[SPOILER] Lee Selby V Josh Warrington Elland RD 19 May 2018

markD

Who wins?

Welsh IBF World Featherweight champion, Lee Selby takes on Josh Warrington from Leeds (not that Warrington has told anyone where he is from) at Elland Rd the home of Leeds United FC. The fight is on Boxnation.

Most fans having Selby winning. The bookies agree, putting Warrington as 3/1 underdog.

There's been little respect from Warrington for the Barry boxer. Warrington hoping a hostile Leeds atmosphere will help turn things in his favour.

Selby is no stranger to Elland Rd, Visiting earlier this year to watch his Cardiff City rout Leeds United 4-1. Many are expecting Lee Selby to replicate this result in the boxing ring.

Re: Lee Selby V Josh Warrington Elland RD 19 May 2018

I think this could turn out to be Lee Selby's toughest fight of his career. I think Selby will win the fight, but he may have to lift himself off the canvas to do so.

Looking forward to the winner vs Frampton at Windsor Park in the summer.

Josh has been acting stupidly at the final press conference. Doesn't seem to be able to keep his anger/emotions in-check. Think he'll be reckless, on fight night, and that'll play into Selby's hands. Could well end up being a good fight. Selby too good IMO.

As usual I try to avoid bullshit buildup antics, press conferences, face to faces, beyond the ropes tripe.

I have heard bits of soundbites, and interviews though and from what I have seen its Warrington giving it the big un, being derogatory, talking up his chances being at home and being from Yorkshire (yawn) etc.

Selby has seemingly remained calm and not resorted to much in terms of insults etc.

Hopefully he boxes Josh's ears off and humiliates him infront of his hometown crowd.

My prediction is a dodgy split decision for Warrington. It's bound to go the distance and the raucous hometown crowd will be worth at least a couple of rounds. Any vaguely close rounds will go Warrington's way. There's no way he gives Selby a neutral ground rematch if this happens btw.

Warren clearly sees Warrington as the better commercial prospect.

Josh has been acting stupidly at the final press conference. Doesn't seem to be able to keep his anger/emotions in-check. Think he'll be reckless, on fight night, and that'll play into Selby's hands. Could well end up being a good fight. Selby too good IMO.

He does seem overly anxious and roundup a bit during the pressers.

You could be right Rob and the occasion might get to him him, but on the other hand it push him on to a career best performance.

As usual I try to avoid bullshit buildup antics, press conferences, face to faces, beyond the ropes tripe.

I have heard bits of soundbites, and interviews though and from what I have seen its Warrington giving it the big un, being derogatory, talking up his chances being at home and being from Yorkshire (yawn) etc.

Selby has seemingly remained calm and not resorted to much in terms of insults etc.

Hopefully he boxes Josh's ears off and humiliates him infront of his hometown crowd.

Did you watch the round table when they spoke about my interview? Warrington didn't like one of Selby's comments :lol:

Selby's being getting some stick from the fans as well during these events. He's shown a cool head and I think he will in the ring on Saturday as well.

Did you watch the round table when they spoke about my interview? Warrington didn't like one of Selby's comments :lol:

Selby's being getting some stick from the fans as well during these events. He's shown a cool head and I think he will in the ring on Saturday as well.

I didn't no, as I said I don't tune into most of any fight build up. I just hate the antics and shit.

And the Leeds mob being hostile and giving some stick to Selby? I'm shocked I must say :whistle:

I can see both points that have been mentioned though. Warrington riled up, on his home turf, with a loud crowd behind him, might just spur him on to find an extra gear to put on a performance and cause the upset.

But, and my favoured outcome, is that Selby remains calm and fights smart and classy. He should be able to outbox Warrington, and in contrast the toxic atmosphere could spur him on! The feeling of making his opponent look stupid infront of his home crowd after all the talk, and shutting them all up would be really damn rewarding.

I would love to see Selby stop Warrington however, I think this is going to be closer than a lot of people may think. Perhaps even a split decision.

I think this fight will go to the scorecards Boz. I can't see either fighter winning the fight by stoppage.

I think this fight will go to the scorecards Boz. I can't see either fighter winning the fight by stoppage.

I absolutely guarantee that Selby needs to win every round clearly to win even a close decision. Anything else and he's going to get robbed.

Warrington aka the 'Space Raider' has a good engine on him but he is not a big puncher. I can't see Selby getting dropped for that matter. As people have already alluded to this fight could well be a very close affair. Let hope it doesn't turn out to be a stinker.

Re:

Lee Selby V Josh Warrington Elland RD 19 May 2018

I scored it Warrington by 6 rounds.

