr - The Inquest. What Went Wrong?

Undefeated

According to the judges Joshua was up 2-0 at the start of the 3rd and after scoring the first knockdown of the fight looked to be on his way to a comfortable victory. But then what happened?

We saw what happened in the fight but in terms of Joshua's game plan, he got caught, dropped, got up to his feet but then why wasn't he able to make the adjustments needed to take care of business? He wasn't under any serious pressure from Ruiz Jr in the 4th, 5th or 6th. It took him 2 full rounds to recover after being dropped by Klitschko and the punch Klitschko landed on him was far more devastating than any single punch Ruiz Jr landed on him last night yet in London he climbed up as he did in NY but managed to recoup and then find that second wind and get Klitschko out of there. He was dropped twice in the 3rd vs Ruiz Jr but then he had 3 rounds to recover.

I also noted that between rounds (DAZN coverage) AJ was desperately trying to get his trainer to tell him what to expect and what to do, he seemed panicked and unfortunately for my money McCracken didn't really offer anything up to the champ. He should have been at the post-fight press conference with AJ, anyone know why he didn't show up? He shows up when they win and takes questions, last night the most important questions of his career so far needed to be answered and he was a no show and I can't find any interviews even now, has anyone heard from him?

After getting up twice in the 7th the referee asked him if he wanted to continue, AJ says yes but then makes no effort to leave his corner, arms draped over the top ropes and looking to the side in came the stoppage - so I have to ask, did Joshua quit?

WBC world heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder says he did and it's hard to argue otherwise because if he didn't quit, what was he doing? Why didn't he come out gloves up ready to go?

Hearn seemed more keen on the immediate rematch than AJ did in the post-fight press conference. AJ said he'd take the rematch too but seemed more interested in Wilder or Fury, as he did before the Ruiz Jr fight. If he fights Wilder or Fury as a challenger and they're still undefeated, 50/50 isn't in the conversation surely?

Finally, let's have a look at your top 5 heavyweights as of right now in order if you don't mind.

I got 1. Fury 2. Wilder 3. Ruiz Jr 4. Joshua 5. Whyte

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Joshua vs Ruiz Jr - The Inquest. What Went Wrong?

Very similar, i just have Wilder ahead of Fury, i hate wilders style but he is just brute force and not many today can deal with that that, would love to see wilder vs ruiz to see how wilder copes with someone on top of him constantly

would love to see wilder vs ruiz to see how wilder copes with someone on top of him constantly

A big right hand to the jaw :lol: and even if it didn't get Ruiz Jr out of there immediately, he wouldn't be on top of him constantly anymore after that, that's for sure

Joshua reminds me a lot of Frank Bruno when he was active, muscular, but questionable stamina. Will he win the rematch, who knows? It depends if this loss affects him mentally. Look at David Price after his loss, he was mentally shot.

I think Ruiz's fast hands and height will make it difficult for Wilder as well he needs distance and leverage to detonate that big right hand and I'm not sure he'd get it with Ruiz. Fury would handle him with ease though.

As for Joshua, well that wasn;t the guy who boxed and brawled his way through Whyte and Klitschko. No stamina or punch resistance. Didn't know what to do when hurt and fell apart under pressure. Looked like he hadn't prepared either mentally or physically.

1. Wilder

2. Fury

3. Ruiz

4. AJ

5. Whyte

1 & 2 SHOULD be flipped if Fury was given the decision as he should have been, but based on the draw it has to be that way round.

Think Ruiz will gain so much confidence from that win, probably has a lot more self belief. It's true that if Wilder catches him, he likely stays down.

Think Fury would actually struggle with his style though. Ruiz will walk through anything Fury throws, he has has speed and accuracy to land, and we know Tyson is relatively easily laid out if you connect well.

Ruiz would only have a chance against Fury in a small ring. Parker beat Ruiz with movement and skill. Fury's a much better boxer and mover than Parker.

Wasn't the Parker-Ruiz decision a controversial one?

--- Felt something Rotten in Denmark in the opening two rounds as Josh looked puzzled at Ruiz pressing him without throwing much. Just stick a jab and move son and work out your timing, easy for Josh, but not on this Saturday. In his ring walk he was slapping all extended hands in glow of accolades. Nobody extended hands or Ruiz to slap, so already Ruiz is majorly focused on that ring instead of lollygagging around. I also spotted Sam Watson, Haymon's main man.

