Do you want to see a Joshua-Whyte rematch?

The_budweiser

Promoter Eddie Hearn has ponied up more than £4 million to get Dillian Whyte 25-1 (18) in the ring with unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua 22-0 (21) for a rematch at Wembley Stadium in London on April 13.

That’s according to the Matchroom Boxing boss’s Twitter account, where he responded to questions about the potential match-up on Tuesday.

Both Whyte and Joshua are promoted by Hearn.

Dillian Whyte offered more than PS4 million to face Anthony Joshua - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Do you want to see a Joshua-Whyte rematch?

I actually do.

Whyte has clearly improved in several ways since their first fight.

Wilder & Fury are obviously tied-up, & possibly for the entire year. (trilogy)

Who else is there? "Big Maybe" Miller? Gimme a break.

Edited by Cableaddict

TBH I cant see AJ taking a Whyte rematch anytime soon, agree with Cable and others elsewhere in varying posts, Whyte has really improved and would be too dangerous a prospect. Although if he keeps improving will no doubt sooner or later become a mandatory.

I guess he has earned his shot, which I suppose is a pretty damning indictment of how poor the heavyweight division currently is. It's stagnant, with only Whyte having been the biggest "mover" in the 4 years since he fought AJ.

Parker got exposed, Fury took a break, Wilder is still the WBC holder. Povetkin and Ortiz are still mediocre 50 year olds. No one else has come along into the fold. It's totally shit!!

It might seem like a bit of a "risky" fight for AJ, Whyte has indeed improved since first time round, but the fans are starting to see Hearn for what he is now, and they won't put up with Joshua being put in with no hopers that no one gives a shit about. So Whyte is probably the only credible fight to be made right now.

Dillian Whyte has done all that's been asked of him. He's been pushed aside despite being No.1 with the WBC and winning eliminators. He's now positioned himself as WBO No.1. Yet, he's continued to take risky fights rather than sit and wait.

Wilder seems very unkeen to fight him and the WBC position is a mess - they've ordered Wilder vs Fury 2, while also having Dominic Breazeale (ranked 4th) as their mandatory. WBO mandatory defence doesn't have to be done till later in the year, though some speculate that Usyk might jump ahead of Whyte - which would be another blow to Dillian.

He deserves a shot and I'd love to see a rematch with Joshua, if Fury or Wilder are unavailable for April 13th at Wembley.

Agree with lots of what others say. I'd be fine with a Whyte rematch. The improvements and wins (and needle) make it worth seeing again (even if less attractive as other options). I was certain that the Whyte fight was always nearly nailed on for the 13th at Wembley, but it seems that negotiations haven't been as straightforward as all that.

I also wonder if the moves made by Fury and Wilder by fighting each other and growing their respective profiles in the US have made Hearn and team Joshua consider exposure in the States more of an urgency than they did before. That makes me think that the Miller fight is increasingly likely... problem with that theory is that Miller keeps on saying that there haven't been any talks.

Agree with lots of what others say. I'd be fine with a Whyte rematch. The improvements and wins (and needle) make it worth seeing again (even if less attractive as other options). I was certain that the Whyte fight was always nearly nailed on for the 13th at Wembley, but it seems that negotiations haven't been as straightforward as all that.

I also wonder if the moves made by Fury and Wilder by fighting each other and growing their respective profiles in the US have made Hearn and team Joshua consider exposure in the States more of an urgency than they did before. That makes me think that the Miller fight is increasingly likely... problem with that theory is that Miller keeps on saying that there haven't been any talks.

Great points, Gerald.

Just thought that, maybe, Tyson Fury is going for the highest bidder. It's common knowledge about the WBC 60/40 ordered split for a Wilder vs Fury rematch. Since that, Fury has been in contact with Hearn as Eddie had sent him an offer. Apparently, Fury wasn't interested in a split (in a Joshua fight) just wanted a figure. Maybe, Fury is seeing how much a Joshua fight is worth then using it for negotiations with Wilder's people. Whether PBC would want to match it is another thing.

Great points, Gerald.

Just thought that, maybe, Tyson Fury is going for the highest bidder. It's common knowledge about the WBC 60/40 ordered split for a Wilder vs Fury rematch. Since that, Fury has been in contact with Hearn as Eddie had sent him an offer. Apparently, Fury wasn't interested in a split (in a Joshua fight) just wanted a figure. Maybe, Fury is seeing how much a Joshua fight is worth then using it for negotiations with Wilder's people. Whether PBC would want to match it is another thing.

Yeah, that's an interesting take re: the Fury negotiations. That hadn't occurred to me - but you're right, it would explain asking for a flat fee.

Things will get really interesting if we somehow get to a purse bid for Fury-Wilder. Unlikely, but fascinating if it happens