Braehmer plans legal challenge to force Smith bout

The_budweiser

Jurgen Braehmer is planning a legal challenge in the hope of facing Callum Smith in the super-middleweight final of the world boxing super series (WBSS) final.

"I'm assuming I'm going to box and I've already got my lawyer on the case," Braehmer told German newspaper the Maerkische Oder Zeitung.

"I will prepare intensively for a fight against Smith."

A virus forced Braehmer, 39, out of his WBSS semi-final last month against Liverpool's undefeated Smith, who beat late stand-in Nieky Holzken on points in Nuremberg.

The super-middleweight final is planned for June when Smith, 27, will face fellow Englishman George Groves, 29, but the latter is recovering from shoulder surgery.

Reports in the UK media suggest the fight will be rescheduled for July 7 or 14, but Braehmer hopes a legal challenge could see him face Smith.

The German is a two-time former light-heavyweight world champion.

The WBSS winner will receive the Muhammad Ali Trophy, which carries a 50 million dollars prize fund split over super-middleweight and cruiserweight categories.

YAHOO

Re: Braehmer plans legal challenge to force Smith bout

The contract presumably states what will happen in the event of injury, though Groves didn't seem to know either...

Yes, I would be very surprised if the terms and conditions in the contract weren't tight enough to make this a hopeless attempt. I'm sure there will have been a clause stating that withdrawal through injury means that the fighter forfeits the right to progress through competition (and I highly doubt there was an automatic reinstatement clause in the advent that another fighter is subsequently injured - Sauerland would have stated this when there was speculation that Groves wouldn't be fit for the final). This looks more like Braehmer pushing his profile in order to try and get a fight with the eventual winner.