Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Golden age of British boxing.....

Re: Golden age of British boxing.....

Quote Originally Posted by the_budweiser View Post
    We have some good fighters coming through the divisions, but, only time will tell if there good enough.
    This is what I mean though......IF we have recently been in a "golden" era....and by that I think it means the UK has had either half a dozen world champions at one time, and/or several fighters on the fringe of world title contention, it's hardly been up to much even these last few years, in the perceived golden era!

It's possibly more so that Eddie Hearn and Matchroom have given the sport something of a popularity boost with good marketing, a great poster boy in Joshua....people will always pay attention to the heavyweight champion if he is from the UK or the US. They (Matchroom) have made a night at the boxing a place to be, with your mates, plaster it all over your social media, look at me, look where I am.

But overall the current quality of the British crop is underwhelming......10 years back when I believe this "golden era" phrase was being touted there were some genuine class....

Calzaghe, Hatton, Haye, Froch, Witter Brook and Khan coming through......

Actually even that list above, while maybe not conclusive, isn't all that great in hindsight!

Northern Ireland seems to be a constant source of quality boxers...besides Frampton, you got Ryan Burnett now and Michael Conlan.

Quote Originally Posted by BoztheMadman View Post
    Northern Ireland seems to be a constant source of quality boxers...besides Frampton, you got Ryan Burnett now and Michael Conlan.
    I dont see the hype with Conlan personally. But for such a small nation they produce above their expectations I suppose.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ton For This Useful Post:

BoztheMadman (04-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ton View Post
    I dont see the hype with Conlan personally. But for such a small nation they produce above their expectations I suppose.
    I agree Ton - I'm not overly excited about him either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the_budweiser For This Useful Post:

Ton (04-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ton View Post
    Yep. Not so long ago they had Martin Lindsay also, very solid fighter. And a few others I'm sure, but right now I can't remember. Jim Rock, but he fought pretty long ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2