Shawn Porter vs Danny Garcia

LondonRingRules

Re: Shawn Porter vs Danny Garcia

--- Porter whoops Dannyboy 116-112 and 115-113 x2.

Garcia started strong but Porter finished stronger to grab the vacant WBC. Sounds like a good clash of styles. Dunno where Danny goes as he and pops are grossly egotistical and now he's got 2 dings on his record.

Boxing News: Porter defeats Garcia for WBC welterweight title >> September 9, 2018

Just got back from the fights. Glad there was some action in the main event, because Ugas vs Barrionuevo was a snoozer.

I met and took pics with Amanda Serrano, Raul Marquez, Keith Thurman, Shelly Vincent, Clarissa Shields, and Bryant Jennings. Had an absolute blast.

--- Porter whoops Dannyboy 116-112 and 115-113 x2.

Garcia started strong but Porter finished stronger to grab the vacant WBC. Sounds like a good clash of styles. Dunno where Danny goes as he and pops are grossly egotistical and now he's got 2 dings on his record.

Boxing News: Porter defeats Garcia for WBC welterweight title >> September 9, 2018

I had it 114-114. When I heard the scorecards I was sure that Garcia gets it. Some mistakes from Porter, because he wasn't active enough and it'd could have been wider. I thought that Garcia didn't look good. He wasn't too active with his jab and he relied solely on his power punches. The fight was closer than it could've been.

I also scored it a draw: 114-114, but I always tend to err on the side of caution and go with what I feel the judges are likely to decide, and so a few of the close rounds I edged to Garcia when really Porter had a case for the nod.

It was an enjoyable fight. Garcia seemed to be more composed and in control early on and it looked like he might just cruise to a victory but credit to Porter, I like his relentless swarming style and he always gives his all.

Shame he doesn't have big power, and you can tell he has worked HARD over the years to make up for lack of more natural boxing ability that some of his peers have, and this just makes him a handful!

I'm okay with the scores and decision, I think he wanted it more and as the rounds went on Garcia seemed to get more disheartened when he couldn't land any telling power punches.

I was pretty confused by the Boxnation studio reaction by Steve Bunce, saying how surprised he was of the scores. Maybe the 4 round swing was a bit off, but there was easily cases to be made for Porter to have got that decision.

WuwqYi8.png

My scorecard:

Garcia vs Porter

Round 1: 10:9 (Not much happend other than huge overhand right at the end for Danny that clearly took it for him)

Round 2: 10:9*

Round 3: 10:9*

Round 4: 9:10 (Shawn gets going, throwing more combinations and lands with good efficiency)

Round 5: 10:9*

Round 6: 9:10

Round 7: 9:10*

Round 8: 10:9*

Round 9: 10:9

Round 10: 10:9

Round 11: 9:10

Round 12: 10:9*

Final Score: 116:112 Garcia

We saw quite a few rounds differently, Ton.

For the most part - I didn't see Porter's shots as very effective. Danny's balance was excellent, he wasn't getting hit flash - and was coming with more compact and precise shots both to head and body.

He didnt quite separate himself - thus I don't have much argument against close Porter win, but that's not the way I'd score any fights...

Porter - on high level - just struggles to land clean punches. I don't even think his body punches are particulary effective as he squares his feet and doesn't have great leverage. Not sure how you guys saw it - but in round 10, when They were standing toe to toe - it was clear to me that Garcia's shots were cleaner, snappier - He'd absorb punch, catch and shoot, come back with better shot - and that was the difference in majority of rounds, to me.

I agree, though rounds 8-10 could go either way. Porter blocked an awful lot of punches. Still, a Porter victory is a bit tough to swallow.

At the same time, I don't think Garcia took enough chances. He did that "speed flurry" thing then got out, over and over, unless Porter pressed the action. OK, that's his thing, but I don't find it all that exciting. As a judge, I'd be more impressed with Porter just for that.

Still, gun to my head I'd have to give it to Garcia by maybe a round, despite the fact that one can never forget the Herrera robbery, and karma is a beautiful thing.

Edited by Cableaddict