Scott Quigg has a pot belly.

repsac

Re: Scott Quigg has a pot belly.

Quigg is a local lad to me and I always liked him, not the sharpest knife in the draw but a decent lad no less. He really didn't get anywhere near the weight though which was quite ridiculous. Made worse by the fact he has for years banged the drum with saying how well drilled he is in terms of training, eating well and living the lifestyle, always in fighting condition.

It has since come out, post fight, that he had been battling an injury, a fractured foot. Not sure what to really make of that!

Regardless what a fight it was, brutal and a slugfest! Quigg looked so much bigger than Valdez in there, but man did he take a beating. Quigg with a broken nose, and Valdez with a broken jaw! Ouch!

--- is it a fight worth watching?

At any rate, the science of boiling fighters down to unnatural weights is part of the problem. Not even science short of starvation can stave of maturing bodies, and face it, missing weight is part of boxing history just like catchweight fights. The best solution is to mandate the fighter to the next highest class and most of the congenital part of the problem is solved.

--- is it a fight worth watching?

I think so, despite the wide scores, it was still a good fight back and forth, a slug fest, and brutal in its nature. They'll both be sore for a good while!!

Did you try to sort out your fight-score login by the way, old fool? :haha:

Dunno about pot belly - but Quigg is certainly a POT JUG. What sort of a moron misses the weight by 2 1/2 lbs ??!!!

He must be surrounding himself with idiots. He should sack his whole entourage of hangers on and get a grip of himself.

Dunno about pot belly - but Quigg is certainly a POT JUG. What sort of a moron misses the weight by 2 1/2 lbs ??!!!

Pot jug is Derby rhyming slang?

The weird thing is he seemed surprised, like he had no idea before he got on the scales - do they not check weights during camp??

The weird thing is he seemed surprised, like he had no idea before he got on the scales - do they not check weights during camp??

As I alluded to in a previous post, Scott doesn't have much between the ears. It wouldn't surpise me at all if he didn't have a clue what he eats and does, he just gets told what to do and he follows.

No it just became an expression, locally, I dunno about further a-field, when straight pint drinking glasses came into fashion in pubs around the late 70s early 80s and became the weapon of choice for piss heads to attack us doormen with. The old "pot jug" with a handle (dimple glass) that real-ale drinkers still favour now was useless for this (too heavy/clumsy and you can see someone swinging it a mile off) - hence the expression - for someone/something that is useless (a pot jug).

No it just became an expression, locally, I dunno about further a-field, when straight pint drinking glasses came into fashion in pubs around the late 70s early 80s and became the weapon of choice for piss heads to attack us doormen with. The old "pot jug" with a handle (dimple glass) that real-ale drinkers still favour now was useless for this (too heavy/clumsy and you can see someone swinging it a mile off) - hence the expression - for someone/something that is useless (a pot jug).

Is the "pot jug" you speak of a "tankard" then? :noidea:

--- Guy I knew from way back when got talked into staging a demonstration of unionization of a bar way out in the country.

Needless to say, that precipitated a brawl where he got knocked out by a blow to the back of the head by a heavy duty glass mug. He was never right afterwards and hopefully passed in his sleep at his boardinghouse before he became homeless. I bought a couple of small drawings from him, and one looks to be the frontrunner for the cover of my next book, my science fiction debut.

Mum's the word...shhhhh...

Is the "pot jug" you speak of a "tankard" then? :noidea:

BeerGlass.jpg

One of them, though tankard can mean anything so it depends if that's what you mean by a tankard...

These have always seemed a lot more practical to me than the modern glasses - why were they phased out?

attachment.php?attachmentid=1003&d=1520813288&thumb=1

One of them, though tankard can mean anything so it depends if that's what you mean by a tankard...

These have always seemed a lot more practical to me than the modern glasses - why were they phased out?

Yea thats the fellah.

Well the story locally is that incrementally all glass has been phased out of town centre pubs in the "Pubwatch" area due to the amount of attacks and injuries caused. To be replaced by a composite material that looks and feels like glass but that shatters on impact rather than creating shards. (Much different to the old plastic glasses).

I still see bearded old men in poor clothing drinking real ale out of tankards (or dimple mugs) in out of town pubs....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1003[/ATTACH]

That's the one, a heavy glass with side handle to grip. Definitely more slip / spill friendly, and I would imagine rather damaging if swung at someone, but as Selij alluded to you can see the swing a mile off.

Anyway this has somewhat sidetracked the topic! :haha:

He must be surrounding himself with idiots. He should sack his whole entourage of hangers on and get a grip of himself.

He's with Freddy Roach now. So, you'd think they'd have a professional set up there and monitor his weight and get him spot on for the weigh-in.

I was pretty shocked that Quigg came in over the weight. I'm sure getting down to weight isn't a walk in the park for him but he's not one of those fighters who are continually reported as killing themselves to make weight. What's more Quigg is widely reputed to be a consummate professional when it comes to preparation and focus on his fights. The fact that an injury is being cited as the cause of this makes a lot of sense. I still think the honourable thing to do would have been to agree to a day-of weigh in (that the Valdez team apparently requested). It always takes away from the fight when one fighter is illegitimately advantaged like this.

So, you'd think they'd have a professional set up there

100% not the case is it? Bunch of amateurs. Quigg looked surprised too - prob never been on the scales for a month. As Kammie would say: "unbelievable!"