Rematch: Leo Santa Cruz vs Abner Mares - same result or different outcome?

The_budweiser

A rematch between featherweight world champions and Southern California rivals Leo “El Terremoto” Santa Cruz and Abner Mares will headline action Saturday, June 9 live on SHOWTIME from STAPLES Center in Los Angeles in an event presented by Premier Boxing Champions.

Tickets for the live event, which is promoted by Ringstar Sports and TGB Promotions, begin at $50, plus applicable fees, and are on sale today at 12:00 p.m. PT. To purchase tickets visit AXS.com at 12:00 p.m. PT.

Leo Santa Cruz & Abner Mares Square-Off in World Title Rematch - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Rematch: Leo Santa Cruz vs Abner Mares - same result or different outcome?

I can't see a different result and this is Cruz's mandatory, isn't it? So, he'll probably take an easier fight next. And with Frampton/Donaire vs Selby/Warrington potentially happening in the summer, we may not see the Cruz-Frampton trilogy, that I was hoping for.

Current Holders

WBC - Gary Russell Jr.

IBF - Lee Selby

WBO - Oscar Valdez

WBA - Leo Santa Cruz

Never rule out Mares. There's no quit in him, and amazingly, he's only 32 years old.

(It feels like he's been around so long, he must have been on one of the the Ali-frazier undercards.)

How Important Is Abner Mares’ Rematch With Santa Cruz?

Over the past few weeks, there have been headlines upon headlines regarding the cancellation of one of boxing history’s greatest rematches, as Canelo Alvarez has officially withdrawn from his May 5 rematch with Gennady Golovkin. The match was set for the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., to be aired on HBO pay per view but those plans are now up in smoke as “GGG” looks for a replacement option.

How Important Is Abner Mares’ Rematch With Santa Cruz? - Boxing News - Ring News24

• 1 month later...

--- Santa Cruz popular in Cali, and that's it. The frampton showdown enhanced both, otherwise the division too Tyny to attract interest sans a rivalry.

I agree completely.

The lighter divisions are just never going to attract the general public in any meaningful way. I don't think even Loma can do that.

------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Mares is one dirty POS who only ever had speed and tenacity, but was always very limited technically. Vic D beat his ass, Agbeko would have too and Santa Cruz of course beat his ass and will do so again. Nothing more to say. Mares has no serious power or technical skills to speak of, Santa Cruz hits much harder and is also a better technician.

Great fight! Played out very similar to the first one, especially with number of punches thrown. Think this was the best fight of the weekend for me.