George Groves announces retirement from boxing

WSMFC64

skysports-george-groves-boxing_4399883.jpg?20180824173610

Former WBA super-middleweight champion George Groves has announced his retirement from boxing.

Groves (28-4-20KO) last fought against Callum Smith on September 28, 2018, losing his title to his British rival in the World Boxing Super Series final.

It was Groves' fourth professional defeat of his career, and although he insisted after that fight that it would not be his last, he has now called time on his boxing career.

In a statement on Instagram, Groves said: "After taking a little time to reflect on the recent events in my career, I have decided that it is time for me to retire as a professional fighter.

"In 2017, I boxed in front of a home crowd in Sheffield and became the WBA super-middleweight world champion. After four attempts I had finally fulfilled my childhood dream, and the experience was as great as I had always imagined it would be. It was, without doubt, the best moment of my career."

Groves became world champion at the fourth attempt when he beat Fedor Chudinov in Sheffield in 2017, and the 30-year-old suggested his decision was partly based on spending more time with his family.

"Some of you may think it's odd that I'm choosing to retire. I'm still young, still fit and healthy, and there are still some big fights out there for me.

"But it's for these reasons that I'm choosing to retire now. I have a young family at home and it's time to spend some of my better days with them.

"I don't want there to be a time where I'm 'too old' to box on, or where an injury retires me in or out of the ring.

"Over the years I have seen and sadly known the dangers of the sport, and I want to respectfully bow out while I'm at the top of my game.

"I've learned that doesn't always mean coming off the back of a win. I've boxed at the highest level, all over the world, I've been a champion and I'll be leaving the sport (relatively!) intact."

Sky Sports 28-01-2019 https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/11620317/george-groves-announces-retirement-from-boxing

Edited by WSMFC64

Re: George Groves announces retirement from boxing

--- Gorgeous George, puddin' & pie

Kissed all the girls as they started to cry

Stretched before 80,000 he did lay

Dreaming of future of another day

Alas, yet another KO did come

Enough said he as he fled for his mum

A quick little doggerel ditty

For all of George's Hello Kittys

N'er speak ill of the dead or the dying

Of those who fail for the sin of vying

Just a little sport by me

As he awaits his stupendous offer $oon to be

hello-kitty-clipart-free-clip-art-images.jpeg

Surprised by this news to be honest. Reminds me of when Jamie Moore retired, he had more to offer but retired too soon after losing a fight.

He's only 30-years-old, hes got more to offer and I think after some time away we might see the return of George Groves.

If he doesn't come back then he can be proud of the career that he has had.

Yes, some similarities, although george will have made way more money than JM.

A better than average career for a British fighter - was never truly 'World' level, even though he grabbed an abc belt. Plus I will never, ever, ever forgive him for letting Crotch off the hook and not finishing him off in the first fight. THAT is the ingredient he lacked to make him legit world level.

Think he's pretty sensible to bow out now, on his own terms. We discuss too frequently how fighters never seem to know when to call it quits, so he should be applauded for doing so imo.

He may very well come out of retirement at some point, but I don't think there will be demands to see him in the ring again tbf.

Think he's pretty sensible to bow out now, on his own terms. We discuss too frequently how fighters never seem to know when to call it quits, so he should be applauded for doing so imo.

Good call :thumb:

He said in an interview he never really recovered psychologically from the Gutknecht fight, so it's eminently sensible he does quit now - I never quite believed he was world class, but like so many others, he achieved much more than I thought he would after the Anderson fight. Perhaps now he and Froch can do some kind of light-hearted reminiscence show for Sky..