WBSS Season 2 draw has been made - Thoughts?

WelshDevilRob

Bantamweight

(Number is their seeding going in)

1 Ryan Burnett (19-0, 9 KOs) vs

8 Nonito Donaire (38-5, 24 KOs)

4 Emmanuel Rodriguez (18-0, 12 KOs) vs

5 Jason Moloney (17-0, 14 KOs)

3 Zolani Tete (27-3, 21 KOs) vs

6 Mikhail Aloyan (4-0)

2 Naoya Inoue (16-0, 14 KOs) vs

7 Juan Carlos Payano (20-1, 9 KOs)

Junior Welterweight

1 Regis Progais (22-0, 19 KOs) vs

8 Terry Flanagan (33-1, 13 KOs)

4 Ivan Baranchyk (18-0, 11 KOs) vs

5 Anthony Yigit (21-0-1, 7 KOs)

3 Kiryl Relikh (22-2, 19 KOs) vs

6 Eduard Troyanovsky (27-1, 24 KOs)

2 Josh Taylor (13-0, 11 KOs) vs

7 Ryan Martin (22-0, 12 KOs)

Still a third division to be added. Thoughts on the first round draw?

Re: WBSS Season 2 draw has been made - Thoughts?

JWW more interesting for me, anything below is ludicrous to watch in real life. Midget fighting.

I expect Tete to drop out which leaves the Bantams final between Burnett and Inoue.

Prograis will knock Turbo out of the ring. Baranchyk is Showtime's New Gen blue eyed boy and is overhyped. Anything can and will happen with Troya. the plum fight is obv Taylor/Martin. Cracking matchup.

Prograis will knock Turbo out of the ring. Baranchyk is Showtime's New Gen blue eyed boy and is overhyped. Anything can and will happen with Troya. the plum fight is obv Taylor/Martin. Cracking matchup.

Indeed. A classic match between differing styles.

I have to go wth Taylor, though. Also, I'd rather see Prograis - Taylor in the final, than Prograis - Martin.

For all those other guys at 140, I hope they have a nice time, while it lasts.......

Somewhat disappointed to see Prograis - Flanaghan and Taylor - Martin in the first round. Like others, my hunch is that they are the best four fighters in the tournament - so it would have been nice to see them face-off a round later. I understand that there are mandatories that get in the way of a purer draw though.

Burnett - Donaire is the most interesting first round fight of the bantamweight tournament for me. Age and weight are the big variables that make this more intriguing than the other matchups. More than the 140 tournament, this first round feels like a warm up before the semi-finals for the big four fighters.

I'm guessing LHW. They could never make HW work, and they will want as heavy as possible, for the casual fans. Can't do CW again, so....

Makes sense to me. Not really fussed which divisions they run with provided the talent is there, and preferably all the belt holders.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a third division to add-anyone know which one?

I read that they wanted to have a heavier weight class for the third tournament and Sauerland just confirmed that they were trying to get a tournament at 175 going, but they couldnt get kovalev,

because he was signed to a three fight deal with HBO.

Heavyweight doesnt work, it only works if they present it as a tournament to produce a worthy challenger instead of the best.

Heavy has a decent amount of fringe guys. You could have guys like Kownacki, Kabayel, Breazeale, Hughie Fury, Ruiz Jr., Wallin, Kuzmin, Rivas or 1 or 2 prospects like Ajagba, Hrgovic or Joyce duke it out,

while Joshua, Povetkin, Tyson Fury and Wilder doing their thing.

Wow, I've withdrawn from boxing even more than I realised - I have no fucking clue who most of those fighters are.

No worries.

I only recognize half of them, and have a solid understanding of about 4-5 of them.

if the 3rd is 175, its hard to see a good line up coming out of that. Cant see Alvarez, Kovalev, Stevenson, etc entering, probably be Barrera down if they can attract them, cant see how thats gonna work

if the 3rd is 175, its hard to see a good line up coming out of that. Cant see Alvarez, Kovalev, Stevenson, etc entering, probably be Barrera down if they can attract them, cant see how thats gonna work

I couldn't see Usyk and Briedas entering last year, but they did, so who knows? If reports from last year were accurate, the winner of each division makes around 8.5 million.

That aint chump change.

Imagine how long it would take Broner to flush that down a toilet?

Or to blow it all on hookers and champagne?

Stevenson would be a problem, but it's about time he was stripped of his title, anyway. (long overdue, actually)

--- cruisers have been the red headed stepchildren of boxing as are East Euros and Cubanos, thus the impetus for success.

dont see how Bantys and the teensies will have the same attraction. LHs are already fighting each other save Stephie. End of the promoters gonna want their share...

I couldn't see Usyk and Briedas entering last year, but they did, so who knows? If reports from last year were accurate, the winner of each division makes around 8.5 million.

That aint chump change.

Imagine how long it would take Broner to flush that down a toilet?

Or to blow it all on hookers and champagne?

Stevenson would be a problem, but it's about time he was stripped of his title, anyway. (long overdue, actually)

i hope you are correct bro, i really do

Wasn't their supposed to be a third weight division for this season of the WBSS?

Yes, there will be.

That's why we're discussing LHW. They probably are having trouble making it happen, as Layton outlined, and so a delay on that decision. Probably some huge negotiations going on behind the scenes, with promotors, managers, and the WBC. (Again, time to dump Chickenson.)