It's Official: Canelo The First WBC Franchise Champ!!!

--- Truth being stranger than fiction, I ain't making this up!

Fat Mauricio has proclaimed by fiat that Canelo is the first and for now only WBC Franchise Champion. I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Grrr- link to follow:

Boxing News: Canelo named WBC franchise champion >> May 30, 2019

Edited by LondonRingRules

• 4 weeks later...

Re: It's Official: Canelo The First WBC Franchise Champ!!!

“Canelo will represent the WBC in all his fights as a franchise fighter. He is the face of the WBC and in any fight in the division he will be the official WBC representative,”

Excellent, that should backfire spectacularly at some point.

Remember those heady days of yore,

back when Jose Sulaiman died, and it seemed like Mauricio was going to make all sorts of changes that would make pro boxing better for everyone?

Sigh ....................

I don't know what that's meant to mean apart from the fact that he won't have any mandatories and will be fighting whomever he and DAZN want to fight at 160 from now on but as far as I'm concerned he's relinquished his WBC world title at 160, and there are now 3 instead of 2 champions in the weight class.

The bias shown by the WBC in favour of Canelo is nauseating. Ever since he put that belt in the bin rather than face his mandatory challenger, they've been kissing his behind and clearly there's no end in sight

I don't know what that's meant to mean

Cable's point is son has taken over from father and despite all the BS about change the WBC remains as corrupt as FIFA and as bent as ever.

It was inevitable - the sanctioning bodies have descended into such absurdity that they have begun to undercut the sole residual service they offered to the sport of boxing. The only reason for good offered by sanctioning bodies was that they provide some impetus for existing champions to defend their belts against worthy challengers. Of course, we all know that thie feature has long been on the wane - champions from other organisations aren't ranked; and there is borderline straight up corruption re: who does and doesn't get ranked. But at least they could retain a thin veneer of point and purpose under the guise that they forge opportunities for up and coming fighters to compete against the best in the division. 'Franchise' champion seems to relinquish all of this. If only this self-parody would prompt some sort of collective re-think within the sport as to why we continue to allow it to be dominated by corrosive and nefarious sanctioning divisions.