Amir Khan: I can still be like Mayweather and Pacquiao

The_budweiser

Amir Khan insists it isn’t too late for him to become a boxing superstar.

Speaking on the Sky Sports documentary Amir Khan: Off Limits ahead of his welterweight fight against Canada’s Phil Lo Greco 28-3 (15) this weekend, the 31-year-old Bolton boxer believes he has time on his side.

“Look at Manny Pacquiao, who is 38 and started having his big fights at 31,” said Khan, 31-4 (19). “Look at Mayweather, he is 40 years old. I’m still a baby. I’m still young compared to those guys and what they’ve achieved and the same weight as me.

Amir Khan: I can still be like Mayweather and Pacquiao - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Amir Khan: I can still be like Mayweather and Pacquiao

Pacroid and Floyd are in the top 10 boxers of our generation - maybe of all time and all generations. Khan is deluding himself to even talk about himself in the same sentence. His is also forgetting they actually have talent and dedication.

Oh yes, it is! I think he'll always have shaky chin and some defensive issues as well. He seems too easy to nail with a counter left hook or right hand, for elite level fighters. That will never change. And now...he is no longer the youngster he was back in 2010. He can still have a career but not a long career.

Nothing wrong with aiming high and he does have the talent but with that chin he'll never get that superstar status he craves.

I still see a lot of ups and downs in his career and a few more chicken dances along the way,

Rob's correct, at the end of the day when all is said n' done, this is (in Khan's eyes) a warm up fight for a big £ showdown with Special K for his retirement fund because no way is he going to challenge again at world level. And I for one hope its a banana skin for him. I don't like him or what he stands for and I will be rooting for Lo Greco.

--- Gavvy dear, I have no need to think in such scenarios.

All i need do is highlight you, and, PRESTO, out of the bog you arise in a fog of methane to send all the critters into a scurry for their natural life span...simples...

Usually the in the couple of weeks running up to a big name fight, the guys at work will all be talking about it. No one has even mentioned the Khan fight, that says it all for me.

Rob's correct, at the end of the day when all is said n' done, this is (in Khan's eyes) a warm up fight for a big £ showdown with Special K for his retirement fund because no way is he going to challenge again at world level. And I for one hope its a banana skin for him. I don't like him or what he stands for and I will be rooting for Lo Greco.

I'm really surprised the coverage Khan still gets, considering his career has really kind of fallen short from the initial hype he had as a youngster. That's not to say he's a poor boxer, he is a decent level but has come up short everytime he has faced a decent fighter, and also a tendancy to get laid out.

He also really seemed to divide opinion in the UK with fight fans. Was he ever really that popular a figure over here?

Regardless, Hearn seems really invested in him. Headlining this card, I'd say I have seen and heard a lot more in terms of advertising and promotion for this fight than Framptons much more interesting contest, and I saw that they've even got Michael Buffer on board.

What does Eddie see in Khan to invest so highly in him? Is it a case of Khan, with his daliancies in the celebrity tv show circuit, is a more house hold name now than most boxers, alas he will draw viewers? I ain't convinced really.

What does Eddie see in Khan to invest so highly in him? Is it a case of Khan, with his daliancies in the celebrity tv show circuit, is a more house hold name now than most boxers, alas he will draw viewers? I ain't convinced really.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££ :cool: Khan vs Brook :cool: ££££££££££££££££££££££££££

The news site does well with Khan articles. I think people know he's not a big name, but people will buy tickets and tune in to see him get knocked out or do the chicken dance :ko:

££££££££££££££££££££££££££ :cool: Khan vs Brook :cool: ££££££££££££££££££££££££££

I aint sure that's such a money spinner fight these days. Maybe 2 years ago before Amir went being a top celebrity.

--- Gavvy dear, I have no need to think in such scenarios.

Doubling down on evidence of your own ignorance - why am I not surprised?

Back on topic, I must admit I was surprised how much of his handspeed Khan had kept - he can still be a force in the division if he's careful, but why do his team let him open his mouth? If he just knuckled down and fought instead of being his own hype man, he'd probably be seen as credible instead of a total fantasist.

Edited by gavpowell