Tony Bellew believes doping won't stop in boxing until someone is killed

The_budweiser

The only way boxing will address its rampant problem with performance enhancing drugs will be when a boxer is killed at the hands of a drug cheat, according to Tony Bellew.

Speaking at a press conference in his hometown of Liverpool to promote his upcoming rematch with David Haye, Bellew made the comments days after Mexican superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvvarez was banned for just six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for twice testing positive to the banned substance clenbuterol in February.

Tony Bellew believes doping won’t stop in boxing until someone is killed - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Tony Bellew believes doping won’t stop in boxing until someone is killed

Why would it stop just because someone's killed? Boxing's more than happy to gloss over that.

True.

I wouldn't surprise me if all the top boxers were on something at one time or another during their career.

Re: Tony Bellew believes doping won’t stop in boxing until someone is killed

Why would it stop just because someone's killed? Boxing's more than happy to gloss over that.

A death in itself should be tragic enough anyway.....but if it happens and then said fighter was found to have enhancing drugs in them, it would probably trouble some higher ups.

However I am sure it will never happen.

1. They will never test someone who's opponent has died, as they will already be stressed out over the event enough....:whistle:

2. The boxing bods would likely just say deaths occur even when the fighters are clean anyway, and that they are testing athletes in line with whatever code of conduct that's in place, so what more could they do?