Unexpected unifiied champions of the world

pittbox

Can you name some boxers who achieved a success of holding at least two major belts at the same time, but probably wouldn't be regarded as really "great" fighters ?

I think Daniel Geale is a good example from the recent years. Won the IBF fitle after beating Sebastian Sylvester by split decision. He defended the title by two decision wins on Eromosele Albert and Osumanu Adama. He conquered also the WBA title after split decision win on Felix Sturm. WBA quickly stripped him of this title and Geale defended IBF crown once more by the win on Mundine. He lost this belt by losing to Darren Barker by split decision. He fought for world title two times more, but lost by KO to Golovkin and Cotto. KO defeat from the hands of Renold Quinlan ended his career.

His stats didn't look too bad. He defended IBF title four times, which is not a bad result, but I think that not a lot of people will remember him as a unified champion. He wasn't a very exciting boxer as he never won a championship fight by KO. He never succeeded on American market as he lost all his three fights in the USA and he went seriously past prime rather quickly. Fighting most of his "prime" fights in Australia didn't help his popularity either. I think European fans probably saw his wins over Sylvester and Sturm, but not the other fights won by Geale.

Re: Unexpected unifiied champions of the world

I think I've missed even more obvious example - Julius Indongo. On 3rd December of 2016 he was a huge underdog against Eduard Troyanovsky. Five months later he became a unified WBA and IBF champion. He didn't look too good, but took part in a rare fight for four major belts against Crawford. Don't overlook his fight against Regis Prograis on 9th March. We're going to find out what he's capable of.

--- Neon Leon. No other heavy champ in history loses to Leon save that derelict version of Ali who had been circling the drain for years.

Of course they soon stripped Leon for rematching Ali, but still, Leon was living the faerie tale for many moons before sinking into his own morass.

--- Neon Leon. No other heavy champ in history loses to Leon save that derelict version of Ali who had been circling the drain for years.

Of course they soon stripped Leon for rematching Ali, but still, Leon was living the faerie tale for many moons before sinking into his own morass.

What I don't get is how Neon Leon managed to stop Bernardo Mercado...the guy was coming off ko wins over Berbick and Shavers. Guess he must have tired badly after the 8th round, he was stopped in the 9th.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I've missed even more obvious example - Julius Indongo. On 3rd December of 2016 he was a huge underdog against Eduard Troyanovsky. Five months later he became a unified WBA and IBF champion. He didn't look too good, but took part in a rare fight for four major belts against Crawford. Don't overlook his fight against Regis Prograis on 9th March. We're going to find out what he's capable of.

After watching the fight against Prograis, I think that we can confirm that Indongo isn't so good for a unfifiied champ. He's surely awkward, fast and tall, but he can't take a punch at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to name Hugo Corro, undisputed middleweight champion when he beat Rodrigo Valdez in 1970. Then he fought three times in his home Argentina, before facing Vito Antuofermo, and loose his titles.

burnett is still a young champion, but he still has pretty big flaws for a unified champion. His wins to get both belts were alright, but haskins and zhakiyanov are not

exactly the best champions around.

Would like to see him face off against tete in the future.