Charles Martin vs Adam Kownacki on Porter/Garcia undercard?

joe strong

I always said Martin won the lottery when Tyson Fury got stripped of the IBF title. He so happened to have a top 10 ranking after winning a few regional trinkets & other guys ahead of him were dropping out of the rankings to pursue other fights so he moved up to the #2 spot.. He then fought for the vacant belt & looked like he was about to take control of the fight when Glazkov blew out his knee. He made $400000 for that fight & won the IBF title without landing the winning blow. He then laid down for Joshua in a couple of rounds for a cool 8.5 million. He made 9 million in those 2 IBF title fights & never landed a significant punch in either bout. I don't think any fighter in the history of the sport has been that lucky. Nobody knows how good he really is. He is a big 6'5 southpaw & Kownacki will be coming right at him. Adam is easy to hit so we will see what Martin is really made of. He's had a lot of down time living the good life the last few years so does he still have the drive to box? We will find out as Kownacki will be in his face from the opening bell. Kownacki is a lot like Chris Arreola. Same body, same block punches with his face defence but he is always moving forward & throws a lot of punches. I am very interested to see what Martin is all about. I have watched about a dozen of his fights against lesser opposition so I can't make a good assessment of him yet but he looked like he could walk thru Glazkov's punches & was about to turn the heat up before the injury so I won't right him off yet. A case can be made that he is a fraud & the luckiest HW champion of all-time.I'd like to see Kownacki/Miller...

Re: Charles Martin vs Adam Kownacki on Porter/Garcia undercard?

Interesting.

you imply that Martin lost to AJ because he just threw the fight.

Given AJ's history, I wouldn't rule that out, but I think Martin just sucks. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights in that fight. His eyes opened wide, and he just stood there, waiting to get taken out.

Hmmm... come to think on it, maybe he DID lay down.

But he still sucks. Glazkov was totally in control before his knee blew. Especially that body work.

Interesting.

Given AJ's history, I wouldn't rule that out, but I think Martin just sucks. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights in that fight. His eyes opened wide, and he just stood there, waiting to get taken out.

Hmmm... come to think on it, maybe he DID lay down.

But he still sucks. Glazkov was totally in control before his knee blew. Especially that body work.

I won't say he threw the fight but he certainly didn't get up too quickly. He was smiling after the fight & was not hurt... He was probably thinking that it was the easiest 8.5 million any HW ever got... I don't know what you were watching in the Glazkov fight. Glazkov looked timid when he realized he couldn't hurt Martin. It was Martin who started to take the fight to Glazkov once he knew Glazkov couldn't hurt him. It looked like the fight was about to take a drastic turn for the worst for Glazkov. Just from what I remember.

I won't say he threw the fight but he certainly didn't get up too quickly. He was smiling after the fight & was not hurt... He was probably thinking that it was the easiest 8.5 million any HW ever got... I don't know what you were watching in the Glazkov fight. Glazkov looked timid when he realized he couldn't hurt Martin. It was Martin who started to take the fight to Glazkov once he knew Glazkov couldn't hurt him. It looked like the fight was about to take a drastic turn for the worst for Glazkov. Just from what I remember.

Martin v Glazkov was just about two slow rounds, so for me it's a waste of time to try to make any conclucions from it. Judging from the records, Kownacki looks like a favorite for me. I think Martin won't establish a distance enough and Kownacki should outbox him.

Martin v Glazkov was just about two slow rounds, so for me it's a waste of time to try to make any conclucions from it. Judging from the records, Kownacki looks like a favorite for me. I think Martin won't establish a distance enough and Kownacki should outbox him.

I think Kownacki has to be the favourite but nobody knows how good Martin really is. Glazkov & Joshua didn't show us anything. Against lesser opposition he looked to have some decent tools. Big southpaw, some power (how much power still to be determined against a good opponent), decent hand speed but that was all against limited opposition. It still blows me away how this guy made 9 million & won a world title in 2 fights without landing a significant punch. That is almost as much as Wilder's has made since becoming WBC champion...

Which Joshua fights do you think have been fixed? Most have ended in fairly conclusive knock outs.

Which Joshua fights do you think have been fixed? Most have ended in fairly conclusive knock outs.
I had said Martin laid down for Joshua. I didn't mean it was fixed but he was looking for a quick way out to cash that 8.5 million. He was only responding to me...

I had said Martin laid down for Joshua. I didn't mean it was fixed but he was looking for a quick way out to cash that 8.5 million. He was only responding to me...

Hi Joe. I agree with your assertion. I was more questioning Cable's stating that AJ has a history of fixed fights.

--- Looked more after eating a few poleaxes, Martin was scrambled with that blank look of splotto on the canvas.

end of the day it was child's play for Josh who is several grades up the scale than what Martin fought previous.

--- Boxrec added the suspension thingy to their database that's been getting some play of late.

Basically seems to be an extension of suspension of a knocked out boxer by the commissions. No rules have been cited, but seems endemic on a temp basis for most all who have recently fought. That's what I see absent any published guidelines by opaque overseers.