Right decision?

Gennady Golovkin stripped of IBF middleweight title

A month after his last fight world middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin 38-0-1 (34) has been stripped of his IBF world title.

Golovkin defended his WBA, WBC and IBO world titles against junior middleweight Vanes Martirosyan 36-4-1 (21) at the StubHub Center in Carson, California on May 5 after previous opponent Saul “Canelo” Alvarez withdrew from their scheduled fight on the same date after twice testing positive to the banned substance clenbuterol in tests conducted in February.

Gennady Golovkin stripped of IBF middleweight title - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Right decision?

Yes. Shameless swerve of Sergiy Derevyanchenko. In fact he was warned he WOULD be stripped if he didnt fight him.

I can remember the days when Triple-G was moaning and crying to anyone who would listen he was being paid less than $100K a fight. Now he's happy to be relocated from Vegas to Carson to 'fight' a MW who hadnt fought for 2 years.

[h=2][/h]

Can't blame the IBF too much for this decision. Now the question is, how aggressive will Lou Dibella be once Derevyanchenko wins the title, to match him against GGG? I'll bet, Lou won't be barking and making all that noise.

I'm actually ok with not seeing a GGG vs Canelo II fight. Call me crazy.

--- my thoughts are he had an iron clad guarantee of maybe a $20 mil purse and took some bad advice from Loeffler who overplayed their hand and busted the pot up.

in short, he got into an argument with the bus driver and crashed the bus trying to wrest control. May well be the financial blunder of the millenium topped only by BALCO Marquez.

in short, he got into an argument with the bus driver and crashed the bus trying to wrest control. May well be the financial blunder of the millenium topped only by BALCO Marquez.

Some things are worth more than money, and Marquez probably has more than enough in the bank. Guaranteed Pacquiao wouldn't be interested in another rematch either if he'd won by KO.

Meanwhile, I think the IBF has done the right thing. Whether it was for the right reasons remains to be seen.

Edited by gavpowell

Absolutely the right decision, and about time some governing body actually showed some balls.

IMO, Golovkin's rep has taken a heavy blow from recent events. And for what? He could have told Clenelo to fuck off, since Golovkin already beat hm, and let the Gingican come begging for scraps in 2019. Golovkin could be in a wheelchair and still beat that cheater, if everybody is clean.

But Derevychenko & Charlo? Different story. Every day Golovkin gets older, and those guys gain more high-level experience. He should have taken one of them on when he had the chance.

Maybe it's time for Little G to retire, and let the serious fighters take over.