Isaac Dogboe - thoughts on Saturday's fight?

WelshDevilRob

The very likeable and talented Isaac Dogboe was having a fantastic 2018. The Ghanaian Londoner had registered three wins - Cesar Juarez WTKO5th, Jessie Magdaleno WKO11th and Hidenori Otake WTKO1st. His impressive win over then-undefeated Magdaleno won him the WBO Super-Bantamweight title.

On Saturday, he fought Mexican Emanuel Navarrete (26-1, 22 KOs) and lost over 12 rounds, at MSG, New York. Was a decent fight and Navarrete was impressive. Dogboe (20-1, 14 KOs) seemed flat and lethargic, while his corner seemed poor. The US commentary, by ESPN, was brutal.

Both men tasted the canvas but the ref didn't count them. The knockdown of Navarette seemed legit, while the knockdown of Dogboe was down to his soaking wet corner, he shipped a full shot on the way down.

Navarrete hurt his hand during the middle rounds and had never boxed outside of Mexico. On the night he was a good few inches taller. Dogboe's face was beaten up and no idea how he made it to the final bell.

Isaac is only 24, do you think he can come back? What do you think of Emanuel Navarrete?

Re: Isaac Dogboe - thoughts on Saturday's fight?

I just watched it, I thought it was a close fight, my card mirrored that of one of the judges in the end but I enjoyed the fight more than the main event, good action throughout. If the knockdown is called a knockdown in Dogboe's favour he still would have lost though so that's why there probably won't be too much outrage that it wasn't called but it certainly should have been.

Sure Dogboe can come again, he put up a spirited effort and tried until the end, true champion's heart he showed but when you can barely see against a Mexican that's more than a problem. I thought Navarrete gave up his advantages too much but then that's what made it what it was, action-packed. Congratulations to him he got the job done, he came and took it from the champ, can't say fairer than that.

--- Didn't see the fight, but the buildup was like a Dogboe coronation, so could be the hype took the needed edge off him.

Both fighters could still make a big splash to grab some cash.

Dogboe and his happy celebrations have captured the imagination. Maybe, he's been enjoying the accolades too much, though looked in Great shape. His Dad trains and spars him plus a couple of cousins. Needs proper sparring rather than these guys. The corner was like a river on the mat.

Dogboe has power but a true fighter like they make in Ghana - TTG. Needs a better trainer/corner.

I just watched it, I thought it was a close fight, my card mirrored that of one of the judges in the end but I enjoyed the fight more than the main event, good action throughout. If the knockdown is called a knockdown in Dogboe's favour he still would have lost though so that's why there probably won't be too much outrage that it wasn't called but it certainly should have been.

Sure Dogboe can come again, he put up a spirited effort and tried until the end, true champion's heart he showed but when you can barely see against a Mexican that's more than a problem. I thought Navarrete gave up his advantages too much but then that's what made it what it was, action-packed. Congratulations to him he got the job done, he came and took it from the champ, can't say fairer than that.

Good post, mate. No probs with the scoring. Navarette looks like he could be very good. Dogboe needs to figure out the problems.