Wilder vs Fury - this weekend - Who Wins?

WelshDevilRob

Re: Wilder vs Fury - this weekend - Who Wins?

Collaborative fight analysis on Fight Score shows Fury a clear winner, 112-114, which was how I had my scorecard, as posted in the Scorecards Sticky thread.

Interestingly the only universal rounds scored for Wilder where the 2 in which he scored knockdowns, while Fury universally won rounds 5, 6, 7, 8 & 10.

See the round by round breakdown here

I was surprised how much success Fury was getting in the fight. To be honest I forgot how good his defence is and it’s underrated.

Fury had lots of tricks, combinations and he looked like the only fighter with a game plan. Wilder just kept trying to load up with the same shots over and over that Fury could read with ease although he got caught with two big shots that put him on his back side.

If Wilder had some more self-belief in the fight he actually might of stopped Fury or took control of the fight early on.

What was with the ref making Fury walk half the ring, before letting the fight continue – was he looking for a reason to stop the fight? Got to give him credit as he could of easily and prematurely stopped the fight in round 12.

Maybe I’m being picky but that was an illegal shot by Wilder with the twelve round 12 knockdown, you aren’t allowed to hit an opponent on his way down although there seldom given by a ref.

I struggled to give anything to Wilder in that fight. I was that convinced Fury won the fight, I came straight onto the forum and didn't wait for the fight result to read your comments and go WOW WHAT THE FUCK?

What an ass-fuckingly stupid fight plan he had. Almost no jab. No body work. No straight right hand.

And what's with Jay Deas? In the final rounds, he didn't even tell Wilder he was way behind. Wilder literally coasted through the final 20 seconds, when without question he had lost the fight.

Inclined to agree that, just like Klitschko against Fury, he seemed too bamboozled or reluctant to throw, or even set up his power shots.

That final round, following the knockdown was a shocker for Wilder. Why didn't he go after him to finish it? He didn't look knackered or anything. Very bizarre, should have realised he pretty much needed the KO.

I was surprised how much success Fury was getting in the fight. To be honest I forgot how good his defence is and it’s underrated.

Fury had lots of tricks, combinations and he looked like the only fighter with a game plan. Wilder just kept trying to load up with the same shots over and over that Fury could read with ease although he got caught with two big shots that put him on his back side.

If Wilder had some more self-belief in the fight he actually might of stopped Fury or took control of the fight early on.

What was with the ref making Fury walk half the ring, before letting the fight continue – was he looking for a reason to stop the fight? Got to give him credit as he could of easily and prematurely stopped the fight in round 12.

Maybe I’m being picky but that was an illegal shot by Wilder with the twelve round 12 knockdown, you aren’t allowed to hit an opponent on his way down although there seldom given by a ref.

I struggled to give anything to Wilder in that fight. I was that convinced Fury won the fight, I came straight onto the forum and didn't wait for the fight result to read your comments and go WOW WHAT THE FUCK?

I'm not sure Fury is this Ali-like slickster to be honest. He did a lot of that jerky movement which seemed to just put Wilder off from throwing any kind of set up shots. He at least threw SOMETHING unlike Klitschko, but the lack of urgency, or sense that he was behind was alarming.

Opposite to your thoughts I think the ref was giving Fury EVERY chance to see out the round. He got quite a bit of time to get to his feet and THEN do the walk thing the refs insist on.Was 20-30 seconds probably, and Wilder just didn't sense to follow it up. Bizarre.

As for the shots that put him down I didn't see anything wrong there. It was a combination he landed, the first shot alone might have put Fury down, but you see the follow up shots land often, and it's not like he was down on a knee and Wilder has launched a ridiculous powershot, which you see often!

Punches ARE allowed on the way down if the fighter on the way down isnt touching the canvas with anything other than his feet! Wilder did nothing wrong.

Entertaining fight but both guys revealed their limitations. Wilder is a one-dimensional slugger with a poor defence and Fury can't punch.

Punches ARE allowed on the way down if the fighter on the way down isnt touching the canvas with anything other than his feet! Wilder did nothing wrong.

Entertaining fight but both guys revealed their limitations. Wilder is a one-dimensional slugger with a poor defence and Fury can't punch.

On phone but not checked WBC rules but having checked British rules in the past I know you're not allowed to hit an opponent on the way down.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

--- Never heard of that rule before in any jurisdiction.

