Fatboy Reckoning-Andy Ruiz vs Anthony Joshua

Re: Fatboy Reckoning-Andy Ruiz vs Anthony Joshua

First of all props to the new and first Mexican heavyweight champion, came in at short notice and got off the canvas to get the job done. Joshua didn't look right during the ring walk or the introductions but I'm not gonna take anything away from Ruiz Jr, he had to get the win and he got it dropping the Brit multiple times over 6 rounds. The ref took forever to wave that off, I was calling for the wave off seconds after Joshua failed to come out of the corner to resume the round, I don't know how much time he wanted but it's a disappointing end to his reign as champion, losing it on his US debut against a fighter with all the physical disadvantages such as his. I thought Ruiz Jr lost it at one point because he seemed to be letting Joshua recover and I thought the opportunity was gone but he actually played a blinder. He knew the pressure was on AJ and waited for him to force the action and let his hands go first, knowing that his recovery is terrible, and then showed us the hand speed that everyone talks about, a massive well done to him but Joshua will be back, the problem is if AJ can't get you out of there in his first attack on you and you're still semi-OK, he's there for the taking. So he says he'll exercise the rematch clause immediately, I see how Joshua can win that fight, it shouldn't have been as hard as it was, I know Ruiz is game but a commanding jab, a well timed right hand and patience has to be enough next time (it would have been this time too if we saw it).

And.....NEW!!! :clap2:

Taylor vs Persoon was the fight of the night for me and a contender for FOTY (haven't seen Kelly vs Robinson yet though) what a cracker, I thought Persoon pulled it out, I get why she was upset afterwards but I can't call it a robbery, it was a close fight unless you speak to DAZN's Barry Tompkins who thought that Persoon had only won 1 round through 7 lol, God knows what he was watching.

surprised Ruiz got the win, looking at the other scores, only way fat boy was winning was by stoppage,, over the moon for the bloke. Robinson and Persoon will be waking up feeling hard done by, and rightly so imo

surprised Ruiz got the win, looking at the other scores, only way fat boy was winning was by stoppage,, over the moon for the bloke. Robinson and Persoon will be waking up feeling hard done by, and rightly so imo

AJ was up on the cards?

Wow. Well, not any different from the rest of the fights that night.

Edited by Cableaddict

AJ was up on the cards?

No he wasn't, he was up on 1 but down on the others, personally I had it 58-55 Ruiz at the end of the 6th how about you?

Pasquale-Procopio-1896810.webp?r=1559475320747

AJ was up on the cards?

he was up on 1 card 57-56, down on the other 2 by the same score, Ruiz deffo needed that stoppage

No he wasn't, he was up on 1 but down on the others, personally I had it 58-55 Ruiz at the end of the 6th how about you?

Pasquale-Procopio-1896810.webp?r=1559475320747

Had the same score as you, how the one judge had aj ahead i dont know, the other scores are a little dodgy too, Ruiz needed a stoppage here imo, he was never getting a decision last night

Had the same score as you, how the one judge had aj ahead i dont know, the other scores are a little dodgy too, Ruiz needed a stoppage here imo, he was never getting a decision last night

Oh yeah eventually as the rounds went by the 10-9s would have rolled in for AJ to ensure a points victory, in the absence of any further knockdowns from then on in Joshua would have got the decision no doubt and I actually don't have any problem with that if I'm honest. I'm the kind of guy who needs to see the challenger taking the rounds from the champ, if there's hardly anything going on and I can hardly split 'em I usually throw the 10-9 to the person defending the championship since we always try to avoid even rounds

Oh yeah eventually as the rounds went by the 10-9s would have rolled in for AJ to ensure a points victory, in the absence of any further knockdowns from then on in Joshua would have got the decision no doubt and I actually don't have any problem with that if I'm honest. I'm the kind of guy who needs to see the challenger taking the rounds from the champ, if there's hardly anything going on and I can hardly split 'em I usually throw the 10-9 to the person defending the championship since we always try to avoid even rounds

I hate even rds too brother, someone always does that little bit extra. Ruiz was never going to win a decision though no matter what. i'm glad it ended the way it did with no controversy, its what boxing needs. i fully expect aj to execute the rematch and win that, he needed that wake up call though for sure

