Clenelo Alvarez fails drugs test

The_budweiser

Clenelo Alvarez tests positive for Clenbuterol; Golden Boy issue statement

As part of the voluntary testing program that Canelo Alvarez insisted on ahead of his May 5 fight, one of his results came back positive for trace levels of Clenbuterol, consistent with meat contamination that has impacted dozens of athletes in Mexico over the last years.

Canelo Alvarez tests positive for Clenbuterol; Golden Boy issue statement - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Canelo Alvarez fails drugs test

Having been aware of the "contaminated meat issue" in his country since the 2011 report Bud quoted - he still eats it, fails the test and then blames the "issue". Not convinced by all this myself. And now, due to this "issue" he moves camps to USA.

If he hadn't been caught he would still be there, eating contaminated meat, presumably? Or more likely taking Clen and blaming the meat. Absolute joke. Hope the fight gets called off.

What should happen is this:

If you are found with any banned substance, you get suspended for 6 months, or whatever. It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not you still have an illegal edge.

If you can give a reasonable excuse, then you ONLY get the suspension.

If you can't give a reasonable excuse, then you get fined something like half of your next fight's income.

(That way, high-level fighters get spanked just as hard as low-level fighters.)

--- No, a fighter does not always have some kind of edge with a so called, "failed" drug test when the drug testing agencies have been drunkenly derelict in their release of the results and non transparent in how they conduct their business.

As long as they cannot pass their own drug tests, they are otherwise proven to be for these many years to be about 96% useless my my estimation. Standard boxing commish protocol has proven to be superior in the few boxing busts there have been.

If you are found with any banned substance, you get suspended for 6 months, or whatever. It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not you still have an illegal edge.

If you can't give a reasonable excuse, then you get fined something like half of your next fight's income.

Thats the most intelligent solution you have come up with for years, Cable. :thumb:

I don’t think Canelo would take drugs to help him win. I think he’s too proud and would rather lose than cheat and take something bad to enhance his performance. I mean I could be completely wrong of course but he doesn’t come across as the kind of boxer who would do that.

I don’t think the fight should be called off but they should investigate further. Maybe even check and test his meat stack for Clenbuterol. Even GGG doesn’t want the fight to be postponed.

Anyway to lead to the lucrative trilogy, eh?

Seems harsh to punish people blindly for unintentional mistakes but after a few cases I bet you we’d see fighters taking a lot more precautions which is what they should be doing anyway. And I’m sure that would gradually start showing us the true cheats from the ‘accidental cheats’ who are still making mistakes that millions of dollars in purses should help them to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk