Spence vs Mikey Garcia

LondonRingRules

Re: Spence vs Mikey Garcia

Victor Conte @VictorConte

My understanding is that there was a genuine push for @vada_testing for this @mikeygarcia & @errolspencejr fight & it was denied by the A side. Go figure. Boxing deserves leadership that supports clean sport & especially in these more challenging type fight cases.

**No vada testing for this fight. Comments guys ?

And in other news Lady Lara resigns...

In a statement, the World Boxing Council (WBC) confirmed the removal of Lara from their ratings and revealed the move had been issued by Lara’s manager on his fighter’s behalf.

“Cuban boxer Erislandy Lara, currently ranked number two at super-welterweight by the World Boxing Council, has asked through his representative, Luis de Cubas Jr, to be removed from the Clean Boxing Program of the WBC. “This is the first time that a boxer has resigned from the Program.

And in further news:

IBO cruiserweight champion Kevin Lerena says his wife’s medication could be to blame for a failed VADA drug test on October 18 in Johannesburg.

:mlol:

The WBC announced on Twitter today that Lerena, 21-1 (9), had tested positive, which potentially scuppers plans for the South African to defend his fringe title in March.

“BREAKING NEWS: Boxer Kevin Lerena tested positive in a test by @Vada_Testing done in October 18, in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Clean Boxing Program protocol will now begin.”

Lerena, however, recovering from a July shoulder operation, flatly denies taking performance-enhancing drugs and believes his wife’s medication, which includes the metabolite identified in the positive test, and which he may have mistakenly ingested, could hold all the answers.

Like I said LRR, they all juicing dude. They all juicing.

• 1 month later...

Maybe time for a split, along the bodybuilding lines. 'Pro boxer' and 'Natural boxer.'

At least there would be two level playing fields then. As I have said many times, they're all juicing, some get caught some dont. Even though its elementary chemistry to not get caught, some still get caught using 1980/90's gear whose chemical footprints have been documented for 40 years or more.The list of boxing PED 'cheats' is a mile long. This list just scratches the surface and is not exhaustive:

Category:Doping cases in boxing - Wikipedia

Many also quote RJJ as the prime example of boxing authorities turning a blind eye to PED use, but the facts of the case are both him AND Hall tested positive after the fight. RJJ was 6x over and Hall was 10x over limit - this rarely gets mentioned though.

--- Rarely got mentioned because the testing authority and commish were clowns with no testing protocols, no rules, and too stupid to for timely analysis and follow up not to mention zip transparancy, the biggest bugaboo in boxing officiating and drug testing today.

Both Hall and Roy claimed to be using a legal over the counter supplement, so is that cheating too? Moreover, if, a big if if they were cheating, so is offset cheating really cheating? That was many moons ago, and the testing drug cartels have done little to improve their sordid reputations, and in fact may be seen in a lesser light.

• 2 months later...

--- Coming up like a freight train gathering speed at an outlet near you, Mikey and Spence may be setting a Jerry World boxing attendence record.

Ring with 3 seperate articles just today, aDavid

and Goliath Matchup of two P4Pers. Mikey has closed camp after gaining as yet measured pounds for his Welter debut is tapering off with light shadow boxing and excercise while fine tuning his game plan.

Poor Spence stuck in his losing wt groove knowing if he wins he loses respect, and in losing loses respect, so that has to weigh on him. How will the fight play out? I'd suggest Spence jumps on the first opening to bumrush Mikey before he gets a rhythm, and if failing that adopts a classic Klitschko big man fight strategy to box tall at a distance.

Who you picking?

Walkover, non event. Easiest fight of the year to call.

Altho, I have long complained to anyone who'll listen that I'm sick to death of promoters, streaming services and coaches telling the fighters who they are fighting (once or twice a year) and hark back to the 'old days' when it was the other way round and the boxers told the managers who they were fighting every couple of months or so...

Seems like this is a throwback where Garcia has a perceived beef with Spence Jr and wants a playground fight.

Yeah, the expected outcome is pretty obvious.

I think Mikey will make it an exciting fight, while it lasts, but he just doesn't have the power at 147 to stop Spence, he doesn't have the defensive footwork to stay safe, and he has a 4" reach disadvantage to boot. His best (only) chance is to attack Spence's body, but Spence is one of the best body punchers in the sport, so how's THAT gonna' work out?

I love rooting for the underdog, but 'cmon already.

It's going to be like a freight train hitting a land Rover. When the smoke clears, which one do you think will still be on the tracks?

Edited by Cableaddict

I'm really routing for Garcia though I really like both guys. It's only really meaningful if he manages to pull off the upset. Gotta say his talent is there to be able to try and overcome all the odds. But Spence is a top notch operater too clearly.

Logic dictates a good big man beats a good small man. Fair play for Garcia for taking this risk and an attempt at greatness though.

I'm still massively intrigued. It's being shown on ITV4 for free for UK fight fans, which is great. I'm definitely going to stay up for this one.