OK then, post fight pic here is in the prefight with the Ruiz team listening to the Mexican anthem with Sam:

ruiz-defeats-joshua01.jpg?ssl=1

This is just seconds after the fight was stopped. Ruiz team in the ring on top of him with Sam collaring the ref with no officials yet in the ring. Josh team outside the ropes save for one, possibly two in the ring, but what are they doing? Bowing and scraping before him. Where's McCracken. Had I a fighter I poured my blood and sweat into I'd be in the ring so fast someone might get knocked over if they were in the way.

ruiz-defeats-joshua17.jpg?ssl=1

In the post fight presser with Josh absent in the hospital, Ruiz thanks his team and Al Haymon for this opportunity. Ruiz has been with Arum like since forever and if there was an announcement of a new contract it was buried in the media blitz. McCracken absent and no mention of him. Was he at the hospital?

Both mentally and physically Josh looked dialed in during that 3rd when he caught Ruiz with that left hook that put him down for the first time in his career. Then upon a return to action he caught Ruiz with a full on flush straight right that would've finished any of Haymon's heavies, save Ruiz. Normally Josh would return to careful boxing to look for the next shot where he's near guaranteed a decision in a distance fight, but instead got hasty and clocked. H sorta skeetered around for 4 and 5 until the 6th starts as Ruiz bullies him as I recall. Dont have the card with me at my liberry!

Anyway, he set the 3rd millennium record for the fewest career fights for his first title shot and win and made 6 storied defenses by his 22nd fight and I doubt anyone will ever match that. Might be too late for a new trainer with the rematch coming in November, but like I say, Something Rotten in Denmark as the kid was just off the whole night like he was fighting on Tyson's psych meds. New York is probably the worst commish in America with a sordid history.

In short, there is just too much monkey biz with this fight as I laid out. He's got to take the loss and move on because these suits these days or a lot more clever than in the past, and btw on the night of the fight Bob Arum was still listed as his promoter on boxrec. As of today, thus far checking out some modern fighters including Ruiz, any mention of promoters has been eliminated...forever or for how long?

I don't make this shhh up!

I think Joshua simply met his match. Andy Ruiz is dangerous up close and Joshua tried to finish him off and ran into a big one. And then some. In the rematch he will have to be more cautious, simply. Had Parker gone all out swinging that night he fought AJ, who knows what would've happened. But for some reason, he just chose to box and avoid exchanges.

Hearing now AJ's father had to be pulled off Fast Eddie in the dressing room after the fight. I have also been told by the same high ranking security officer that AJ had been levelled during a sparring session hence the reason he also came into the ring marked up on Saturday. We await further revelations cos something clearly wasnt right with AJ's body language and the manner in which he seemed to retire standing in that corner.

(I'm taking nothing away from Andy though - a cracking display.)

--- Can only applaud Andy for doing what fighters have done from time immemorial.

In the meantime boxrec updated their heavy rankings and Fat Andy #1...poor Deyonce and still fighting for peanuts!

They also updated their mgr and promoter data that shows Arum ending in 2018, which like I mentioned was news to me.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Andy_Ruiz_Jr.

--- And speaking of ratings, them Ring boys done painted themselves in a corner.

Josh #1, Fury 2 and Wilder 3 with Andy Unranked. Now as mentioned, boxrec upgraded Andy to #1, so if they bump Josh down, Fury becomes #1, so where does the guy who just splattered their #1 fit his supersized girth in? I figure their gonna take a hit if they don't put Andy #1. Since boxrec is an ever changing computer algorithm, they suffer not.

Oh oh to be a fly on the wall of that multi member committee to see fingernails drawn at the ready as outbursts ring out, my pun for the day!

Ratings - The Ring

But Fury's lineal innit? :haha:

Fucking "Lineal" :rant:

Hearing now AJ's father had to be pulled off Fast Eddie in the dressing room after the fight. I have also been told by the same high ranking security officer that AJ had been levelled during a sparring session hence the reason he also came into the ring marked up on Saturday. We await further revelations cos something clearly wasnt right with AJ's body language and the manner in which he seemed to retire standing in that corner.

(I'm taking nothing away from Andy though - a cracking display.)

There's always excuses and revelations after the fact isn't there. Saw an IFL video of Hearn immediately after the fight saying the better man won. AJ had said everything in the build up was fine....

Have also seen people mention of AJ father being aggitated in the ring or something. He was likely just emotional. His untouchable, god-like son just got walloped. That invincibility distinguished! But people like to jump to juicy stories and little rumours and innuendo snowball quickly. So I take anything like this, after a big shock loss, with a tiny grain of salt.

We await further revelations cos something clearly wasnt right with AJ's body language and the manner in which he seemed to retire standing in that corner.

