Al Haymon signs BIG Fox deal...

LondonRingRules

Re: Al Haymon signs BIG Fox deal...

I'm kind of surprised by this, because I thought that Haymon's free TV experiment failed. Quality of those shows weren't that good and he lost some networks like NBC and ESPN. Probably not a lot is about to change, though. We will see some lower tier events on FS1 and some waned stars on FOX like Devon Alexander who was a headliner in last two FOX shows.

Not sure these deals do anything other than line the pockets or the promoters, rather than brings fans anything more exciting.

Maybe their mindset is "more exposure" but lets face it the true boxing fans take note whats going on either side of the pond anyway, it just might be "easier" to actually catch the fights. And by easier I also mean more costly! :haha:

Yeah, this was really interesting. I was under the (probably poorly informed impression) that Haymon's first investment (or, rather, his facilitation of investment) hadn't proved profitable and that the model was reliant on securing a larger market share than PBC was able to in the first round of investment. I haven't had a chance to look at this properly but it will be interesting to see if it's structured differently from the last PBC deal. My understanding was that the previous deal was and airtime buyout with the investment recouped via advertising revenue. Maybe that deal had enough proof-of-concept re: the PBC as a format to persuade FOX to pay for PBC rights themselves.

I think I am with others in having mixed feelings about this. I like to see investment in the sport and fighters getting paid well, but I'm also worried about the ramifications this will have for inter-stable/network fights not being made. If the networks/promoters don't leverage their position to make the fights that matter then everyone (including the fighters) has an inbuilt incentive to taker safer contests when they're sufficiently lucrative.