I hate even rds too brother, someone always does that little bit extra. Ruiz was never going to win a decision though no matter what. i'm glad it ended the way it did with no controversy, its what boxing needs. i fully expect aj to execute the rematch and win that, he needed that wake up call though for sure

Ruiz Jr is gonna be looking like AJ by the time a rematch comes around lol, I don't know if AJ wins it though. Remember when Douglas beat Tyson, Tyson never had the rematch but remember when Lewis lost to Rahman, in the post fight interview Lewis was talking about "There's NO WAY he can beat me" and "We definitely getting that rematch" like, Lewis was sure before he left the ring that he was levels above Rahman and he immediately understood what went wrong and how he puts that right, if he could have rematched him the next day he would have. I didn't see that from Joshua, he seemed resigned to the fact that he lost to the better man, he pretended to have a problem with the stoppage in the immediate aftermath but only for a second or two, after that he was like "yeah OK, I know it's my fault, I'm knackered though"

A key difference however, is Lewis was caught with a shot he didn't see coming whereas Joshua lost like Tyson lost, he was beaten up (albeit not as badly).

I agree, Joshua takes the rematch since without the belts he can't earn anything near what he's been earning but I don't know that he recaptures him, I'll have to see about that closer to the time.

The best thing, besides being thrilled for Fat Andy, is that this really might make AJ a better boxer. (Assuming it wasn't all a big con job, and I'm about 50/50 on that.)

AJ certainly needed a wake-up call, before facing Wilder. Can't get more alarm clocks going off than this.

Best thing for the HW division in a long, long time.

Edited by Cableaddict

There's no way that was a set up. Joshua wanted to make a big impression in America and failed. The blueprint for beating him was as far back as the klitschko fight. He seemed exhausted after the first knockdown.

I was on the fence as to the outcome of Joshua Vs Wilder. Now I am 90% certain Wilder KOs him.

With hindsight was a massive error of judgment going to the US. Should have stayed at home at Wembley. AJ never recovered from the very first KD. Fair fucks to Fat Andy for capitalizing on it. He may even give One-Punch-Charlie a run for his money. And I would definitely like to see Fat Andy vs Tyson.

Interesting McCracken was a no-show at the post fight presser. Wonder if we can read anything into that.

Boxing is crazy.

So i went to the weigh in on friday, didn't meet anyone except Claressa who was sprinting by near the hotel.

The next day i hung out at the hotel about 90 before the doors opened at MSG. First fighter we meet is Kevin McBride. Now i know he's not anything crazy special to everyone, but he fought on the 1st boxing card i ever attended back in 1994, so it was kind of special to talk to him for a bit. We talk to Joseph Parker for a little bit. He tells us about the fight in Providence, RI later this month. Next was Devin Haney, always fun to chat with him. Said he's ready for anyone within his weight class. Joked around with Rocky Fielding about the last time he was in NYC against Canelo. Adam Booth, awesome guy to chat it up with (this was before Kelly got a draw).

At the fights we had decent seats. My buddy decided to sneak closer, i stayed where i was because i wanted to walk around in-between fights to see who i can find. Ran into Michael "The Bounty" Hunter. One of the highlights talking to him. He's also a collector of old fights, said for me to keep in touch in case he's looking for anything in particular. I ended up running into him like 20 more times the rest of the night, and we laughed about it. Talked to Jessica McCaskill, holding a WBC belt. She was upset the WBA didn't get her the belt yet. Said a rematch with Katie is being looked at, but not likely next.

The Josh Kelly vs Ray Robinson could've gone either way. I'm fine with the draw. I just feel like at time Robinson does enough to stay competitive, but not enough to clearly win rounds.

I'm cool with the Taylor vs Persoon scores. I had it for Katie, but close. If it were a draw i wouldn't be mad. I say run it back for a rematch.

Talked to Periban after his lost against Joshua Buatsi. He was in good spirit, said he wasn't hurt and would've liked to continue. Prospect Ammo Williams was very friendly, and enjoying his first visit to NYC.

So we then go back to our seats, as we walk back my sister picks up a ticket off the floor for a much lower section. We stay in our seats until just before the main event, and then end up sneaking down 10 rows from the floor section for the AJ vs Ruiz fight. Didn't care for all the disgusting stuff i heard being said about Ruiz during the fight. Mostly plumber crack, he needs a sandwich, fatboy, etc. Lot of people doing make believe bets saying it won't last 45 seconds or more than 3 rounds. Hmmm.