Moreover, Tyson ain't complaining about it. Don't like Deyonce a single bit, but fighters these days are being held to artificial rules already. Starting a combination that takes less than 2 seconds to completion should never be held against a fighter. Otherwise, we might as well move to tiddlywinks.

I've never heard of such a rule, either,

but the BBofC does tend to have their own odd way of looking at things. (Which changes to suit the need, such as ref's counting you out at "9 1/2".)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm now waiting for Gav to weigh in on the fight.

He's never gonna' let me hear the end of THIS one! :lol:

A bit late here, just finished watching the fight, well... my prediction was Wilder by KO or TKO, I said I'd have to re-evaluate my life if Fury won, he came away with a draw but he was indeed robbed in Los Angeles last night. He won that fight clearly, I have to give full credit to Fury, he didn't get that from me after the Klitschko win, I wasn't satisfied with how he challenged for the title that night but he took it from Wilder yesterday and didn't get the decision.

The only thing I will say though is that Fury was fortunate that Reiss was in the mddle because Foster, Willis, Gray, Bayless (and others) all wave that off at the 5 count. I thought Fury was unconscious when Wilder walked away back to the neutral, disappointed in Wilder's performance, the reliance on the big right became disproportionate as the rounds went by, I'd still pick Wilder in a rematch however because he is without doubt the most devastating puncher in world boxing.

But for that last round KD the belt would have changed hands, its an unsatisfactory ending and the rematch must happen but if Fury didn't go into it immediately I wouldn't hold it against him. Wilder should have made short work of Fury, he had no right to be in there with Wilder given what preceded the fight. When he came out for the first bell the first shot he landed was to Fury's body and I thought to myself he'll keep doing that and then take him out in the middle rounds. I couldn't tell you when he landed the next one downstairs, not nearly enough work down there and it's a pity because he was very fleshy around the midrift.

Fury is the only one walking away with his head held up here, I hold my hands up, I got it wrong.

Edited by Undefeated

Wilder's gonna' take the big dufus out in 2-3 rounds. 5 on the outside.

Fury can dance all he wants, but he was wide open many times against Wlad, and he'll again be wide open against Wilder.

The difference is, Wilder closes distance much faster than Wlad ever did. - MUCH faster.

And Wilder has a great uppercut, and a "passable" overall inside game. Wlad had no inside game at all.

Plus, Wilder won't be laying down the way Wlad did. He's not looking for an easy trilogy to end his career.

Anyone who genuinely thinks Fury has a decent chance should probably find another sport to watch.

Curling, maybe. Or women's synchronized swimming.

So what are you going for, Curling or Woman's synchronised swimming??

Had a decent bet on Wilder due to thinking Tyson was shot, then while the Hurd fight was on decided to put another £150 on Wilder to win by KO/DSQ/Stoppage but a strange thing happened, I decided to put 130 on and put 20 on the draw @40.0 kerrrrchinngggg, I had Fury 4 rounds up going into the last but and thought there's no way he can be screwed here but as soon as they said split decision I done a little dance as I new he was getting screwed and Wilder wasn't getting the W.

Fury was class and Wilder just showed what a crap boxer he is, anyways now we're going to get the biggest Battle of Britain ever seen in a British ring, who ya got??

So what are you going for, Curling or Woman's synchronised swimming??

You completely missed my point. (See, I can get out of this!)

I said "Anyone who thinks..." as in, before the fight, And I stand by that statement. Probably 95% of all the industry pros predicted a Wilder KO.

Of course, women's synchronized swimming is pretty hot. :haha:

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Ring poll of ""experts"" so expert they earn peanuts on the dollar of what they could earn winning the weekly jackpot picked Wilder by a 13-8-1 margin.

So plenty gave Fury a chance in spite of being the away fighter reffed by a known dirty official. I considered it a battle of the unknowns given the shaky nature of Wilders career and Furys last 3 yrs, and lucky me, I was right, but who wins the rematch?

Stay tuned for upcoming developments, but guaranteed Fury could earn 3x what he earned this fight against Josh.

Edited by LondonRingRules

5 of these seven ex champs picked Wilder, with 2 refusing to pick. None chose Fury:

Jeff Mayweather did his thing a few weeks ago. Out of maybe 20 guys he talked with, only one picked Fury.

