Oleksandr Usyk set to be installed as mandatory contender to Anthony Joshua

The_budweiser

Former undisputed cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk 16-0 (12) is expected to be installed as the mandatory challenger for the WBO heavyweight title currently in possession of Anthony Joshua 22-0 (21).

Alex Krassyuk of K2 Promotions has made it clear that Usyk will be targeting the unified heavyweight champion providing he gets through his heavyweight debut against Carlos Takam on May 25 unscathed.

Oleksandr Usyk set to be installed as mandatory contender to Anthony Joshua - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Oleksandr Usyk set to be installed as mandatory contender to Anthony Joshua

That's OK with me, if you're undisputed and then move up I've no problem with you getting a shot immediately.

But if he takes the fight with AJ immediately after June 1 he will be knocked out.

I guess this means we can expect a boring dance marathon vs Takam.

It makes perfect sense, of course. There's a small chance the mobile, athletic Usyk can win a dcision against the powerful but somewhat stiff AJ, and if not, well heck at least you cashed out while the cashing was good.

I bet we don't see Usyk vs Wilder for a looooong time. If ever.

In a boxing week superstar Canelo Alvarez vs Jacobs lie stream lit up NYC for a classy affair to announce their May 4 clash at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Hyperlink Edited. (Sel)

Banned for spamming without warning. No warning necessary in this case. Cant even spell 'Live'.

In a boxing week superstar Canelo Alvarez vs Jacobs lie stream lit up NYC for a classy affair to announce their May 4 clash at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Bot/spam alert

• Like 1

I dont fully understand this. "Set to be installed as AJ's mandatory" (?) Usyk has not had a HW fight yet, ffs.

Well, traditionally it has been customary that the reigning champion of the division just below heavyweight (or any other really) has the right to challenge the heavyweight champion, if he wants. Especially if that champion is the only champion in the division, which in this case is cruiserweight. ;-)

Well, traditionally it has been customary that the reigning champion of the division just below heavyweight (or any other really) has the right to challenge the heavyweight champion, if he wants.

Nah thats a load of bollox, Boz my old mate. Never heard of anything like it in my life.

What gives Usyk the right to leapfrog all the other rankings ?

Heavyweight Rankings & Boxing Champions - Top 15 WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO

And where does he figure in the boxrec heavyweight ratings ? Nowhere.

http://boxrec.com/en/ratings?Mri%5Bcountry%5D=&Mri%5Bdivision%5D=Heavyweight&Mri%5Bsex%5D=M&Mri%5Bstance%5D=&Mri%5Bstatus%5D=a&r_go=

Nah thats a load of bollox, Boz my old mate. Never heard of anything like it in my life.

What gives Usyk the right to leapfrog all the other rankings ?

Heavyweight Rankings & Boxing Champions - Top 15 WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO

And where does he figure in the boxrec heavyweight ratings ? Nowhere.

http://boxrec.com/en/ratings?Mri%5Bcountry%5D=&Mri%5Bdivision%5D=Heavyweight&Mri%5Bsex%5D=M&Mri%5Bstance%5D=&Mri%5Bstatus%5D=a&r_go=

Seriously, never heard of it?? I don't know about newer time, but in the old days it was almost GIVEN that a light heavy world champion would eventually fight the heavy world champion-if he was big enough. Nowadays, we have the cruiser division, so that "honor" has gone to their champions. It's not a WRITTEN RULE or anything but it is a common practice.

Seriously, never heard of it?? I don't know about newer time, but in the old days it was almost GIVEN that a light heavy world champion would eventually fight the heavy world champion-if he was big enough. Nowadays, we have the cruiser division, so that "honor" has gone to their champions. It's not a WRITTEN RULE or anything but it is a common practice.

Boz, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't think of a single time this ever happened.

Can you cite a few examples?

Boz, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't think of a single time this ever happened.

I can think of two off hand but I know there have been more. This is not alien to me either, it's normal, that's what the sanctioning bodies do.

Terence Crawford, WBO champion at 140, mandatory for WBO champion Jeff Horn in first fight at 147.

Roman Gonzalez, WBC champion at 108, mandatory for WBC champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai in first fight at 112.

Saul Alvarez, WBA champion at 160, voluntary for WBA champion Rocky Fielding in first fight at 168. Although a voluntary defense for Fielding, the WBA had to move Alvarez into position in order that the fight could be sanctioned and they did so without any hesitation. And if Fielding didn't want to fight they probably would have made Alvarez mandatory.

Didn't David Haye pretty much get bumped up to a mandatory challenger for the WBA title when he had unfied cruiserweight and moved up to heavy??

I'm pretty sure existing champs do get some priorities if they move up in weight division, and I'm not that against it, especially if the division and that ABCs rankings are not up to much talent wise.

Still, it'd be bad business if he was to go after AJ after the Takam fight I feel. Would be good to face someone like Parker or Povetkin if he gets through Takam without issue. Then after that start to consider the "big 3" depending on their circumstances.

Bob Foster got to challenge both Ali and Frazier. Georges Carpentier challenged Dempsey while still a lhw champion. Also, Conteh was offered a chance to fight against Ali, for the title, while holding the WBC strap.

Bob Foster got to challenge both Ali and Frazier. Georges Carpentier challenged Dempsey while still a lhw champion. Also, Conteh was offered a chance to fight against Ali, for the title, while holding the WBC strap.

OK, but were they offered these fights, or were they automatically made the mandatory opponents? There's a big difference.

- Just asking.

Edited by Cableaddict

OK, but were they offered these fights, or were they automatically made the mandatory opponents? There's a big difference.

- Just asking.

I can't tell for sure but I know in the OLD DAYS, like, the 1930's, the lhw champions were ENTITLED to fighting for the hw title. IF they were big enough, of course.

No Breazeale is Wilder's mandatory challenger. Whyte is no.1 contender but after Wilder fulfills his obligations next month, he won't have to fight another mandatory until late next year.