Does Parker really have any chance against Joshua?

The_budweiser

Does Parker really have any chance?

Although Parker’s backed, Joshua continues to be the huge favourite

VhnsDqLAGdd8fywRiksUPAhO5bC8lrq_UutWT8DuYN9ZwIROqGn6ThGIkPlHmFQNVeTWPxDTzfM1efTNrCg8D0hesQz33NPdJDViu3-H0A-I2dj2zw4xQ4duzPX94_spOZqYJrX86Lg7J5JCZA

Whenever there’s a big boxing bout featuring a short-priced favourite, it’s normal to see the underdog taking the most number of wagers, and the favourite taking the biggest bets. The same is the case with the upcoming Anthony Joshua vs Joseph Parker fight scheduled for March 31st.

While the odds don’t make a very good reading for Joseph Parker’s team, as majority of the Joshua v Parker predictions favour the former, the New Zealander still holds a decent chance against the Brit champion.

Heavy betting on both Parker and Joshua

Although a good number of punters are backing Joshua in the winner market, far more value can be found in the other market types available for this match. You can bet on anything ranging from knockdown specials to round betting at the popular online bookmakers. A good number of third-party websites are also springing up offering expert analysis and detailed breakdown of the betting markets.

Does Parker really have any chance against the WBA, IBO and IBF heavyweight champion? While some bookies are offering very short odds in the range of 1/25 for the Joshua win, the offered odds for Parker causing an upset are around 13/2.

Joshua has enjoyed an amazing professional career till now, and sometimes it’s pretty hard to believe that the bloke is only 28 years old! People backing Joshua are heavily banking on the fact that he enjoys a 100% knockout record and is also a former Olympic gold medallist.

But Klitschko and Takam exposed a few of Joshua’s weaknesses

No matter how good Joshua’s record may be, it can’t be said that he is unbeatable. His last fight against Carlos Takam was stopped abruptly in the 10th round when many believed that it could’ve been easily continued. This was well-evident from how the referee was loudly booed by the fans in the stadium.

Talking about the Klitschko fight that Joshua won through technical knockout in the 11th round, the former actually brought Joshua down on the floor two times in the sixth round (the reason why some of the bookies are offering 6/1 odds on Joshua getting knocked down by Parker and yet winning the fight!). In fact, one of the judges had marked 95–93 in favour of Klitschko at the time of stopping the fight.

RvYhyXNWoOOacUH-7XkRKRMIZueGQAwX1VKHRbeEe1LQ0vQWSNGU5o-wUkJGGTl_snhPaJvgWsWydMRVM5pYQAZY6BO1M-FthNKPB7u8aSKCsz_4hWaGMcYlmK2sb_1zefnygY2TU9-VdaTlmA

Parker also hasn’t had it too easy

Parker has had his share of bad moments too. His bouts against Hughie Fury and Andy Ruiz (that won him the WBO title) both ended with scoring controversies. Regardless, he has redeemed himself time and again in the ring and has ample hand speed to cause some major trouble to Joshua on March 31. His amazing stamina and footwork are his two other very good qualities that’ll help him in that fight.

While the British media may be going gung-ho about the fight being just a stepping stone for Joshua to unify all the belts, many might have actually underestimated Joseph Parker’s abilities.

Does Parker really have any chance?

Re: Does Parker really have any chance against Joshua?

I watched a recent training video of Parker on the pads with his trainer on Facebook, I'll try find the link. He looked fit and really sharp. Maybe Parker needs a challenge like Joshua to get the best out of him.

But, going on past performances you have to do with a Joshua win most likely by KO.

I wouldn't think so, but then who the hell thought Fury would beat Klitschko??

Parker has never been anything special, and only Cable was ever hyping him on here as far as I can remember - sometimes he looks like he's improved and learnt something, then you get a fight like Takam and realise he's not that good. On the other hand, Joshua is not hard to hit and has shown vulnerability on a few occasions, so perhaps he could be hurt.