Warrington was like a man possessed tonight. I wonder how much the early cut effected Selby’s vision and game plan.

Surprised how open Selby was after throwing a shot tonight compared to Warrington’s high guard and sharp punches.

It was clear early on that Selby’s game plan wasn't working and playing into Warrington’s hands. I'd of liked to have seen Selby let Warrington come onto him and use his footwork and long jab, but he kept coming forward which played into Warrington's game plan.

I absolutely guarantee that Selby needs to win every round clearly to win even a close decision. Anything else and he's going to get robbed.

Not on one judges score card. Never a split decision tonight.

Re:

Fair play to Warrington, he was relentless in there, just kept coming forward and mauling Selby. Hitting him from all angles.

Dragged him into a dog fight. Don't think either man was hurt at any point, BUT when Warrington landed Selby's head flung back or his body swayed with the direction of momentum made it look probably worse than it was.

But anything Selby landed didn't affect Warrington at all.

Was never a close fight for that split decision.

I socred it 117-111 to Warringon, 9 rounds to 3: Fight Score's scorecard for Lee Selby vs Josh Warrington -

19 May 2018

Re:

Fair play to Warrington, he was relentless in there, just kept coming forward and mauling Selby. Hitting him from all angles.

Dragged him into a dog fight. Don't think either man was hurt at any point, BUT when Warrington landed Selby's head flung back or his body swayed with the direction of momentum made it look probably worse than it was.

But anything Selby landed didn't affect Warrington at all.

Was never a close fight for that split decision.

I socred it 117-111 to Warringon, 9 rounds to 3: Fight Score's scorecard for Lee Selby vs Josh Warrington -

19 May 2018

I had it 116-112 for Warrington. pittbox's scorecard for Lee Selby vs Josh Warrington -

19 May 2018

Selby really had no defence in this fight.

Re:

--- Frampton picked Selby. Must be gutted by now.

I ddon't think so. I think Frampton will find Warrington easier to solve than he would Selby. As for the fight, did the ref know punches round the back of the head are illegal?

Re:

I ddon't think so. I think Frampton will find Warrington easier to solve than he would Selby. As for the fight, did the ref know punches round the back of the head are illegal?
I think both fighters were guilty of that more so Warrington. Few times I noticed Warrington was throwing a over hand right at close range and Selby was ducking, which naturally hit him in the back of the head. But it happened all to often and it deserved a warning to try clean the fight up, but the referee wasn't interested.

I didn't like seeing Selby complain so early on and it set a trend.

Its a shame Selby got cut early as we'll never know how it affected Selby's performance.

I'm hoping Santa Cruz will be next for Frampton's stadium fight.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Re:

--- Frampton picked Selby. Must be gutted by now.
In the post fight interview, I got the impression he didn't care who won as long as next fight was for the world title.

Frampton didn't like it when the commentator said it seems Warren has suggested you both (warrington) wont fight each other.

Frampton said I hope we do, I want to fight for the world title.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Re:

Josh Warrinton surprised me by how well he fought. He was disciplined and stuck to a plan. Lee lacked zip and just didn't seem able to raise his game.

Lee's statement after the fight suggests why and I think it's a good idea to move up.

33110816_10151057578294969_8111182546089279488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d647b07d4d9800e5235ebf14eac8ee83&oe=5B8C6826

Re:

Funny how the weight was never an issue when he was winning? :whistle:

Always has to be some excuse chucked up doesn't there!?

Anyway he said well done to Warrington so he's staying humble at least. Let's see how he fairs at the higher weight.

Re:

Funny how the weight was never an issue when he was winning? :whistle:

Always has to be some excuse chucked up doesn't there!?

Anyway he said well done to Warrington so he's staying humble at least. Let's see how he fairs at the higher weight.

A interview I did in Jan 2017 with Selby.

Selby plans on moving up weight, but he has other plans first:

“I could move up but I’ve got the size at the moment. I’d like to keep hold of my belt at featherweight, maybe unify, well try and unify – if that goes successful then move up.”

So, in 2017 he believed the size was an advantage.

Before the fight his trainer, Tony Borg said to me:

“Lee Selby is the ultimate pro. He puts on weight obviously as he is a very big guy for a featherweight, so he carries a bit of weight but it’s not fat.

We all know he was a big featherweight and moving up was an option.

And just before the fight, Selby said to myself:

“I think I’ll stay at featherweight. There’s some big fights for me – I think I’ll stay down at featherweight for the moment. I only weighed 8.12 in my last fight so I should be able to do it comfortable.”

It looked like Selby was staying at featherweight until his loss. Not sure if it's a good idea moving up weight, but moving up weight might give him some much needed power.