Oleksandr Usyk vs Tony Bellew

Undefeated

And STILL...

Oleksandr Usyk defeats Tony Bellew in Manchester with an 8th round KO.

Good start from Bellew but Usyk stuck with it and got him out of there in the end.

Wasn't expecting a KO win for Usyk but he finds the punch and improves to 16-0.

What did you think of the fight? And where next for Usyk?

Re: Oleksandr Usyk vs Tony Bellew

--- Made my Daz debut on my laptop since my iPhone wouldn't load.

Broadcast was freezy and rebooted mid rd, but legible, hopefully improving with use.

Usyk fought the most unimpressive impressive fight I recall. he skeeters around throwing out a lot of paper cuts, but that finish combo was lightning without looking like much, yet hit the perfect sweet spot.

Everything about the guy suggests an alien among us!

Usyk fought the most unimpressive impressive fight I recall. he skeeters around throwing out a lot of paper cuts, but that finish combo was lightning without looking like much, yet hit the perfect sweet spot.

I have to agree, that wasn't a USYK I've seen before, usually though (in his defence) a 15 fight novice would be given the benefit of the doubt and not be judged too harshly but I guess also that most 15 fight novices haven't captured Olympic Gold and cleaned out their division.

Although a competitive fight, i think some of the judges should be drug tested. I had Usyk pulling away by a few points at the time of the stoppage.

I had Usyk up by 1 so that's us two at least with the champ ahead at the end of the 7th yet none of the three judges had Usyk in the lead. Bellew thought he was behind too according to what he said in the post fight interview, he'll be even more gutted now that he knows otherwise.

I had Usyk up by 1 so that's us two at least with the champ ahead at the end of the 7th yet none of the three judges had Usyk in the lead. Bellew thought he was behind too according to what he said in the post fight interview, he'll be even more gutted now that he knows otherwise.

I gave Bellew the first 4 rounds, and also the sixth, but they were all close. A classic case of rounds being determined by HOW you score.

There was also no doubt that by the end of the sixth, Usyk had found the timing, and Bellew's chances started to look very bad.

I thought the stoppage was complete bullshit: Bellew had immediately gotten to his knees, and the ref never even looked into his face. That's just flat out bullshit. At the same time, the end was likely near, but this is the guy who got up off the canvas to beat Makabu !

Well, that's boxing.

I thought the stoppage was complete bullshit: Bellew had immediately gotten to his knees, and the ref never even looked into his face. That's just flat out bullshit. At the same time, the end was likely near, but this is the guy who got up off the canvas to beat Makabu !

The end was already there - he was having to use the ropes to get back to his feet, clearly in no position to continue and was completely out of it. His post-fight interview was illustrative - he had no idea what round it was, no idea what punch it was, kept repeating himself in rambling praise of Usyk, didn't realise the crowd was booing Hearn even though he'd just said his name...

Edited by gavpowell

I gave Bellew the first 4 rounds, and also the sixth, but they were all close. A classic case of rounds being determined by HOW you score.

There was also no doubt that by the end of the sixth, Usyk had found the timing, and Bellew's chances started to look very bad.

Well, that's boxing.

Fucking hell Cable!! It was his retirement fight, did you want him to leave the ring paralysed? He didn't have a clue what fucking universe he was in! :haha:

Fucking hell Cable!! It was his retirement fight, did you want him to leave the ring paralysed? He didn't have a clue what fucking universe he was in! :haha:

Doesn't matter. No one knew that until a bit later.

The rules state that the ref has to assess the fighters condition. You can't just wave it off without looking into his eyes. - Especially when it's a guy that got up & won after being floored by Makabu.

Doesn't matter. No one knew that until a bit later.

The rules state that the ref has to assess the fighters condition. You can't just wave it off without looking into his eyes. - Especially when it's a guy that got up & won after being floored by Makabu.

Guess the ref didn't look closely enough. Bellew was ready to go to war!!

DrvWXiaWsAANwRt.jpg

:haha:

--- Depends on his presumably new training regimen.

Hes already at weight, but does he want to add on? What was his Fightweight, 215? Looks like he could carry 225-230 easy, but no matter, he'll beat the lowers, but the top 5s is where the ??? are. Of them I suggest Deyonce would be the easiest because he has near zero skills and tends to take long beatings by TBAs.

Yeah, and I was looking at Bellew as soon as he was clocked, eyes rolled back and dropped like a rock, the literal sharpest ko I've seen in a while...

It was an impressive finish but overall i wasn't massively impressed with Usyk. Joshua would walk through him and Fury would toy with him. He could conceivably outbox Wilder but he could just as conceivably get knocked unconscious. I'm pretty sure the likes of Whyte, Miller and Pulev would all be too big for him as well.

Bellew looked impressive with his successful fighting on the back foot, but it'd be too easy if he could do this all night on. Usyk clearly prefers if his opponent walks him down like Gassiev. Then he can settle the fight with his jab. He'd beat all the fringe contenders at heavyweight, but Joshua/Wilder/Fury or even Whyte have some chance against him.

• 2 weeks later...