Opinions on Munguia v Smith [SPOILERS]

pittbox

Very interesting fight, but after watching this one with British commentary I have some interesting impressions. First of all, the commentators described this one as some hero-like, amazing performance from Liam Smith and they didn't say anything bad about Munguia. First of all, Munguia looked very beatable in this fight. I think 119-108 scores are misleading. 116-111 is the proper card for me. Mexican ate too many clean shots in this bout. He's great to watch, strong and tough guy, but he has no defense and looks quite one dimentional. I don't really see him winning against Jermell Charlo or Jarett Hurd. Of course, puncher always has a chance, but for me he wouldn't be a favorite against them.

And I have to say something about Liam's performance. He fought this one EXACTLY like Munguia wanted him to fight. Smith didn't have the mindset to win this one. He wanted to lose this in a "pretty" fashion. Just look at round 7 or 10. Smith clearly outscores Munguia fighting from the outside during the first two minutes, and yet he stops throwing and stands against the ropes letting Munguia pound him with his powerful shots. This was a really bad strategy. He basically was exchanging blows with a big, young and powerful guy thorough the fight. It was maybe brave, but clearly not smart.

116-111 fight on my card for a guy that was expected to win by KO, against the opponent who clearly had no strategy is a disappointment for me. Of course, the fight was great and exciting, but I think if Munguia fights against someone smarter he may have big problems with the way he eats those shots thorough the fight.

Re: Opinions on Munguia v Smith [spoilerS]

^ Spot on recap / analysis.

I've always respected Smith, but never thought much of his prospects. Yesterday he didn't dissapoint on either issue.

Mungia is obviously a blast to watch, but so sloppy & so open.... And he expends way too much energy. He sort of reminds me of Provodnikov.

(Where is "MunguiaMom?" )

Thought Smith started well and looked to test the 21-year-olds chin. Not sure what Harold Lederman was watching. Munguia proved too big and kept coming. Surprised Smith made the end but credit to him, he stuck in there.

Munguia's trainer made comments about Smith's high guard, before the fight. That guy needs to do his job and teach Jaime how to defend. Munguia not ready for unification fights. This was the type of fight he needed and needs some more.

Seems to me that Munguia was a tad bit overhyped with his win over Sadam Ali, who isn't a true 154 lb fighter. I have Smith winning the 1st 3 rounds, and i believe picking up 1 more round in his favor later on. That 9th round should be candidate for Round Of The Year. I loved the way Munguia didn't give up going to the body, even after Russel Mora warned him for IMO borderline low blows. Any time he threw that double hook upstairs/downstairs, it landed cleanly and effectively.

Definitely not ready for a unification. But i wouldn't mind seeing him in there with a Austin Trout type of fighter. Although i feel like Golden Boy is gonna feed him someone like Kamegai, which would do nothing for his development but will make Lampley splooge in his pants.