I'm hearing now that AJ was indeed KO'd in sparring and that he was still concussed on fight night and AJ's father tried to get his son to withdraw from the contest but that Eddie Hearn wouldn't let him and imposed his will on Joshua that the fight must go on, I didn't actually hear the bit about Dad attacking Hearn afterwards in the dressing room but that bit you heard seems to follow on nicely from the bit I heard.

Just rumour btw, I don't have any firm sources on this but the pieces seem to be slotting in without any resistance at the moment, no wonder McCracken disappeared immediately afterwards, I'm sure he didn't want to take any questions about that, especially if he was in agreement with AJ's old man beforehand. Hearn needs to give us an hour with Kugan asap!

AJ had said everything in the build up was fine....

Once you glove up and come out of the corner for the 1st round there can be no excuses, I'd expect him to have said nothing else when asked post-fight, like David Haye after he suffered back to back defeats (although I'm sure you'll remind me of Haye post Klitschko now lol) but USUALLY that's like the code, if you're not fit don't fight but if you do then no excuses afterwards.

How do you think he would do in a rematch say in November though?

I'm hearing now that AJ was indeed KO'd in sparring and that he was still concussed on fight night and AJ's father tried to get his son to withdraw from the contest but that Eddie Hearn wouldn't let him and imposed his will on Joshua that the fight must go on,...!

That sound like total BS to me.

AJ said BEFORE the fight that he felt great and was at 100%.

Additionally, he looked absolutely fine for the first 3 rounds.

Additionally, if that were the case, AJ would not have been asking his corner "why do I feel like this?" He would have known.

Additionally, if that were the case, when AJ asked his corner "why do I feel like this?" McKraken would have immediately called the fight off.

Additionally, if that were the case, Team AJ would have had a neurologist in the corner, for the entire fight.

And finally, there is a rule about not being able to fight for X amount of days after a concussion.

I smell a distinct odor wafting through the air, and it 'aint roses.

That sound like total BS to me.

AJ said BEFORE the fight that he felt great and was at 100%.

Additionally, he looked absolutely fine for the first 3 rounds.

Additionally, if that were the case, AJ would not have been asking his corner "why do I feel like this?" He would have known.

Additionally, if that were the case, when AJ asked his corner "why do I feel like this?" McKraken would have immediately called the fight off.

Additionally, if that were the case, Team AJ would have had a neurologist in the corner, for the entire fight.

And finally, there is a rule about not being able to fight for X amount of days after a concussion.

I smell a distinct odor wafting through the air, and it 'aint roses.

That's fair enough, as I said, I didn't hear it from the horses mouth or anything, actually I have found it being reported in the news now so I expect this is the original source of the news I heard this morning but the papers are clear that it is a rumour at this stage so I guess time will tell but I watched the fight back yesterday and for my eyes AJ didn't look "normal" during the ringwalk and introductions but I concur that once the bell rang he looked absolutely fine until he hit the canvas for the first time. I didn't hear him ask McCracken "why do I feel like this?", it's in the article too though, did you watch it on SBO? I watched DAZN so they prob didn't cover his corner at that moment as I've seen the fight twice now and have not heard that.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/553185/anthony-joshua-loss-joey-dawejko-knocked-aj-out-sparring-ruiz-jr-loss/

As for team AJ having a neurologist in the corner for the fight, surely the commission wouldn't let him fight if his team were requesting a neuro oversee AJ throughout? That would be contrary to having the best interests of the fighter's health I imagine.

And I guess that if the team didn't declare to the doctors that he had suffered a KO in sparring and was concussed then there would be no way for anyone to enforce the ban on him fighting. Unfortunately we may never get to know whether these rumours are true even in part.

Edited by Undefeated
Forgot to add link to news article referenced

AJ underestimated his opponent and got caught by a clean shot when he tried to finish off a shaken Ruiz and he never quite recovered from it; it is no more than that regardless of how it has been spun.

This shit happens in HW boxing.

Sure, anytime there's a massive upset in boxing an explanation has to be given other than "the better man won on the night".

Did you hear Luis Ortiz come out (yesterday I think it was) telling Wilder "Don't overlook me" loool, that old guy is gonna get smashed to bits in the rematch but I guess he's got Ruiz fever now, can't blame him really

--- Looks like Fat Dan and his fat oafs have spoken. They have the two who turned down a Kings ransom to fight Josh and could only draw against each other over one of the few heavies willing to fight their #1 Josh...only in boxing!

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/21675272/divisional-rankings-andy-ruiz-jr-shakes-heavyweight-division-tko-win-anthony-joshua#HEA