[SPOILERS] Sergey Kovalev vs Eleider Alvarez

LondonRingRules

Re: [spoilerS] Sergey Kovalev vs Eleider Alvarez

--- I'd think learning French in Montreal would be easier and more lucrative than English.

As long as he wants to be a big fish in a small pond, eh?

Well, as long as he keeps winning, and they can get him the big fights, (that should be automatic, now) maybe it doesn't matter.

--- I had the impression that Alvarez was having to learn how to fight for the first time.

Kov seems to have lost his edge when he dumped Jackson as his trainer against a really hungry and long neglected fighter. Big shuffle in the rankings to be sure. I had Kov up 3-1A-1Even, the first rd that was just a spar...

It's one of the most sudden declines in a fighter I've seen without cheating allegations attached. I suppose Roy Jones vs Tarver is probably the ultimate, but Kovalev just looks like a limited slugger now, where before he showed solid skills.

--- Alvarez showed good defensive skills with a touch of venom early.

He was also wicker than Kov, but once Kov got his timing sorted, it was all Kov with Alvarez slumping and in reverse. It was a good comeback, but both Ward fights are up there on boxing crookery on par with Liston/Ali.

Now we get to see where each goes from here. I'm hearing Ward just signed an espn deal that prob ain't gonna be showing his Imelda Marcos shoe Collection of Air Jordan's and Shaq Attacks...

Yeah, it was a clear win for Alvarez. No asterisks needed.

Credit to Kovalev, though, he fought a great fight until the end. He looked pretty crisp, and was certainly aggressive. Not quite as in his prime, but very, very good.

I think he just started to gas, lost concentration, made a big mistake, and Alvarez was good enough to capitalize on it.

I don't think Kovalev is "done" by any means, though of course he's past his best. If he can still manage to get top fights, then he's still a huge threat to anybody.

I always thought Kovalev was somewhat over hyped, especially the ring craft, boxing skillset. I always saw him as something of a banger with some decent boxing skills when he set his mind to it, but always always always prone to lapses in concentration and actually very beatable by anyone tough and durable. He reminds me a lot of Kelly Pavlik really.

This isn't any criticism, I really liked watching him over the years. He still has a lot to offer the division, but I don't think too many would want to step in with him, and he's used to the lucrative fights now. It's quite a way back for him.

That was a defeat entirely caused by complacency. Throughout the 7th Kovalev was walking around the ring with his chin up and his hands by his hips. Ridiculous for a fighter of his experience.

Agreed. Surprisingly stupid. I guess Sergey figured Alvarez couldn't hurt him even if Alvarez landed cleanly.

But he also started to get tired, which may be part of why he was holding his hands low.

One of the most shocking outcomes I've witnessed in boxing. It was possible for Alvarez to outpoint Kovalev slightly in my opinion, but KO was out of my mind. I thought that Kovalev started to break Alvarez down in rounds 4-6 and yet ... he gets TKOd. Amazing win for Alvarez.