What was the biggest upset that you predicted?

selij

What was the biggest upset that you predicted?

Personally it was Pac/Bradley I and its still being argued and debated about today. I proper fancied Bradley to win that and took 4/1 at our local bookies and was earning good £ at the time and loaded on it at at that fixed price. I don't know what the final odds finished up as (?) I rarely bet on boxing now if at all on any sport.

Not quite as dramatic, but I recently called Groves vs Eubank too and was quite vocal on here about Groves being too strong/experienced despite being vastly outnumbered by Eub Jr fans.

You don't have to have had a bet on it - but what were your best calls lads and lasses ?

Re: What was the biggest upset that you predicted?

Honestly hard to think of some. Won many Prediction Leagues in my time, and lost many. I predicted Kelly Pavlik KO 7 over Jermain Taylor - won a few quid on that. In recent times been predicting that Regis Prograis would be good and he's delivering.

If my memory serves me right, I'm sure I picked Groves to beat DeGale and I picked Hatton over Tszyu. But, I've got a lot wrong too like the recent Eubank-Groves - I expected Eubank to dance his way to victory instead of going Gung-ho. I also picked Klitschko over Fury.

Bookies had Price as a comfortable favorite over Teper. I'm not sure about boxing experts, though? Still, I was sure that Teper KOs Price and I consider this as the weirdest betting odds I've seen. If this counts as an upset, I surely predicted it. Other than this one, I don't remember much from me. Maybe, Pac v Horn? I gave Horn some credit before the fight and I'm not that upset that he won.

• Like 1

The only "upset" that I recall predicting was Collins v Eubank. I expected Benn to be KO'd in one round by McClellan so I got that wrong, but that wouldn't have been an upset anyway, ac McClellan (the dog killer) was the favourite.

• Like 1

Bookies had Price as a comfortable favorite over Teper. I'm not sure about boxing experts, though? Still, I was sure that Teper KOs Price and I consider this as the weirdest betting odds I've seen. If this counts as an upset, I surely predicted it. Other than this one, I don't remember much from me. Maybe, Pac v Horn? I gave Horn some credit before the fight and I'm not that upset that he won.

There aren't many upsets that I go for or really recall any big ones I have called right.

I remember years back I had a hunch Kiko Martinez would beat Bernard Dunne, when he squashed him in a round. Not though knowing anything about the guy, but there was lots of confidence in his corner and he was a bit of a banger.

Few weeks back I picked McDonnell to beat Yafai, was a big underdog on that one.

I actually add in some fight predictions / a bet tip when I do the fight-score newsletter, since the start of the year and I've kept a spreadsheet to track it. I didn't make all these bets myself, but IF the tips were followed I'd be £80 up now, that's following some losses on the Joshua card :haha:

Here's the spreadsheet: Fight-Score Betting Tips

looking at my betting history for 2018.

I successfully backed the underdog for:

Hadillah mohoumadi Vs Nadjib Mohammedi => Nadjib

Rances Barthelemy Vs Kyril Relikh => Relikh

Juan Francisco Estrada Vs Sor Rungvisai => Rungvisai (Also gave arroyo a big shot to upset cuadras, but didnt go through with the bet)

And I remember in 2017 winning big by backing Ndam against Murata (first fight, I was very lucky lol), Indongo Vs Burns and Mimoune Vs Eggington.

--- I wouldn't call it an upset except in loony britland, but explaining how Haye as he was known back then was gonna dismantle Macca fell on deaf ears much to the detriment of their paychecks that week...

I'd forgotten that one - always felt Haye was a different class to Maccarinelli, and the hilarity of Bunce backing Maccarinelli and then sitting next to Haye post-fight talking about how great he was is a favourite boxing memory.

looking at my betting history for 2018.

I successfully backed the underdog for:

Hadillah mohoumadi Vs Nadjib Mohammedi => Nadjib

Rances Barthelemy Vs Kyril Relikh => Relikh

Juan Francisco Estrada Vs Sor Rungvisai => Rungvisai (Also gave arroyo a big shot to upset cuadras, but didnt go through with the bet)

And I remember in 2017 winning big by backing Ndam against Murata (first fight, I was very lucky lol), Indongo Vs Burns and Mimoune Vs Eggington.

That one honestly surprised me. I udnerestimated Nadjib and Hadillah certainly disappoints in his biggest fights.

That one honestly surprised me. I udnerestimated Nadjib and Hadillah certainly disappoints in his biggest fights.

I wasnt that certain about the fight to make a big bet, but my thoughts were that

Hadillahs offense is way too basic to frequently land on nadjib with his awkward style. Nadjib cant beat guys who have good control of distance,

because his punches are not polished enough to close the distance or keep up at range,

Thats why he couldnt do anything against gvozdyk and kovalev, but hadillah is very basic and leaves himself open after he throws. Also doesnt know how to set up punches and

suprise nadjib.

The other question was if nadjib knows how to deal with pressure. I didnt have the time to actually see the fight, but apparently he did decent against

Nathan Cleverly, who is a better operator than hadillah.

Concluding factor was Hadillahs age. He was 37 and isnt a marquee fighter, who is backed up by a-level trainer, nutrionist and doctors who can give

him the optimal camp at an advanced age.

--- I wouldn't call it an upset except in loony britland, but explaining how Haye as he was known back then was gonna dismantle Macca fell on deaf ears much to the detriment of their paychecks that week...

I'd forgotten that one - always felt Haye was a different class to Maccarinelli, and the hilarity of Bunce backing Maccarinelli and then sitting next to Haye post-fight talking about how great he was is a favourite boxing memory.

Bunce has his favourites, usually his more willing studio guests I'd imagine. A bit like when he hyped up Chris Hobbs as a tough as they come soldier before Yarde toyed with him for fun :haha:

But regardless I remember Haye was a favourite in that fight but the odds were much closer than they should ever have been. Clear as day that Haye was levels above classic Warren fighter Enzo Mac.

I'll stick to ones I actually bet and won some money.

Hagler-Leonard - despite rooting for Hagler, I thought he looked near the end against Mugabe and Leonard had far fewer miles on the clock and was sure to have prepared thoroughly.

Lewis-Rahman I - I put some money down after hearing that Lewis hadn't done any high altitude training before the fight

Klitschko-Fury - styles make fights and Fury was always going to be a nightmare for Wlad

Two: Pascal beating Dawson and Froch beating Abraham. The second may not seem such an upset now, but back then I remember everyone else on the site I was at had picked Abraham to win. I just knew he was tailor made for Froch. And Pascal...I just felt he had the tools to beat Dawson.

• 1 year later...

--- While not officially an upset since the close odds favored Loma, nobody I saw in various forums was predicting as I was just how easily he was going to dissect Rigormortis, truly a modern work of art that will be near impossible to top.

It's funny how hard it is to remember. I know there must have been a few times, given my penchant for rooting for the underdog.

I did bet money (a private pool) on Buster Douglas to beat Tyson, but I didn't actual THINK it would happen, I just couldn't resist the odds.

So, well, that doesn't count.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- a common presumption of the English language that poses two different meanings. The Chinese are alleged to have solved the dilemma by use of tones, whereas the English use inflection if they are actually thinking about it. That's near impossible in the written format.

must be maddening to be tone deaf in China!