Duco Events introduce compulsory pre-fight MRI scans.

Cableaddict

Re: Duco Events introduce compulsory pre-fight MRI scans.

--- MRIs should only implemented when there is a serious medical Question.

This program is like drug testing run by boxing hacks, just a feel good self promotional program that does nothing to help the fighters, and in fact endangers their well being.

--- I was in a chamber for a scam of my cervical vertebrae, and you could feel the power needed to peer the beast.

Didnt like it a bit and no self respecting doc is gonna order one dozens of times because nobody wants to submit to research such nonsense. End of the day fighter gets a scan clearing him and then the ref or corner butchers jobs and boom, Colon Pritchard all over again. Scans are expensive and add yet another suck on the modest and meager purses most fighters make.

How about multi scans on idiot refs and officials who have a strong claim to being brain damaged?

Aint gonna happen save for dubious duco promotions who won't have any fighters left to scan!

I have had the last 8 mths of my life in MRI scanners. And my terminally ill daughter has had the last 3 years involved with them. Most of the 'top' pros fight twice a year. If it was CT scans I would agree but theres no danger from 2 MRI scans. And I would imagine it will only be for a head scan anywa,y not a full body scan. There would be no time to interpret the results before the fights otherwise.

Brilliant idea, and welcome. There are no known side effects of MRI scanning. Does not use X-Rays like CT scanning.

--- I was in a chamber for a scam of my cervical vertebrae, and you could feel the power needed to peer the beast.

Didnt like it a bit and no self respecting doc is gonna order one dozens of times because nobody wants to submit to research such nonsense. End of the day fighter gets a scan clearing him and then the ref or corner butchers jobs and boom, Colon Pritchard all over again. Scans are expensive and add yet another suck on the modest and meager purses most fighters make.

How about multi scans on idiot refs and officials who have a strong claim to being brain damaged?

Aint gonna happen save for dubious duco promotions who won't have any fighters left to scan!

I have had the last 8 mths of my life in MRI scanners. And my terminally ill daughter has had the last 3 years involved with them. Most of the 'top' pros fight twice a year. If it was CT scans I would agree but theres no danger from 2 MRI scans. And I would imagine it will only be for a head scan anywa,y not a full body scan. There would be no time to interpret the results before the fights otherwise.

Have to agree with Sel here there really is no downside. As long as they are not taking uo resources for seriously sick people, it sounds like the promoter will foot the bill. Not sure how it would work here in the UK though.

I have had the last 8 mths of my life in MRI scanners. And my terminally ill daughter has had the last 3 years involved with them.

Most of the 'top' pros fight twice a year. If it was CT scans I would agree but theres no danger from 2 MRI scans. And I would imagine it will only be for a head scan anywa,y not a full body scan. There would be no time to interpret the results before the fights otherwise.

Wow, that's horrible beyond words, Selij. Don't even know what to say.

I certainly wish for the best, whatever that can be.

Man .....

Thanks cable. And I dont mind talking about it - it helps. And sometimes when I get wrapped up in my own pity I have to realise its not about me at all. She is the bravest one of us all.

• 2 weeks later...

Successful amateur Richie Hadlow failed the pre-fight MRI evaluation and won't make his professional debut.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2018/12/parker-vs-flores-richie-hadlow-withdrawn-from-undercard-with-brain-injury.html

Good job by Duco Events. The procedure should be a standard in pro boxing. It surely wouldn't prevent all the injuries, but any minimazation of the risk is worth it.

Thanks cable. And I dont mind talking about it - it helps. And sometimes when I get wrapped up in my own pity I have to realise its not about me at all. She is the bravest one of us all.

Sel?? :( What...so that is why you have been not quite yourself always lately. What can I say mate. There are no words. Hang in there old buddy, hang in. :hug:

--- I was in a chamber for a scam of my cervical vertebrae, and you could feel the power needed to peer the beast. Didnt like it a bit and no self respecting doc is gonna order one dozens of times because nobody wants to submit to research such nonsense.

There's plenty of research on the effects of MRI - there basically aren't any unless they inject you with a contrast agent and you're allergic - you run more risk in the hospital canteen given the state of US food regulations. You've a bit of a problem when the weekly mass shooting occurs and you're sitting inside a giant magnet, I suppose.

I imagine the promoters will be happy to pay for it as it will reduce their insurance and potential liability by orders of magnitude.

Edited by gavpowell

--- Well, didn't help Stevenson who passed a complete medical including MRI before collapsing after his last fight.

I could go with a once a year MRI with complete medical, but a weakness in Stevensons med is that while testing for HIV, no reported testing for hepatitis that is prob more easily transmitted given the greater number of infectors.

In short, boxing and other physical sports have always had an element of risk.

I imagine the promoters will be happy to pay for it as it will reduce their insurance and potential liability by orders of magnitude.

That's a good point I hadn't really thought of. Though I'd have no idea on the costs of both the scans themselves, and then the insurances / possible savings on insurance with these scans in place.

--- Well, didn't help Stevenson who passed a complete medical including MRI before collapsing after his last fight.

No, and you can't eliminate all risks, but you can pick up abnormalities that make someone completely unsuitable for fighting. I don't see a problem with trying to reduce the risks, so long as everyone understands the risks they run.