Thread: R.I.P. Bert Cooper

R.I.P. Bert Cooper

--- Long time contender and then gatekeeper before the punching bag stage, Bert Cooper passed Friday of pancreatic cancer at age 53. He debuted in 1984 with his last bout in 2012.

Not a big guy, nonetheless he was an unrepentant slugger in very fan friendly style. Record here:

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/1596
    "I knew that Clay would have to move backwards and fight. All I had to do is fight." ..................Joe Frazier after the first Ali fight.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LondonRingRules For This Useful Post:

Cableaddict (05-11-2019), selij (05-11-2019), WSMFC64 (05-11-2019)

Re: R.I.P. Bert Cooper

RIP boxing brother.

RIP- Bert Cooper

He was good offensively but sadly for him had no defense and no plan B. R.I.P. Smokin' Bert.

I loved watching him fight. He entertained at Cruiserweight then Heavyweight. He had a chin, the skills and the power. He came out of Philadelphia and was originally trained by the Legend Joe Frazier. He fought some of the best around and took part in some wild fights (The Michael Moorer fight is one of the best in Heavyweight history). He should've got a World title-shot at Cruiserweight but turned to Heavyweight. Never won the HW belt but gave Holyfield hell. Not always the most focused but he could fight. His resume is packed - wins and loses. He's well known for smashing undefeated Willie DeWitt, bare-knuckle boxer Joe Savage and Richie Melito. Beat quality like Joe Hipp and Orlin Norris. At Cruiser, he was the NABF champ taking Henry Tillman's '0'. His final record was 38-25, 31 KOs. Rest in Peace, Champ.

He had really long arms for his height. Without that, he'd have bigger problems. Being that he was only 5'11 at a time when heavies were already getting bigger.

--- Here's his epic vs Ray Mercer. Whoooey Mama, wouldn't have wanted to be either one of them that night!

"I knew that Clay would have to move backwards and fight. All I had to do is fight." ..................Joe Frazier after the first Ali fight.

Bert could fight.