Radio Raheem - same, in fact I don't think ANY of his picked Fury.

Who are all these "experts" the Ring polled? CJ Ross? Adelaide Byrd? Dwyer?

REGARDING THE 9th round KD, and some complaining about it being a rabbit punch:

First, there were two of them, but as I wrote earlier, they were clearly accidental, due to Fury's movement. It could rightly have been called "not a KD", and Fury given 5 minutes, but no way was it a foul.

BUT IN FACT: looking at it again, Fury actually ducked illegally low. The rules clearly state you can't duck your head below your opponent's belt line. (for this very reason) Well, take a look yourself. He did it twice in succession. He probably did it the whole fight, but I don't have time right now to check.

--------------------

This only slightly diminishes Fury’s accomplishment, and I’m still blown away by it, but this DOES, in fact, tarnish it a bit.

It’s too bad the ref didn’t enforce this rule. Fury would have eventually lost a point for sure.

Wait - then Fury would have lost the fight, and here I am all happy that Wilder got exposed. (Which was a strange enough feeling already.)

I’m REALLY confused now ….. :rant: :noidea:

Edited by Cableaddict

REGARDING THE 9th round KD, and some complaining about it being a rabbit punch:

First, there were two of them, but as I wrote earlier, they were clearly accidental, due to Fury's movement. It could rightly have been called "not a KD", and Fury given 5 minutes, but no way was it a foul.

BUT IN FACT: looking at it again, Fury actually ducked illegally low. The rules clearly state you can't duck your head below your opponent's belt line. (for this very reason) Well, take a look yourself. He did it twice in succession. He probably did it the whole fight, but I don't have time right now to check.

--------------------

This only slightly diminishes Fury’s accomplishment, and I’m still blown away by it, but this DOES, in fact, tarnish it a bit.

It’s too bad the ref didn’t enforce this rule. Fury would have eventually lost a point for sure.

Wait - then Fury would have lost the fight, and here I am all happy that Wilder got exposed. (Which was a strange enough feeling already.)

I’m REALLY confused now ….. :rant: :noidea:

Let it go lad!!

I had Wilder to win by stoppage beforehand, and it was realistically the one outcome most people would have expected, as did the bookmakers. All the factors indicated this.

Fury stunned everybody this weekend!

I am most impressed with his immediate response to the result. He didn't start acting up like a dickhead as I would have expected, he was full of credit and adulation to Wilder and to the fans etc. He showed real class, which is the last thing I ever thought I would credit Fury for.

Boxing won AND lost this weekend.

We got a great, dramatic fight. A great sporting comeback from against the odds by Fury. Wilder proving yet again how devastating his power is. And then we got the disgraceful scorecard to ruin things, as boxing so often does to itself.

Stayed up and enjoyed the whole card and it looked a fantastic atmosphere in the Staples Centre. Had a double bet on Gvozdyk/Wilder wins. Thought Adonis old and fades; Wilder will land and too early for Fury.

The fight was engrossing rather than exciting apart from the dramatic later rounds. The punches landed was very low. Wilder's accuracy was terrible. Referee Jack Reiss did a great job and I like his no-nonsense style.

Fury looked unsure of himself early on - understandable. Wilder took too long to get going. Once Fury gained confidence he fought well to his gameplan. Huge credit to Fury getting up when floored, kinda reminded me of Holmes against Shavers.

I thought Fury won but only just, a draw not the worst result I've seen tbh. There was just too little landing in a lot of the rounds. A Heavyweight Draw controversy brings the focus on boxing, which the promoters know and makes a rematch much bigger. It helps the fight crossover. Proving it was a fix is the hard part.

--- Two ways to look at the fight:

1. Getting KDed twice as the away fighter and securing a draw is generally considered a favorable result for that fighter.

2. Getting KDed twice as the away fighter to secure the support of the home fans as the winner is always considered a favorable result for that fighter.

Here Big John weighs in with some highly animated expression after having doubts Tyson was ready for such a step up. Pretty much kudos to all with nary a reference to "Any man born of his Mother" schlop as is his typical style. In short, he was amazed, astounded, and flabbergasted by the fight from afar in the UK since he's not allowed a visa to be part of the training camp as he is accustomed.