Bivol vs Smith jr: the big lhw fight of the month!

BoztheMadman

This one should be interesting. It's boxing iq and power vs power and doggedness or tenacity. This weekend, Dmitry Bivol defends his WBA title and unbeaten record against the hungry Joe Smith jr, who suffered an unfortunate setback against Sullivan Barrera but is now back after one easy and quick blowout. Who wins? I got Bivol, but on points. Smith was only stopped once when he got a back injury. He's just a bit too strong and tough and if Pascal could go 12 with Bivol, then I think he definitely should be able to. Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Bivol vs Smith jr: the big lhw fight of the month!

This one should be interesting. It's boxing iq and power vs power and doggedness or tenacity. This weekend, Dmitry Bivol defends his WBA title and unbeaten record against the hungry Joe Smith jr, who suffered an unfortunate setback against Sullivan Barrera but is now back after one easy and quick blowout. Who wins? I got Bivol, but on points. Smith was only stopped once when he got a back injury. He's just a bit too strong and tough and if Pascal could go 12 with Bivol, then I think he definitely should be able to.

Spot on, Boz.

I really like Smith, & I think he's much more than the tough journeyman many fans think he is. However, Bivol has elite-level offense, even if it's somewhat limited in depth.

BUT DON'T COUNT SMITH OUT COMPLETELY:

If Bivol has a weakness, it's that he's not a good counterpuncher, and Smith is very strong & aggressive. Bivol also has a tendency to play it safe, and not expend a lot of energy n the first half of fights.

I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Smith come on strong n the early rounds, drive Bivol into the ropes, and take him out. I woudn't actually BET on this, but I'd say it's maybe 25 / 75.

-------------

I'll be rooting for Smith. Not just because he's an underdog, but because Bivol's team recently said that he's considering moving down to 168.

So heck, let Smith have the win. He's great for the sport, and it won't hurt Bivol's career when he moves down.

If anything, Bivol getting KO'd by Smith will actually HELP Bivol get top fights at 168, and oh baby are there good fights waiting for him there.

Interesting:

Knowing that Bivol's excellent jab could well be the story of this fight, I was curious to see which man has the reach advantage, but I can't find the stats. Neither has their reach listed on Boxrec. They are both 6'0" tall, with very similar builds. (narrow-sh shoulders)

I found Joe Smith listed as 73.5", on the "tale of the tape" for the Barerra fight, but I can't find Bivol's anywhere. It's like they want to keep it a secret, or something.

Smith's reach is barely average, so Bivol MIGHT have a slight advantage, which would be a huge factor in this particular fight. (Smith not being very good at backing up or using head slips.) Still, just looking at pics of Bivol, his arms actually look to be rather short.

Does anyone know?

Smith's chances suddenly look a lot better. I'd almost put the fight at 50-50.

This is the clarity I need for the wager on an early KO win for Bivol :haha:

I actually think he has held off on offense at times, to get rounds in, but when he opens up he's a fucking killer.

Spot on, Boz.

I really like Smith, & I think he's much more than the tough journeyman many fans think he is. However, Bivol has elite-level offense, even if it's somewhat limited in depth.

BUT DON'T COUNT SMITH OUT COMPLETELY:

If Bivol has a weakness, it's that he's not a good counterpuncher, and Smith is very strong & aggressive. Bivol also has a tendency to play it safe, and not expend a lot of energy n the first half of fights.

I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Smith come on strong n the early rounds, drive Bivol into the ropes, and take him out. I woudn't actually BET on this, but I'd say it's maybe 25 / 75.

-------------

I'll be rooting for Smith. Not just because he's an underdog, but because Bivol's team recently said that he's considering moving down to 168.

So heck, let Smith have the win. He's great for the sport, and it won't hurt Bivol's career when he moves down.

If anything, Bivol getting KO'd by Smith will actually HELP Bivol get top fights at 168, and oh baby are there good fights waiting for him there.

I definitely don't count out Smith, he's got a puncher's chance and is a capable guy no doubt. It's just that Bivol has been so impressive so far. But Smith might just be his toughest test yet-tomorrow will show. :boxing:

For some reason, a lot of white guys in boxing seem to have a small reach for their height. Examples are Bute, Michalczewski, Pavlik, Adamek, even Froch. Froch always looked rather long-armed to me but his reach is not so big. First two even have a smaller reach than their height. I haven't really seen a white fighter with a really big reach...well, Wladimir has a rather big reach but for his size and for a hw-not exceptionally big.

--- Boz, height and reach measurement on boxrec notoriously inaccurate.

Even weights can be wrong as commish or fighters themselves too often use trickery to make or even enhance their weight. Ali was forever listed as 80-81 reach, but after footage started appearing during the Wilt abc appearance to promote their fight, Dundee measured him at 78". For the longest time Lemieux was measured as a T-Rex 64". Now he has a normal reach. Most tales of the tapes you may see are often bogus as well.

For some reason, a lot of white guys in boxing seem to have a small reach for their height. ......

:faint: :nono: :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Although I won't touch that one with a 20 foot pole, it DOES finally give us a chance to use an oft-overlooked smiley:

:ghost:

:faint: :nono: :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Although I won't touch that one with a 20 foot pole, it DOES finally give us a chance to use an oft-overlooked smiley:

:ghost:

:lmao: Yeah, because you are an AMERICAN! Cough cough...:haha: ass-sensitive you all are about that stuff but it's all TECHNICAL. Biological, better said. ;-)

--- And speaking of stereotypes, this a decent card as you can review the weighin results here:

Boxing News: Bivol, Smith, LesPierre on weight, Hooker struggles >> March 9, 2019

This the prefight presser. Notice how impressively thick and muscly Joe's neck is compared to Bivol who looks like a schoolboy in comparison.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-18-at-6.39.41-PM-660x400.png

Edited by LondonRingRules

This the prefight presser. Notice how impressively thick and muscly Joe's neck is compared to Bivol who looks like a schoolboy in comparison.

Bigger target area for the school boy to take his head off!

---

Screen-Shot-2019-01-18-at-6.39.41-PM-660x400.png

Is it thicker?

Joe's head appears to be significantly smaller, so his neck looks bigger! (seriously. - At least in this particular pic.)

Also, look at Smith's jacket. The entire back of it, including at the top, is loose, which gives Smith the appearance of being much more muscular.

Granted, he IS more muscular, but the difference in reality isn't all the much.

--- Bivol in the seats watching countryman Kuzmin fight. Cool customer, but still sporting the remnants of a black eye from sparring.

Kuzmin doughy looking but smooth flowing for a big man. Dwjenko however spelled has a rt eye starting to bust up.

--- Callum blows out Monaghan in two but for the ref and his corner extending the fight into the 3rd. It was bloody, concussive, and terribly quick and totally unnecessary.

A few fights earlier aa experienced Latino Rojas was stretchered out to the hospital by a novice East Euro, so New York ain't coming across well as public relations go.