--- My guess is Mikey will keep as close as able to keep the action inside to negate as much power as he can. He's most open to power shots at distance.

If he keeps it close he might end up making Spence go in reverse for some punching space. That might look like Spence is running from the smaller fighter. I'm also thinking how Duran managed to carry a lead on the cards after 12 rds with Hagler that forced Marv in a furious rally the last 3 rds that pulled out the fight for him. Most were giving Duran no chance before the first bell, so sometimes the herding instinct to gather around the obvious can betray people, so yeah, on paper it's all Spence, but Mikey ain't gonna be reading no damn paper, so I won't discount his chances no matter how slim they may look.

and 50,000 bouncing off the roof in Jerry's world may well have some say so too!!! This fight could well set the stage for more big stadium fights. Only wish I could afford to be there with the media to see it first hand.

Agree with how a lot of others here (and elsewhere) are viewing this fight. I just can't see past the strength and size of Spence given his own skill set and ability to box, grind to the body, and absorb a good shot. Spence doesn't seem to have an glaring weaknesses and is sufficiently well-rounded that it's hard to see a Garcia game plan that successfully takes away the limited things he does well.

I'm enjoying hearing some of the commentary in recent weeks talking up Garcia's chances (Atlas and Kim have both said they can see an upset) because it makes what felt like a straightforward mismatch feel more competitive than it ought to be. I actually expect Garcia to be competitive for the first part of the fight, but I can't see him doing enough over the course of the fight against a world class, well-rounded, strong and robust competitor like Spence. I hope both acquit themselves well and we get a compelling contest.

Hopefully the fight raises Spence's profile and any success Garcia has gives other welterweights the desire to take a potentially lucrative and, in their view, winnable fight with Spence. Similarly, I hope that Garcia manages to perform in a way that raises his stock. I believe him when he claims he has a newfound ambition to be great and create a lasting legacy - hopefully even in defeat (which I expect) he can enhance that legacy and remain in the running for some more significant fights down the road.

I actually expect Garcia to be competitive for the first part of the fight, but I can't see him doing enough over the course of the fight against a world class, well-rounded, strong and robust competitor like Spence. I hope both acquit themselves well and we get a compelling contest.

Hopefully the fight raises Spence's profile and any success Garcia has gives other welterweights the desire to take a potentially lucrative and, in their view, winnable fight with Spence. Similarly, I hope that Garcia manages to perform in a way that raises his stock. I believe him when he claims he has a newfound ambition to be great and create a lasting legacy - hopefully even in defeat (which I expect) he can enhance that legacy and remain in the running for some more significant fights down the road.

Good post my man! :thumb: Agree with every word.

--- We know Spence will be coming in neat 147, but what's the bulked up Mikey coming in at?

I wanna say Mannyweight, say 144, but could be Vic's got him at the limit too, so what about their fight weights? Saturday morning has a 10 Lb gain limit, but the next 12 hours after that, the sky is the limit. Gonna say Spence at 165 and Mikey at 149.

--- Mikey 145.5 and Spence 146.25, only 3/4 lb apart and Mikey looks bigger!

May recognize a longtime boxing mainstay between them. I'm more swinging to a great fight than I was as by far Mikey the best boxer spence has fought. Alas, not on DAZN...

Boxing News: Spence, Garcia make weight >> March 15, 2019

Going with Spence but give Garcia a lot of credit for pushing for this fight. Some moaned that Mikey was avoiding a Loma clash but that could still happen. Garcia has been very well paid, before, so must be getting a lot for this bout. Maybe he, and his team, feel they have Spence's number?

--- Interesting this Ring article in that Michael Montero seems to be in their writing stable, and perhaps just a typo, but clearly states Mikey weighed in 16 lbs more than his highest weight ever that would take him back to 130 Lbs , prob being that his last four fights were at lightweight or jrwelt meaning he's 6 lbs over his highest career weight.

Have to wonder how many wagers will be placed on this disinformation. Will he edit the piece? We shall see, but for now it's etched on the internet.

Watch: Spence-Garcia weigh-in, Mikey feels the love in Texas - The Ring

Garcia weighed 152 pounds Saturday morning at the IBF’s second-day weigh-in, just three-plus pounds less than Spence, who weighed 155.5 pounds. The IBF’s rule for title fights it sanctions prohibits champions and challengers from adding more than 10 pounds above the weight limit for a given division. Neither Spence nor Garcia were allowed to weigh more than 157 pounds Saturday morning.

So maybe Mikey will be slower than usual.

I can't see how just "being heavier" is ever an advantage.

Of course, Spence really drains himself to make 147, but he's used to it, so there's no reason to expect him to be any different than in other fights where he actually made weight.

--- In a battle of the jiggly titties, Chris Arreola slapped down the local favorite and make a hard return to the heavyweight scene.

Young Benavidez coming off a title strippage and suspension further dismantled TUE Promotions when he blasted Love back to Venus. Should be real close to main event kickoff...