Best Brit that didn't win a World title?

WelshDevilRob

I say Swansea's Colin Jones. Boy he could punch.

Colin Jones: 'The Punch' - Welsh Boxing Legend

Just under two hours of action from big-punching Jones. Includes the Clement Tshinza, Curtis Ramsey, Sakaraia Ve, Hans-Henrik Palm, Allen Braswell, Billy Parks, Kirkland Laing and Don Curry fights.

• Like 1

Re: Best Brit that didn't win a World title?

Herol Graham of course is a very strong candidate...I must say David Pearce too, because he could have achieved more had he focused on cruiserweight and if his career wasn't cut short. Alex Arthur, Michael Gomez...won minor world titles only. So they are in the mix too. Then we have Mehrdud Takaloo, Wayne Alexander, Henry Wharton.

I remember watching boxing on Sky in the late 90s/early 2000s, they had Colin "Dynamo Dunne" and Richard "The Secret" Williams winning WBU and IBO titles. I was a fan of boxing but had little opportunity to watch it until that point, so I took Sky's word for it that these guys were proper world champions. It was only later when I realised they were the equivalent of the British Masters title - just a bauble you could have for winning a fight against some nobody.

Trying to think who the other one is - James something - won a WBF title and you'd have thought he'd beaten Sugar Ray Robinson the way they banged on about it.

What about Jim Driscoll? Won everything else and seem to remember he beat the reigning champ but the title wasn't at stake.

I have to choose Michael Watson.

He maybe wasn´t a skill fighter but was all heart and guts.

Is great to know that he´s now recovering from his injuries. Still fighting for his most important win.

Jock McAvoy for me. Kayoed Babe Risko in a non-title fight and as a result never got a shot at the middleweight title. Eventually he got a chance at light heavy but really he was a bit small for that division.

I must say David Pearce too, because he could have achieved more had he focused on cruiserweight and if his career wasn't cut short.

Boz, the new Boxing Monthly has an article on David Pearce in it if you're interested.