Sergey Kovalev rematch vs Eleider Alvarez

LondonRingRules

--- Sergey Kovalev rematch vs Eleider Alvarez this Saturday.

The leadup to the rematch indicated Kov was charged with felony assault and serious injury on a woman before the first fight, naturally bar related as rumors continue to swirl that he trains on liquor like Sonny Liston started doing after winning his title. Prob a factor in his loss.

Given he was BTFO outta Alv before the dramatic comeback KO, gonna have to pick Kov again as I don't think Alv can duplicate a one off shot. Should be a great fight.

Thought I created this thread before but couldn't find it amid the rest of the posts.

Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Sergey Kovalev rematch vs Eleider Alvarez

Weird. I can't decide who to root for.

Kovalev is an asshole, but deserves redemption for the Ward robberies.

Alvarez is exciting, but almost as old as Sergey, so it's not like he has a big future in the sport.

I guess I'll root for Sergey. When I think about near-future fights with guys like Browne & Beterbiev, I'd much rather see a puncher like him face them, than the more mobile / less powerful Alvarez.

I guess.

I know someone who had Alvarez ahead at the time of the stoppage and thinks Kovalev and Duva are delusional for saying the opposite lol, good to see more sane minds here. I'm not gonna pick Kovalev though in the rematch, I don't have confidence in his hunger and dedication, we all know you can't play boxing and I'm expecting Alvarez to have a better training camp than the challenger and to get the job done once again.

Alvarez by KO or TKO.

I know someone who had Alvarez ahead at the time of the stoppage and thinks Kovalev and Duva are delusional for saying the opposite lol, good to see more sane minds here. I'm not gonna pick Kovalev though in the rematch, I don't have confidence in his hunger and dedication, we all know you can't play boxing and I'm expecting Alvarez to have a better training camp than the challenger and to get the job done once again.

Alvarez by KO or TKO.

Agree with all of this. Sounds like the wheels have come off for Kov lately so I can't see him winning this. Think Alvarez' power maybe somewhat underrated too based off his record, but he did it first time round, and I don't think Kov will have the sharpness to avoid big shots a second time either.

We'll see but the oddsmakers don't price it very highly either.

Wow, what a performance by Sergey! Absolutely astounding.

I can't believe how much patience and control he showed, especially n the final round when he momentarily stunned Alvarez. And how ripped / conditioned he looked, as well. He appeared to be 10 years younger than in their last fight. (He's probably on "the good stuff", bu also great training.)

I would have loved to see THIS guy against Ward. (Not that Ward actually won either fight, of course.)

I know someone who had Alvarez ahead at the time of the stoppage and thinks Kovalev and Duva are delusional for saying the opposite lol, good to see more sane minds here.

Alvarez by KO or TKO.

All 3 judges had Kov ahead at the time of the stoppage in fight #1

Well I never.... Have I got egg on my face.

How TF did he pull that off? He's 35 years old has criminal charges pending, drinks quite heavily by most accounts, has 3 losses, a new trainer, arrived to a chorus of "boos" I've never ever heard before yet STILL he regains his title in an almost landslide victory against the previously undefeated champion. Credit to him, he took the centre of the ring immediately and the jab prettt ruled the day. He looked far too comfortable in terms of his stamina levels as he entered the final round, that's indicative of how inactive Alvarez was throughout, for someone who is making his first defence that performance was unsatisfactory.

Re: Teofimo fight. Anyone else agree the 7th shouldn't have taken place ?

No need for the showboating and reff should be suspended or banned.

Yeah that was horrible. I could see MAYBE letting the 7th start, if the ref had waned him in-between rounds to show something, but that kid was completely defenseless long before the final blow.

WTF with that ref?

Well I never.... Have I got egg on my face.

How TF did he pull that off? He's 35 years old has criminal charges pending, drinks quite heavily by most accounts, has 3 losses, a new trainer, arrived to a chorus of "boos" I've never ever heard before yet STILL he regains his title in an almost landslide victory against the previously undefeated champion. Credit to him, he took the centre of the ring immediately and the jab prettt ruled the day. He looked far too comfortable in terms of his stamina levels as he entered the final round, that's indicative of how inactive Alvarez was throughout, for someone who is making his first defence that performance was unsatisfactory.

I had written Kov off also. It was a great performance by Sergey and he certainly didn't look the fallen fighter that was being reported. His stock has risen again.

That said Alvarez simply didn't do enough. He'd start off well in some rounds, but then just stop. Kovalev stayed busy and focused and got the job done, but at periods he looked a bit spent in there. Luckily Alvarez wasn't pressing him so it wasn't an issue.

Horrible horrible reffing, and his corner should have thrown the towel in either.

Lopez looks a very decent and real prospect but I didn't like his antics when he'd won the fight, Steve Bunce was furious with the US commentary team for laughing and rightly so. Very unprofessional.

--- They were laughing at dunce as we all do.

Anyway, a masterpiece avenging of a dehibilating Ko loss by Kov. We know now just how big and solidly indestructible Alvarez is. If he learned how to box and use his substantial attributes, he could beat most anyone.

as to Kov, a couple more years could triple his scrawny Ward earning to retire in comfort. Few avenge such a concussive loss as he has.

Sergey-Kovalev-Eleider-Alvarez_Mikey-Williams-Top-Rank-1032x445.jpg

The Lopez fight was pretty unedifying all round. The ref should be suspended until further notice and the corner need to have a good long look at themselves. Bunce was bang on the button about the US commentary team. Magadaleno could have been seriously hurt and they laughed. Fucking disgraceful. Lastly Lopez needs to reign his neck in. It's not big and it's not clever.

Yup. I lost interest after the 5th round, and the 6th should've been the end. His corner should've thrown in the towel.

I didn't care for the homer swing, but i was ok with the dance and the backflip. Teofimo should learn tho, the highlight knockout speaks for itself, no need to rub it in. But he's 21, and he'll learn when he gets humbled in the ring.

Spectacular knockout tho.

... I didn't care for the homer swing, but i was ok with the dance and the backflip. Teofimo should learn tho, the highlight knockout speaks for itself, no need to rub it in. But he's 21, and he'll learn when he gets humbled in the ring.

I did't like it, either, but I'll give Lopez a pass, this one tme. His adrenaline was way up, he had just given a spectacular performance after probably months of hard training, and, well, he's young. We all do stupid stuff we regret later.

If he continues to act this way, then he gets filed n the same drawer as Broner, but I don't think he's there.

I'm also not sure he's a future superstar. He does look good, but not spectacular.

Let's see how he develops, but those antics at the end of the fight indicates a fighter who's very full of himself, believing in his own hype. We all know how THAT usually goes....