From what i saw live at MSG. AJ rushed in after dropping Ruiz hard and then got caught with a temple shot that put him down. Not sure he ever recovered from that for the rest of the fight. Ruiz banging the body, then transitioning upstairs made AJ gas out to the point he couldn't keep his hands up to defend himself. He was actually trying to only slip punches with head movement, mostly unsuccessfully. When Ruiz hurt him in the 7th, and let his hands go i had a feeling it was over. So i took out my phone and recorded the stoppage.

Class act by both fighters and congrats to Andy Ruiz Jr.

After the fight i saw Derrick Chisora, but couldn't talk to him.

As we were leaving we run into Lawrence Okolie, rapper Immortal Technique, Michael Hunter (again)

Back at the hotel we run into Joseph Parker again, Carl Frampton, Regis Prograis, Sergio Mora, Mick Conlan (got a middle finger pic with him), StarBoxing promoter Joe Deguardia, Tommy Coyle, Stephen Ward, Eddie Chambers, and Tevan Farmer.

As i was walking to the another hotel i ran into Ring Magazine editior Dougie Fischer. We ended up chatting for like 30+ minutes in the street. As i made my way back to the 1st hotel i was able to get Andy Ruiz just as he was about to leave to sign a glove for myself and another one for my buddy. Stuck around an chatted with Hasan N'Dam for like 20 minutes. Really interesting hearing his perspective of the fight with Callum Smith, his career, the 2016 Olympics, whats next for him etc.

All the people i mentioned i got pics with except Ruiz and Chisora. And i got gloved signed by Haney, Prograis and the NEW unified HW Champion of the world Andy The Destroyer Ruiz Jr.

Oh what a night.

Edited by repsac
  • Like 1

Boxing is crazy.

So i went to the weigh in on friday, didn't meet anyone except Claressa who was sprinting by near the hotel.

The next day i hung out at the hotel about 90 before the doors opened at MSG. First fighter we meet is Kevin McBride. Now i know he's not anything crazy special to everyone, but he fought on the 1st boxing card i ever attended back in 1994, so it was kind of special to talk to him for a bit. We talk to Joseph Parker for a little bit. He tells us about the fight in Providence, RI later this month. Next was Devin Haney, always fun to chat with him. Said he's ready for anyone within his weight class. Joked around with Rocky Fielding about the last time he was in NYC against Canelo. Adam Booth, awesome guy to chat it up with (this was before Kelly got a draw).

At the fights we had decent seats. My buddy decided to sneak closer, i stayed where i was because i wanted to walk around in-between fights to see who i can find. Ran into Michael "The Bounty" Hunter. One of the highlights talking to him. He's also a collector of old fights, said for me to keep in touch in case he's looking for anything in particular. I ended up running into him like 20 more times the rest of the night, and we laughed about it. Talked to Jessica McCaskill, holding a WBC belt. She was upset the WBA didn't get her the belt yet. Said a rematch with Katie is being looked at, but not likely next.

The Josh Kelly vs Ray Robinson could've gone either way. I'm fine with the draw. I just feel like at time Robinson does enough to stay competitive, but not enough to clearly win rounds.

I'm cool with the Taylor vs Persoon scores. I had it for Katie, but close. If it were a draw i wouldn't be mad. I say run it back for a rematch.

Talked to Periban after his lost against Joshua Buatsi. He was in good spirit, said he wasn't hurt and would've liked to continue. Prospect Ammo Williams was very friendly, and enjoying his first visit to NYC.

So we then go back to our seats, as we walk back my sister picks up a ticket off the floor for a much lower section. We stay in our seats until just before the main event, and then end up sneaking down 10 rows from the floor section for the AJ vs Ruiz fight. Didn't care for all the disgusting stuff i heard being said about Ruiz during the fight. Mostly plumber crack, he needs a sandwich, fatboy, etc. Lot of people doing make believe bets saying it won't last 45 seconds or more than 3 rounds. Hmmm.

From what i saw live at MSG. AJ rushed in after dropping Ruiz hard and then got caught with a temple shot that put him down. Not sure he ever recovered from that for the rest of the fight. Ruiz banging the body, then transitioning upstairs made AJ gas out to the point he couldn't keep his hands up to defend himself. He was actually trying to only slip punches with head movement, mostly unsuccessfully. When Ruiz hurt him in the 7th, and let his hands go i had a feeling it was over. So i took out my phone and recorded the stoppage.

