Whyte ordered to fight Ortiz before Wilder

Bear Hugger

Dillian Whyte is no longer first in line for Deontay Wilder's WBC heavyweight title, the governing body has said.

Whyte has been ordered to fight Luis Ortiz to decide the 'second mandatory', while Dominic Breazeale is the WBC's preferred challenger to Wilder.

Meanwhile, Anthony Joshua and Wilder's representatives are expected to hold negotiations in New York this week about a fight for the undisputed title that would render their mandatory obligations irrelevant.

Full article:

Dillian Whyte ordered to fight Luis Ortiz before Deontay Wilder | Boxing News | Sky Sports

Re: Whyte ordered to fight Ortiz before Wilder

Err what? How long have the governing bodies been dictating fights???

I thought it was a case of here's our rankings, champion must defend the belt against a top 10 fighter once every 6-12 months and the number 1,2 or 3 ranked figher in that same period. Or something along those lines.

Everyone else in their ranks, its up to them/the promoter who they match make with and if it affects the rankings then so be it.

I expect Whyte to beat Ortiz comfortably. He just needs to watch out for that big punch that Ortiz carries.

I think its a good fight as it gives him a chance to gauge himself against Wilder and more time to improve or work on anything that he needs before facing Wilder.

I thought it was a case of here's our rankings, champion must defend the belt against a top 10 fighter once every 6-12 months and the number 1,2 or 3 ranked figher in that same period. Or something along those lines.

Everyone else in their ranks, its up to them/the promoter who they match make with and if it affects the rankings then so be it.

Good point.

You're new to the mandatory system?? It's always been "You can have a voluntary defence against more or less whoever you like, but we dictate regular mandatories and appoint the challengers for that position. Then we'll bank a cheque and announce that the guy who's been mandatory for 3 years isn't the real mandatory, he just has the right to a final, no really this time, diamond-encrusted eliminator."

You're new to the mandatory system?? It's always been "You can have a voluntary defence against more or less whoever you like, but we dictate regular mandatories and appoint the challengers for that position. Then we'll bank a cheque and announce that the guy who's been mandatory for 3 years isn't the real mandatory, he just has the right to a final, no really this time, diamond-encrusted eliminator."

LOL.

Spot on.

Whyte v Ortiz would be a great fight and I wouldn't consider Whyte as a favorite. Nevertheless, it's wrong to force him to this fight if he's the mandatory challenger.