Is Jhonny Gonzalez a HOF-candidate?

BoztheMadman

When he retires, that is. He's so far the only man to knock out Abner Mares, in one round even, he beat Montiel when he was absolutely prime, he stopped Hozumi Hasegawa, Irene Pacheco, Mark Too Sharp Johnson, Ratanachai Sor Vorapin, he was ahead against both Israel Vazquez and Gerry Penalosa when he got stopped. In short, this guy has accolades! On the other side, he has lost 10 times...but has 66 victories also. What do you think, is he HOF material?

Re: Is Jhonny Gonzalez a HOF-candidate?

--- Definitely Jhonny better than half the existent HOFers.

4 of those losses were close decisions after turning pro at 17 years of age learning the ropes. The other 6 were against champs, but when you factor the champs he beat, usually by KO, that's outstanding competition. He was a decent boxer but made excitement as an unrepentant slugger with a flashy, looping, long distance style.

Record here: Jhonny Gonzalez

London, I get you point, but I'm still not sure.

Gonzalez' best wins were probably Mares and Arce, but Arce was a shadow of his former brilliant self at that point.

Losing to Oquendo doesn't make me wanna' start throwing confetti, even if it was a close fight.

Of course, Gonzales beat a guy named "Hurricane," so that should qualify him right there, in my book!

I dunno, is being "exciting" enough? Gatti's in there, so I guess, why not Gonzalez?

Yes Boz, I certainly think Jhonny is a future HO Famer- had a very good career.

Also his namesake Jhonny Wagstaff belong's in the uploaders HOF

I like the idea... :lol:

Back on topic - simple answer for me is yes for all the above reasons. A very long career, especially by modern standards, and still going. Ducked no one - fought everyone and anyone. The ibhof committee make a few strange decisions but get it right generally. Committees are strange animals. Put 3 men in a room together - give them a free £100 and tell them to go for a few beers and a steak. I can assure you they will spend 20 mins arguing-debating where to go, and then probably still come to a compromise. So a full committee of men debating the merits of boxers are never gonna agree.

Yes Boz, I certainly think Jhonny is a future HO Famer- had a very good career.

Also his namesake Jhonny Wagstaff belong's in the uploaders HOF :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I like the idea... :lol:

Back on topic - simple answer for me is yes for all the above reasons. A very long career, especially by modern standards, and still going. Ducked no one - fought everyone and anyone. The ibhof committee make a few strange decisions but get it right generally. Committees are strange animals. Put 3 men in a room together - give them a free £100 and tell them to go for a few beers and a steak. I can assure you they will spend 20 mins arguing-debating where to go, and then probably still come to a compromise. So a full committee of men debating the merits of boxers are never gonna agree.

Johnny aka a million myriads, we love you bro :haha: on the topic of the other Johnny, well im a bit on the fence if im honest, longevity and who hes fought though slightly tip me towards yes he should

Johnny aka a million myriads, we love you bro :haha: on the topic of the other Johnny, well im a bit on the fence if im honest, longevity and who hes fought though slightly tip me towards yes he should

Hey Layt! :wave: Well, I'm glad I started this thread...the response has been more positive than I expected. Honestly I thought most of you'd be like "naw, what has he done, blabla"... :haha:

--- Always been a big Gonzo fan thru thick and thin, so thanks Boz.

A couple of those mid career losses taken because he was tight at the weight, but he continued to move up successfully, the mark of a good fighter.

You welcome. :thumb: I was disappointed at his performance against Ponce de Leon, and on his own birthday to boot. It seems he just was in a bad shape because he was so static.