Class act by both fighters and congrats to Andy Ruiz Jr.

After the fight i saw Derrick Chisora, but couldn't talk to him.

As we were leaving we run into Lawrence Okolie, rapper Immortal Technique, Michael Hunter (again)

Back at the hotel we run into Joseph Parker again, Carl Frampton, Regis Prograis, Sergio Mora, Mick Conlan (got a middle finger pic with him), StarBoxing promoter Joe Deguardia, Tommy Coyle, Stephen Ward, Eddie Chambers, and Tevan Farmer.

As i was walking to the another hotel i ran into Ring Magazine editior Dougie Fischer. We ended up chatting for like 30+ minutes in the street. As i made my way back to the 1st hotel i was able to get Andy Ruiz just as he was about to leave to sign a glove for myself and another one for my buddy. Stuck around an chatted with Hasan N'Dam for like 20 minutes. Really interesting hearing his perspective of the fight with Callum Smith, his career, the 2016 Olympics, whats next for him etc.

All the people i mentioned i got pics with except Ruiz and Chisora. And i got gloved signed by Haney, Prograis and the NEW unified HW Champion of the world Andy The Destroyer Ruiz Jr.

Oh what a night.

Sounds like a great night, and a very memorable one as well! One to look back on in years to come.

I missed the fight this time as I had been out, figured it wasn't worth staying up for. I had a hunch the next morning it hadn't gone to plan, and I get on my phone to check the sports news and there it is....Ruiz stuns Joshua.....FUCK! Should have watched it.

I've only seen a 5 min highlight video so far. I'll catch the full fight tomorrow maybe, but shit. It was like AJ nailed Ruiz, and he just seemed to go "fuck that" and unleash hell in retaliation. It was brilliant stuff.

I actually like Joshua, but over the last 12-18 months or so, with all the bullshit back and forth with the top guys in the heavyweight division I really lost interest. And I keep mentioning "who gives a fuck about the heavyweights", in the topics that come up mostly.

When Wilder, AJ and Fury all had their current/latest fights announced I was advocating how great it would be if they all lost their fights! They (or rather their promoters) all deserve their potential earnings in these mega fights to be scuppered for dlly dallying about and not giving the fans what they wanna see, and purely looking into their own self interests and bank balances.

Well now, the King of the Hill has been dethroned. I can't wait to watch the fight back and see Eddie's face as the dollar signs disappear from his eyes....

Well done Andy Ruiz! You've shook up the boxing world and this mundance division!

--- Reps, we have a sticky thread in Chatterbox for photos of members with boxers.

Just sayin':smiley-signs121:

Oh, and I do score even rounds to help me understand any controversy, and of the 6 rds I scored 3 even. That resulted in a 59-57 score for Ruiz, so I'm only 1 pt off the 2 judges for Ruiz who had it closer because of the unstated rule that close rounds go to the champ. Giving all my even rounds to Josh puts me in with the one card having him the winner.

Works like a charm most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I’ve been not well.

I'm surprised Joshua didn't stamp his authority in the first round and set the pace of the fight. Instead it was like watching two football teams in a friendly match, no pace, no determination and no real commitment.

The first round could easily be a contender for ‘Worst Round of the Year 2019’. The second round was pretty much the same. Is this the same fighter who wanted to make his mark on American soil and be the best fighter in the division by holding all the belts? Where is his hunger?

When you carry a lot of muscle mass, your arms tire faster, maybe Joshua was trying to pace himself over the 12 rounds. He caught Ruiz in round 3 when he finally let his hands go, but after the knockdown he became wild and tried to finish the fight, and his lack of defence was costly. A big learning curve for AJ!

I liked what Ruiz did in round three when he didn’t jump on Joshua, he let himself recover a little to get his strength back and picked his shots to knock down Joshua for the second time. Doing the opposite of what the commentators were telling him to do. Either way, Aj’s defence was shocking to say the least in round three.

Ruiz isn’t the fittest fighter and he fought the perfect fight by picking his shots and not over exerting himself in the rounds. Joshua fighting at a slow pace suited the flabby Ruiz.

Credit to Ruiz, and a massive congratulations for doing the unthinkable and becoming the first Heavyweight champion of the world.

There is something seriously wrong in the Joshua camp after that performance.