But I'm sticking with my long-held opinion that Parker will get smashed to bits.

I wouldn't think so, but then who the hell thought Fury would beat Klitschko??

Parker has never been anything special, and only Cable was ever hyping him on here as far as I can remember - sometimes he looks like he's improved and learnt something, then you get a fight like Takam and realise he's not that good. On the other hand, Joshua is not hard to hit and has shown vulnerability on a few occasions, so perhaps he could be hurt.

But I'm sticking with my long-held opinion that Parker will get smashed to bits.

Reports have been saying Parker has lost a stone in weight for the fight so far. So, maybe hes going to try and drag Joshua into the later rounds and see how his stamina is. Reports also say Joshua is losing weight so it will be interesting to see what both fighters weigh at the weigh-in.

I can't see past Joshua myself.

Parker has never been anything special, and only Cable was ever hyping him on here as far as I can remember - sometimes he looks like he's improved and learnt something, then you get a fight like Takam and realise he's not that good. On the other hand, Joshua is not hard to hit and has shown vulnerability on a few occasions, so perhaps he could be hurt. .

2-3 years ago, Parker was the darling of almost every boxing forum. EVERYBODY thought he had a shot at the title.

He has seemingly regressed since then. He hasn't gotten exposed, as much as he's literally gotten WORSE. He never had a very complex game plan, but he did have tremendous aggression and stamina. That seems to have disappeared. And he certainly hasn't learned any new offensive tricks form Kevin Barry. (Possibly the worst trainer in the sport today.)

Maybe Parker's losing weight now will make a big difference, and we'll see the old swarmer back in action. He'd better not coast for even a moment in this fight, since AJ only needs ONE opportunity to close the show.

Parker has looked pretty average in his last two outting, while AJ has got up off the canvas against on of the biggest puncher the division has seen and stopped him.

It might just so happen that Parker can dance around and pot shot at Joshua for 12 rounds and eek out a points win, but I'm not sure he can do it for that long without facing some wrath and power of AJ.

Also can't see past a stoppage win for Joshua, maybe in the mid rounds 6-9.

--- IE: "who the hell thought Fury would beat Klitschko??"

Always thought Fury had an excellent chance, most especially after Wlad postponed their first fight with injury. That preretirement version of Fury I would pick to beat Josh, but of course, Fury's time is past, so Josh looks poised to enter the great pantheon of champs.

That preretirement version of Fury I would pick to beat Josh, but of course, Fury's time is past, so Josh looks poised to enter the great pantheon of champs.

I was always a big fan of Fury but I'm not sure he'd beat Joshua even then - his chin isn't great and he beat Klitschko purely by doing something to Klitschko's nothing.

With Parkers current trainer, No unfortunately he doesn't have a chance.

That' it, in a nutshell.

I'm absolutely THRILLED that Parker's former stabelmate, Ugonoh, has finally gotten far away from Kevin Barry. He's back in Poland, fighting local guys and (presumably) working with a different trainer.

Ugonoh has the physical attributes to be an elite, I mean absolutely rule the division for years. - But like Parker, his offense is absurdly one-dimensional. I'm definitely keeping an eye on him now.

Parker? Feh. No 1-punch power, and once you figure him out, he has nothing new to try. AJ eats him for lunch.

I don't expect Parker to win by any stretch, but I still think it's fair to say that he has a chance to do so. He'll need to rely on his chin holding up against Joshua's power (and not to get hit with too many big shots, of course!) and then handspeed and movement. His defence has been pretty porous over his past couple of fights so I expect Joshua to get to him at various points in the right but if he can tighten that up whilst putting enough pressure on Joshua to try and tire him as the fight goes on then he has a shot at taking a decision. All of that said, I think Joshua either stops him late or has him in enough trouble at various points that it becomes a pretty clear UD.

--- A not so odd conundrum of the English language with double or quadruple meanings. Perhaps this modification enhances your understanding.

""--- Parker has fought vastly inferior opponents than the ring excellence Josh has shown.""